Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOTing a hybrid

Auris Geezer

Having bought my hybrid from the local main dealer with it's first MOT, I was just wondering how they did the immissions test.  How do they keep the engine running to complete the test?  Just curious.

I don’t think they do an emissions test. That is what a friend says when he takes his Prius for MOT and watches it being done.

• Thanks 1

Hybrids are exempt form the emissions test

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes they don’t do it however if you want to keep engine running you can do so with putting the car into maintenance mode.

• Thanks 1

The story that I'd heard (true?, I don't know), was that a lack of research on the part of the government MoT technical staff , meant that when the first Prius hybrids arrived in the UK, the officials couldn't work out how to force the engine into running continuously to get it up to temperature for the tailpipe test, so they just exempted it from the emissions test completely, and always have done since.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Yes they don’t do it however if you want to keep engine running you can do so with putting the car into maintenance mode.

How do you do that please?

43 minutes ago, Gerg said:

The story that I'd heard (true?, I don't know), was that a lack of research on the part of the government MoT technical staff , meant that when the first Prius hybrids arrived in the UK, the officials couldn't work out how to force the engine into running continuously to get it up to temperature for the tailpipe test, so they just exempted it from the emissions test completely, and always have done since.

That's an urban myth - it's just not practical for a MOT stations to have multiple systems to test all the different types and variations - don't forget hybrid's have been about since the early 2000's  everything is taken care of at the type approval stage

you can put the car in dynamometer mode with techstream but I'm unsure if the likes Autel and Snap-off support the PID/Function

3 hours ago, Auris Geezer said:

How do you do that please?

Just like that 😊👍

• Like 3

Awesome, thanks Tony.

Saved that for future reference.

Cheers, Trev.

• Thanks 1