Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel swap possible?

jamie296

Hi,

Can I swap the 16" wheels on a 1.5 Hybrid Design 5dr CVT for the 15" wheels that come on the Icon?

Thanks,

Jamie

You'll need to check the effect of the different wheel/tyre combination on the speedometer - there are websites available for you to calculate whether the speedo will over or under read, and bear in mind it is illegal for the speedo to under read (ie. show less than the true speed).

You will also need to inform your insurer as it will be a change to the standard specification of your car (ie. a modification).

Yes you can without problems as long as you follow the size chart and recommended sizes. Best to buy and use original Toyota wheels as these very likely been accepted by the insurance as accessories and does not need to be made any changes to the current policy, however best to ask them. 
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/yaris/2016/

Some excel models also have 15" alloys, the taller side wall makes the car ride a lot better (less harsh) - tyres are also cheaper, don't forget you may need tpms sensors too

Hi,

I have only just joined the forum and already got a bunch of nice and useful replies, thanks.

My reason for asking is that we are planning on buying a relatively new Yaris Hybrid, maybe  2017/18 and keeping it for a very long time, at least over 10 years (our current Nissan Micra is an X reg/2000).  We really like the dual colour 'Design' models but wanted the smaller wheels: comfort, tyre cost, mpg etc.

I have noticed second hand that the genuine 16 inch alloys actually seem to cost more than the 15 inch so hopefully I can maybe get them swapped for free!

Thanks,

Jamie

• Thanks 1

Hi.

If you have any issues with insurance for a change of wheels then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Best to buy and use original Toyota wheels as these very likely been accepted by the insurance as accessories and does not need to be made any changes to the current policy

Doesn't matter that the wheels are available as accessories, the spec of the car is being changed and that is what the insurer is interested in. When you take out or renew car insurance, you contractually agree there have been no changes to the standard specification, which, in this case, will be 16 inch wheels. If you change to another size, you are changing the spec of your vehicle, and the insurer will want to know.

If the manual of the car doesn't specify tire sizes for 16", you can do all the calculations yourself at https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Just make sure that the total height of the new tire is close to equal as the height of the tire that's currently on your vehicle to avoid mismatch with your tacho.

Nonetheless, first check if your current setup has an error on your speed. My yaris' tacho is 6-8% off by default with 175/55/14. I currently have 205/55/15, which was incorrect, I should've bought 195/60/15 instead, but they work well and the car handles way better in turns (understeers less quickly). Going with slightly larger tires will reduce this tacho error (and perhaps would save on fuel since the engine will run at a lower RPM, although the type of rims you use (open or closed designs) greatly affect the fuel consumption).