Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Question

Mikw

Me again, sorry to bother you all with any query, but i have a lovely new Toyota Yaris Hybrid. (first Toyota i've ever owned)

I see, in the manual, it takes "0w-8" oil, i'm not having much luck finding it. Would like to buy a litre to keep in the boot, Toyota UK's eBay shop doesn't have any, none on Amazon, and Halfords don't have the new Yaris in their configurator yet.

Guess it'll have to be the main dealer?

Motul do an 0W-8 engine oil, and there are a couple of online stores in the UK selling it - try a search for 'Motul 0W-8 engine oil'

Motul are a French company.

• Like 3

Hi,

I don’t think you have to worry about oil, coolant , filters etc for your car and  you probably no need to have them in the boot. It’s a brand new car and it will no need to top up or have as just in case since if something cause the car to need any of these will be likely a manufacturer defect covered by the warranty. Just regular checks is more than enough, in case u unsure just visit local dealer and you can ask them to check for you.  In case of emergency, you can top up oil 0w16 or 0w20 which are very similar to the 0w8 and will not be a problem, then visit dealer and ask for full oil and filter change but this is very unlikely event . Enjoy your new car.👍

• Like 2

1 litre is likely to be expensive, you may feel you carrying a gold bar in the boot.

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

1 litre is likely to be expensive, you may feel you carrying a gold bar in the boot.

Good point, i'll let you know!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, Opie Oils didn't have it unfortunately. I've phone the dealers "It's too new for us to have it but we'll order some in, don't know how much it will be though"

Try buycarparts.co.uk

found via an internet search, they say it’s in stock, 1 litre at £13.57, 4 litres at £47.10.  I don’t know if that exc VAT, nor know about delivery charge.

Have you tried your Toyota dealer, they should still be open as essential service.

but as Tony said earlier, don’t bother, today’s engineering is much better then “I was a lad”. New car, if you using that much it needs a top up there is something wrong with the car.

31 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Try buycarparts.co.uk

found via an internet search, they say it’s in stock, 1 litre at £13.57, 4 litres at £47.10.  I don’t know if that exc VAT, nor know about delivery charge.

Have you tried your Toyota dealer, they should still be open as essential service.

but as Tony said earlier, don’t bother, today’s engineering is much better then “I was a lad”. New car, if you using that much it needs a top up there is something wrong with the car.

Thanks! I just like to carry some around with me in case.

Yes, i phoned the dealers and they don't have any, but have said they're going to try and order some for me, price unknown at the moment.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:29 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

I don’t think you have to worry about oil, coolant , filters etc for your car and  you probably no need to have them in the boot. It’s a brand new car and it will no need to top up or have as just in case since if something cause the car to need any of these will be likely a manufacturer defect covered by the warranty. Just regular checks is more than enough, in case u unsure just visit local dealer and you can ask them to check for you.  In case of emergency, you can top up oil 0w16 or 0w20 which are very similar to the 0w8 and will not be a problem, then visit dealer and ask for full oil and filter change but this is very unlikely event . Enjoy your new car.👍

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

Try buycarparts.co.uk

I concur with the two above posts, all that is needed if you have an anxiety about the oil consumption in your new Yaris Hybrid is weekly check the oil levels. You have nothing to worry about, enjoy your Toyota Yaris Hybrid. I had a short test drive in one a few days ago, and in general found it a superior car to my 2019 model 🚗👍

• Like 2

As an aside, if the dealers don't stock this oil, what are they using to service these cars at the moment. Modern engines are designed to use a small amount of oil and are not 'oil tight' as years ago, so keeping some oil to top up if and when needed makes sense, whether carrying it around in the boot is required, I doubt. Unnecessary weight just reduces fuel economy.

• Like 1

These cars does not use oil at all, unless the car been neglected with skipped oil service or wrong oil in you may never need to top up in between oil changes. The difference between max and min on the dipstick is 1 ltr therefore if the oil level gets closer to the min at the end of its lifetime (10k miles or 12 months) that’s fine, you can just leave it like that. What dealers using, perhaps 0w20 which is almost the same oil IMO. These cars are just released and I don’t think anyone has had its first service yet , not even the rental fleet. .,  dealers still have time to source some oil of the exact spec. 👍

• Like 1

Dealers may not have retail packs, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't have a supply for servicing. Dealers buy in bulk for use in their service departments.

Some other Toyota models changed over to 0W-16 in 2020 (Aygo, C-HR, Corolla, Prius, Rav4) and the same would apply to these as regards servicing.

• Like 1

Said it a few times on this forum.

Only opened the bonnet on ours for ONLY two reasons over the few years we've owned it.

Finding out how to open and close it, and to change the headlight bulbs.  That's all.

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Dealers may not have retail packs, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't have a supply for servicing. Dealers buy in bulk for use in their service departments.

Some other Toyota models changed over to 0W-16 in 2020 (Aygo, C-HR, Corolla, Prius, Rav4) and the same would apply to these as regards servicing.

We only have pack of 0w 8 and 0w 16 at present, as said, we are not selling vast quantities of it at present, but as soon as we do, it will be bought in bulk tanks

• Like 2