Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Member & Help Required Please

Roars

Hey, I'm Rory 🙂

I picked up a nice 1.8 VVTi, 02 reg last July, after getting back from traveling, and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

She has 127,000 on the clock, and has been running smothly since this morning until after I filled the tank up.

There's a rattle noise comming from the engine 😞 From what I've google'd, it could be an ignition coil? I've asked my dad and he's say's it sounds like the camshaft?

I've uploaded the video for the sound, to youtube: https://youtu.be/bbd3OdyG11Q

What I've done so far; is not much tbh as I dont know alot, but I have checked the oil, which admittedly did need topping up as it was at the very end of the dip stick.

Please can anyone suggest posible issues as I realy enjoy this car and don't want it to die on me.

Many Thanks

Rory 🙂 

How long have you had the car?  When was it last serviced (I would imagine some time ago if the engine oil was low)

So, the engine was not producing this noise until you filled up with fuel this morning?    Just fact finding.

Same fuel from same garage as other times? 

Not changed the grade of the fuel?   What grade fuel does the car handbook say?    (it is a sporty car and may need higher grade fuel)

Welcome to the forum take the oil filler cap off and see if the noise is louder if it was the camshaft I would have thought it would still make the noise on tickover might be a broken valve spring is the engine misfiring? If you feel that the noise is coming from the top of the engine take the cam cover off if you are able and check the lobes on the camshaft to see if they are scored also check valve springs rockers etc.

3 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

Welcome to the forum take the oil filler cap off and see if the noise is louder if it was the camshaft I would have thought it would still make the noise on tickover might be a broken valve spring is the engine misfiring? If you feel that the noise is coming from the top of the engine take the cam cover off if you are able and check the lobes on the camshaft to see if they are scored also check valve springs rockers etc.

An update just listened to the noise again sounds like the engine is vibrating on  something else that is loose can’t see that the noise is related to the fact you topped up with fuel just out of curiosity push the clutch pedal in and see if the noise stops or is reduced this will eliminate the DMF If it has one as they rattle if they are on the way out.

Hi Joe & Christopher,

Thanks for your responses, in answer to your questions:

Since July 2020, 6 months, and the service book hasn't been updated since 2011, although I MOT'd it in August.

Correct, the vehicle has been quiet untill this morning after I filled up. I've only used this pertrol station once before (I think), Which they only had 95 Unleaded. 

I've not changed the grade, she was quite low on petrol before filling up, if this helps.

I've taken the oil filler cap off and it's the same volume & It still rattles with the clutch down.

Ouch..that sounds nasty and expensive.....rather like the infamous Celica "death rattle" (hope not)...I'd do some googling and see what you think...explore all the possibilities I guess.

Great cars...I had my Celi 140 for over 2 years...loved every minute of it and still miss it for sheer driving pleasure..never put a foot wrong tbh...and never used a drop of oil.

Sorry, Rory.

The infamous pre face lift VVTi "death rattle" strikes once again.

Remedy..used (not rebuilt) face lift engine, or scrap the car.

At least 52 plate on examples are dirt cheap these days (you get bigger front brakes and a much nicer interior too).

Thank you all for your responses 👍

I've spoken to a few more friends today and going to attempt their recoendations tomorrow as well.

I'm hoping it's not the death rattle 🤞