Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Gen 7 engine seized - what now :|

Dalton5994

Hi folks, apologies for the non-descript title, but here's the story so far:

I bought 2002 1.8VVTi. The previous owner warned me the engine needed looking at. Taking a risk(!) I drove it home, but on the way there was lots of popping and squealing until a massive THUD, and the car freewheeled to the side of the road. AA came and told me the engine could need a rebuild and towed me home.

It's done 124,000, I've seen ads on eBay for companies who can fit a reconditioned engine for £850. I'm a novice mechanic, but - I ask this tentatively:

a) are there any tasks I can do to help investigate what on earth needs looking at

b) what are the chances of this being a straightforward fix

c) how do I know the engine/fit solution on eBay is legit?

Help?

20 hours ago, Dalton5994 said:

The previous owner warned me the engine needed looking at. 

..and yet you still bought it.?..I assume it was for "pennies".?

Probably yet another infamous Celica death rattle event..for which the only cure is a used face-lift engine.

eBay engine fit solution.?...I wouldn't..why trust someone you've never heard of.?..that's just another risk you can do without surely.?..use a garage you know/trust..or you could simply scrap the car of course.

3 hours ago, RUToyota said:

..and yet you still bought it.?..I assume it was for "pennies".?

Probably yet another infamous Celica death rattle event..for which the only cure is a used face-lift engine.

eBay engine fit solution.?...I wouldn't..why trust someone you've never heard of.?..that's just another risk you can do without surely.?..use a garage you know/trust..or you could simply scrap the car of course.

£400 - rest of the car looks and feels fine 😕

OK...then you have choices to make.

Good luck with whatever you decide...they are a great car. I had my 140 for over 2 years..a facelift 2003 and had no trouble at all with it...loved driving it.

• Like 1

Sorry to read this, Peter, but as Neil has said, don't go down the "reconditioned" route, much better to try and source a lowish mileage face-lift VVTi engine.

Even then, it's important to keep a very close eye on the dipstick, as the issue (shortage of oil cooling in the piston ring area leading to burnt deposits on the rings, and ultimately high oil consumption), although much improved on the face-lift, isn't totally bulletproof.

Good luck in your search for an engine if you decide not to scrap the car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links