Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High fuel consumption - what else could it be

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

As you have Techstream what are the short and long term fuel trims ?

The Aygo (1KR) does not use a MAF, it uses an Intake Air Temperature sensor (IAT) and MAP sensor

Edit, Check the rubber boot between the air box and throttle body (Left rear of the engine as you look at it) for cracks and splits and make sure the clamp is tight

Hi Sam,

Saw the Title of this post and for a minute thought it was one of yours from long ,long ago, when you had similar mpg problems with your old Corolla...

You have had a load of sensors etc replaced, had they gone faulty or did you replace just to see if that was causing the high mpg ?

Touch wood , on the old Corolla haven't had to replace anything on the whole engine or exhaust apart from a slipping clutch at 80k, now over 120k

Could it just be your normal driving style and a strong right foot that causes the lower mpg compared to some other users ?

Still manage a 40mpg average on my old 1.6 yet still able to surprise some with good acceleration.

Also been meaning to take a look at the Yaris and Auris but the new lockdown beat us to it !  Some interesting reviews about  them  on Ytube.

23 hours ago, garethpaul said:

Have a look at this video

Don't touch the little element and make sure it's completely dry before putting it back in.

Cheers for the video. Looks easy enough although I'd like to avoid removing the throttle housing! I'm sure i can get in there without 

3 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi Sam,

Saw the Title of this post and for a minute thought it was one of yours from long ,long ago, when you had similar mpg problems with your old Corolla...

You have had a load of sensors etc replaced, had they gone faulty or did you replace just to see if that was causing the high mpg ?

Touch wood , on the old Corolla haven't had to replace anything on the whole engine or exhaust apart from a slipping clutch at 80k, now over 120k

Could it just be your normal driving style and a strong right foot that causes the lower mpg compared to some other users ?

Still manage a 40mpg average on my old 1.6 yet still able to surprise some with good acceleration.

Also been meaning to take a look at the Yaris and Auris but the new lockdown beat us to it !  Some interesting reviews about  them  on Ytube.

Now here is an old friend that I haven't heard from in gosh...how long? 

Good to hear from you Oldcodger! It almost feels like we are family! 

That old corolla SR of mine was a beauty. I seem to go for good looking models but cost me in mpg's! The old days hey.

Cant believe you still have your corolla. Proud of you. You've done well my friend. If circumstances doesn't make me change my car its boredom.

I'm beginning to believe that it is my right foot you know! The thing with my Aygo anyway is within what feels like milliseconds...I can hit 50 to 60 mph in no time...I always adhere to the speed limit I must admit...but I have been told by the other half that I accelerate too quick and brake too late. Does this mean I have to change my shoes? Or make my leg shorter?

• Like 2

Back in the day, before trip computers and built-in consumption statistics, I used to use a Scangauge to monitor bits and bobs including fuel consumption, and found it invaluable in working out how to drive economically.

You can configure the scangauge to display instantaneous and average fuel consumption, along with other niceties such as water temperature and inlet temperature.  You tell the scangauge how much fuel you add at each fuel-up and it auto-calibrates itself too becoming more accurate as time passes which is nice (my Aygo’s built in fuel consumption reading is always 2-4 mpg optimistic and can’t be calibrated).

It plugs into your OBD2 port and I stuck mine in the centre cubby where it was visible but didn’t get in the way.

Find the scangauge here https://www.scangauge2.co.uk

On the subject of determining your own average fuel consumption manually there seems to be some confusion about the process.  Here’s a summary:

* Refuel until the petrol station pump “clicks off”, that’s the point at which the pump detects your tank is full.  Different pumps at different petrol stations are set to different sensitivities so ideally always use the same pump at the same station for maximum accuracy. Note also that some pumps are overly sensitive and can prematurely click-off just because of the filler-neck backing up, to combat this don’t fill full-bore if the pump keeps cutting off.

* Reset your odometer on the dashboard to zero (scroll through and a long press to reset)

* Drive until you want to refuel, the lower the fuel tank gets the more accurate the test becomes.

* Refuel using the same click technique above and note the litres added and your odometer reading before resetting it and starting again.

* Calculate your fuel consumption.

Miles travelled / Litres of fuel added x 4.54 = miles per gallon 

I’ve owned a string of Aygos and the fuel consumption has been remarkably consistent across them all :

Blue 53.4

Black 56.3

Fire 53.4

X-Clusive 54.4

X-Clusive2 54.1

JBL 51.7

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 8:34 PM, garethpaul said:

whatever you do, don't clean your maf sensor with carb cleaner - use IPA, or electrical contact cleaner as it will leave no residue to cause issues, e.g.:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/lubricating-and-penetrating-oil/halfords-electrical-contact-cleaner-500ml-621335.html

Being doing it for years, as an ex Alpina technician never had problems, you spray it whilst the car runs at an idle say 2000rpm and with manifold depression it will pull any spray along with the dirt off the MAF into the manifold thus not leaving any dried residue you talk of. Very safe and effective.

J

On 1/12/2021 at 9:47 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Cheers ill try this but using the electrical cleaner to be safe. But please tell me...do I just remove the maf sensor...connected to the air filter box I assume...and spray it all down?

Its safe to use carb or brake cleaner, been using it for years!! I was a technian for BMW Alpina and Renault Motors and it was used all day long by the technicians.

J

Hard acceleration, braking last moment I think we all know now why your Aygo uses more petrol then others 😊🚗👍

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hard acceleration, braking last moment I think we all know now why your Aygo uses more petrol then others 😊🚗👍

I'm beginning to think I AM THE PROBLEM! Still I'm gona try cleaning my maf and calculating my mpg as I go along

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

I'm beginning to think I AM THE PROBLEM! Still I'm gona try cleaning my maf and calculating my mpg as I go along

Blue Tac a glass of water on a flat part of your dashboard, see if you can drive without it being spilt, if you can then you likely to get better mpg. 👍

15 hours ago, Catlover said:

Blue Tac a glass of water on a flat part of your dashboard, see if you can drive without it being spilt, if you can then you likely to get better mpg. 👍

Nice 1 old codger. I'll let it freeze over night and then test your idea! See how that works!

On a serious note...im a day in to driving more...smoothly shall we say

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Afternoon All,

Just to update, mission completed yesterday re maf sensor clean out, was a bit tricky removing the sensor, very tight indeed, had to feel for the sensor itself and the two bolts holding it in place, removing the top air box helped.

Upon inspection it looked in a terrible state, found what looked like an oily residue, how does that happen exactly? Anyway gave it a good clean using my electrical contact clean spray, air dried and put back in!

Results, definitely a noticeable improvement im glad to say, however whether it will improve mpg, time will tell!

20210116_143420.jpg

• Like 1

its normal ...the engine recirculates any oil fumes into the inlet , so yeah it will coat it eventually

Hi! Doing hypermiling with Aygo mk1 and mk2 here 😄

I drive in the best conditions: good well-inflated tyres, no option that adds weight (bare 'X' version), 100% highway, nightshifts so no traffic, lightened car (many parts removed), often slow lorrys to follow closely to practice drafting...

My experience is:
- do not expect any record under 6-mile trips, trip length has a tremendous impact, my daily commute is 2 x 16 miles, which is fine
- do not expect to break records if you exceed 55-60 mph, max speed has an impact
- I have tested different fuels in the same conditions: the cheapest fuel from supermarket gas stations offer a better autonomy and better comfort!
- in winter, the fuel economy is slightly worse due to cold air and winter tyres

The mk2 made huge improvements. When I moved on to the Aygo 2, even with a brand new car with thicker oil, I instantly beat the previous record of my mk1!

My record is around 62 MPG but I admit it means many sacrifices. Drivers around me and my passengers want to kill me when I drive this way!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, zuh said:

I drive in the best conditions: good well-inflated tyres, no option that adds weight (bare 'X' version), 100% highway, nightshifts so no traffic, lightened car (many parts removed), often slow lorrys to follow closely to practice drafting...

My experience is:
- do not expect any record under 6-mile trips, trip length has a tremendous impact, my daily commute is 2 x 16 miles, which is fine
- do not expect to break records if you exceed 55-60 mph, max speed has an impact
- I have tested different fuels in the same conditions: the cheapest fuel from supermarket gas stations offer a better autonomy and better comfort!
- in winter, the fuel economy is slightly worse due to cold air and winter tyres

The mk2 made huge improvements. When I moved on to the Aygo 2, even with a brand new car with thicker oil, I instantly beat the previous record of my mk1!

My record is around 62 MPG but I admit it means many sacrifices. Drivers around me and my passengers want to kill me when I drive this way!

so whats the saving in ££  ?   i drive mine anyhow i like , not racing but not being carefull and see at least 56mpg or better , is it worth following trucks to save so little?

Following tracks not a good idea at all., unless you follow way behind, driving sensibly is all we need. 

22 hours ago, zuh said:

Have you tried 'grill-blocking'?  That is, reducing the size of the (external) radiator grille with pipe insulating foam etc.