Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo or new Yaris, or old Yaris: Automatic GearBox reliability

karmakoma

Hello dear Community Members,

I am here because this year I want to buy a Toyota. Actually my budget is max 19000 euro and I have this usage profile:

• 15/18000 km per year
  • Daily commuting to work (11 Km to go and 11 to come back)
  • Daily usage of a ramp to exit the garage (15% inclination)
  • Almost 3 times per week going to a Mall + Gym which have parking spots on the 4th floor (So ramping up again)
  • Living in Germany (Munich) so a lot of salts during winter on the street due to snow
  • I would say that 70% of time is spent in extra-city streets and 30% in the traffic
  • Most of my travels occurs via Plane, but I would like to manage 1/2 times per year long trip (each around 800 km t come and go)
  • No children but I have a girlfriend (we both are small LOL)

Here my choices:

• Aygo x-shift new or max 1 year used
  • Old Yaris Hybrid used max 1 year
  • New Yaris with Multidrive S (125hp with CVT 10 steps)

Which of these are more suitable for my usage and more reliable? In particular I mentioned the "ramp" because I am looking into Automatic cars and some of them with CVT only and I would like to have something that remains reliable (only normal service per year) for at least 5 years. I had other options (Suzuki, and Mazda) but:

• Suzuki -> Jatco CVT that probably suffers a lot with the ramps and the quality overall is not so good as far as I understand
  • Mazda -> Mazda 2 with automatic gearbox is nice but shape and consumption are so lala

Last question: do you experience problems with RUST? is some proactive action suggested to avoid it, or is it not required?? (See my mention about the salt on street).

I rely on your opinion and experience,

thank to all for contribute! 

The Aygo X-shift has a manual gearbox with automated clutch, so more of a semi automatic.

Whilst the Aygo is perfectly capable of long journeys, either of the Yaris would be probably be more comfortable - more interior room, more refined, etc.

The yaris feels better put together than the Aygo imho, its down to personal preference, go and drive some cars, i know that it's difficult in these current times

the Gen3 hybrid gives good mpg and is an urban/extra urban car, the gearbox can get loud at motorway (70mph) speeds

We only get the Gen4 yaris with the 3 cylinder 1.5 hybrid here in the uk

Auto gearboxes - Jatco CVT gearboxes are junk at 50-60k miles, and they will die, usually exploding internally in 90% of cases are unrepairable, Toyota CVT's are reliable the eCVT in the gen3 is a similar design to the Prius what has been proven to do 300k+ miles with fluid changes, but they are a very different type of gearbox compared to a normal CVT

• Like 1

I forgot to add:

• For me is important the reliability: I want to keep the car min. 5 years and I will always do the Maintenance in Toyota; I prefer to spend a bit more now and not lose the nerve to bring the car to repair for stupid things, over the normal service
  • Unfortunately the Last yaris Hybrid is expensive so i was figuring out if the CVT not Hybrid could be a good options even if it has 3 cylinder (1.5 liter) and if the Multidrive S transmission can easily overtake 100.000 KM according to my described usage
  • Halb Automatic is also fine...I not want to push any clutch, this is my aim, but I guess here the clutch might redone (How often?? every 100.000 km??)

What is your opinion?

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

The yaris feels better put together than the Aygo imho, its down to personal preference, go and drive some cars, i know that it's difficult in these current times

the Gen3 hybrid gives good mpg and is an urban/extra urban car, the gearbox can get loud at motorway (70mph) speeds

We only get the Gen4 yaris with the 3 cylinder 1.5 hybrid here in the uk

Auto gearboxes - Jatco CVT gearboxes are junk at 50-60k miles, and they will die, usually exploding internally in 90% of cases are unrepairable, Toyota CVT's are reliable the eCVT in the gen3 is a similar design to the Prius what has been proven to do 300k+ miles with fluid changes, but they are a very different type of gearbox compared to a normal CVT

I understand that based on my list the most suitable is the Yaris with CVT not Hybrid, correct?

I would go for the Yaris hybrid. Toyota have been building hybrids for over 20 years now and the hybrid engineering has proved to be solid as a rock. Many Toyota Prius have done more then 150,000 miles, some over 300,000 miles.   Remember with a full hybrid vehicle, which Toyota are as opposed to a “mild hybrid” which many new cars are, the petrol engine may have been used for 40%-50% of the time, so 100,000 miles on the clock means 40k-50k miles done by engine. Like any car, engine oil changes are important, right grade, right service intervals.     Do remember a Toyota hybrid does not have a clutch, nor starter motor, nor an alternator..... all expensive items to repair/replace.  You may pay more for a Hybrid Yaris, but they hold value so potentially will give you more back when you sell.  A Toyota hybrid should still sell well in 10 years . My wife’s Auris hybrid will be 11 years old this year, still looks and drives very well, and in the 3 years we had it, it has not lost a lot in value due to the increase demand for used hybrids in the uk.                
I find the Toyota hybrid driving experience is very relaxing, most easiest car to drive I have had, and in 56 years of driving I have had many cars/vans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

I would go for the Yaris hybrid. Toyota have been building hybrids for over 20 years now and the hybrid engineering has proved to be solid as a rock. Many Toyota Prius have done more then 150,000 miles, some over 300,000 miles.   Remember with a full hybrid vehicle, which Toyota are as opposed to a “mild hybrid” which many new cars are, the petrol engine may have been used for 40%-50% of the time, so 100,000 miles on the clock means 40k-50k miles done by engine. Like any car, engine oil changes are important, right grade, right service intervals.     Do remember a Toyota hybrid does not have a clutch, nor starter motor, nor an alternator..... all expensive items to repair/replace.  You may pay more for a Hybrid Yaris, but they hold value so potentially will give you more back when you sell.  A Toyota hybrid should still sell well in 10 years . My wife’s Auris hybrid will be 11 years old this year, still looks and drives very well, and in the 3 years we had it, it has not lost a lot in value due to the increase demand for used hybrids in the uk.                
I find the Toyota hybrid driving experience is very relaxing, most easiest car to drive I have had, and in 56 years of driving I have had many cars/vans.

But it is over my budget unless looking for a Yaris my20 second hand (1 year old maybe)...

I stopped buying new vehicles some years ago now, loose to much as soon as they come out of showroom. One year old is fine, now problem with two or three year old, so long as dealer stamped service history at due time/mileage,   Go drive an hybrid if you haven’t already, I sure you will be impressed.  Get a decent test drive, 15-20 miles, not just round the block.

57 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I stopped buying new vehicles some years ago now, loose to much as soon as they come out of showroom. One year old is fine, now problem with two or three year old, so long as dealer stamped service history at due time/mileage,   Go drive an hybrid if you haven’t already, I sure you will be impressed.  Get a decent test drive, 15-20 miles, not just round the block.

Sorry to ask, but is it possible to keep the original Warranty even if the vehicle is used? let imagine that the 1 owner bought the car and subscribed 5 years warranty...does this warranty comes automatically to the new owner if the 5 years are not expired?

Another question: are the component you mentioned so "easy to break" in 5 years usage? I am planning to keep the car 5/6 years max, this why i ask. COnsider that the CVT version of Yaris new cost 2000 euro less that the Hybrid and it doesn't have any clutch.
On the other side the smallest Aygo which I like to does not exist as Hybrid.
Please feel free to add your thoughts....i am very interested in this conversation!

Hi Daniele, you are listed as Other/Non-Uk si I dont know what the Toyota importer in your country does in terms of warranty. In the UK the warranty follows the car, so as long as the terms of the warranty are adhered to then it will still be "live" for the term.  Another thing with the hybrid Battery here in the UK which may or may not be the case where you live, is that the warranty on the hybrid Battery can extend up to 15 years as long as the car is serviced at a Toyota dealer in accord with time/mileage.  The hybrid battery is what a lot of buyers have concern about, BUT the fact Toyota are willing to extend the warranty up to 15 years....what does that tell you about the confidence Toyota has in its hybrid batteries????   What they do is test the Battery whilst the car is in for service, no cost for the battery check.

Re "are the component you mentioned so "easy to break" in 5 years usage?",  what parts are you referring to???  If its the hybrid parts, they dont seem to cause problems.

+1 for Toyota hybrid over any other make and model. 19k euro may give you a chance to buy early model Toyota Corolla too, which may seems bigger car but also it’s a way better to drive than Yaris or Aygo, especially when you on the motorway. Efficiency, performance, reliability and anything you can imagine the hybrid is the best option. Most important information already been mentioned by fellow members and I couldn’t agree more with them, this is the car that will suits you the best. , the question is which model Toyota hybrid you can buy with your budget, this is a task left for you to decide. Do not worry to purchase a used hybrid, 3-5 years old even if the car had been well looked after will be as good as new, try to source one from local dealer and get it service with them is the best for long term ownership in case something needs repair under warranty. For the rust best advice is just drive and use as normal and when it’s time the car to be left without use for a day or longer a proper car wash will do it , try to wash under the car too, and of course regular car washes are the best solution rather than one full valet once in a while. If any Manufacturer Warranty is available  I believe will be transferred to the next owner. 
Yaris hybrid 2019 or Corolla hybrid 2019 are my best recommendation if within your budget and you able to test drive any of these. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

The length of the Toyota new car warranty does vary from country to country, as does the hybrid Battery warranty. Looking at Toyota Germany's website the new car warranty is 3 years or 100,000km, whichever occurs first, and the hybrid components warranty is 5 years/100,000km. There is also an option to purchase a 2 year extension of the new car warranty.

The remainder of the new car and hybrid components warranty is usually transferable without cost, So if you bought a 1 year old Yaris, you should still have around 2 years cover.

The hybrid Battery extended warranty (up to 15 years in the UK) may also vary from country to country. If the car is serviced by a Toyota dealer after expiry of the hybrid components warranty (Germany - 5 years/100,000km), the hybrid Battery warranty is extended by 1 year with a mileage limit which may vary from country to country. The age this warranty may be extended to will also vary from country to country.

Check Toyota Germany's website for exact detail.

I confirm that the extension here is 3+2+2...for the new yaris they asked 200 euro. Actually in terms of shape I prefer more the old yaris than the new and ther eis more space....so maybe the old yaris could be my choice, but is it worth to buy it 1/2 years used??

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, karmakoma said:

I confirm that the extension here is 3+2+2...for the new yaris they asked 200 euro. Actually in terms of shape I prefer more the old yaris than the new and ther eis more space....so maybe the old yaris could be my choice, but is it worth to buy it 1/2 years used??

No problems buying used one, these cars are built to last. 👍

3 hours ago, karmakoma said:

You will see, in the uk at least, used Yaris from the year 2003, that is 17 years old. Do you think a Yaris 1 or 2 years old could be a bad buy. Well yes, if grossly mistreated, but one from a main dealer will be a good one. Why worry unduly?