Do Not Sell My Personal Information

speedometer stopped working

CrofterJr

Hi

im sure you've had this posted lots of time but the speedometer on my 2001 rav4 has just stopped working (rev and temp gauges work fine). im pretty sure the instrument cluster is fine (not 100% though) 

ive had a quick look online and it mentions the VSS in the engine - but i have no idea where it is (the VSS, not the engine 🙂 )

Help?

Steven

Have a look at:

off to have a look now - thank you 🙂 

the connector in question was wet - ive dried it all off and used some Wd40 contact cleaner (not the oil stuff) (see pics)

the speedo went up to 20mph for a second when starting engine but nothing afterwards - or again when switching on and off

seems like its def not the speedo itself which is good 🙂 

IMG_8548.JPEG

IMG_8549.JPEG

I had a 2002 RAV 4.2  Petrol Auto some years ago, with a dodgy Battery. Rather than replace with the standard size, I fitted the size intended for the diesel version. This gave around 15% increase in capacity though fitting it in the back of the engine compartment was a real finger trapper. (I have big hands & fingers.)  This gave fantastic service over many years with never a blip.  From Yorkshire this RAV went all over the UK and Ireland, All the Scandinavian Countries several times including above the Arctic Circle in January, and into several other European Countries.

The "running in" process referred to in an earlier post should be followed carefully and slowly, gradually building up performance to ensure the ECU is well bedded in before any serious performance motoring. This will stand you in good stead if performed correctly and patiently. Good luck !

• 3 weeks later...

ive fully cleaned the connector (it was wet and i dried it out with an can of air and got a toothbrush on it to clean all the blue stuff out the female connector)  and test it once again and i cannot get the speedometer to work

apart from this one issue - the car runs smoothly

what can i try next?

Thanks in advance

I think the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is in the gearbox.  I expect it is screwed into the casing, and has a cable running into the loom.

how do i find this? i dont know where it is in the engine.....

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly thank you for all the help given so far but the saga continues.....

would the attached images be the VSS? if so ....

1. how do i test its working or not?

2. does anyone have a part number for it? i cant find anything except "Toyota" written on it

thank you in advance

IMG_9166 (Copy).JPEG

IMG_9167 (Copy).JPEG

IMG_9165 (Copy).JPEG

One easy way to test if it's a sensor or the instrument cluster is to reset the average speed reading on the computer and see what value that gives when you drive. From what I can tell they both seem to go direct to the engine management system and are relatively independent of one another. If the average speed is fine then you know the issue is likely to be with the instrument cluster/connection to it.

On that point, on the basis you saw it work momentarily when drying the plugs I'd focus effort there. Perhaps you need to look at the connections that were damp and see if there's any corrosion. Maybe a little rub with a small file/wet and dry will just take any surface oxidation off that could be causing an issue.

2 hours ago, CrofterJr said:

Firstly thank you for all the help given so far but the saga continues.....

would the attached images be the VSS? if so ....

1. how do i test its working or not?

2. does anyone have a part number for it? i cant find anything except "Toyota" written on it

thank you in advance

IMG_9166 (Copy).JPEG

IMG_9167 (Copy).JPEG

IMG_9165 (Copy).JPEG

I think it looks like the one shown for the 1ZZFE engine in the parts catalog

just a final update - IT WORKS AGAIN! hurrah!

turns out mine was the connector that has a large bolt on it (in the same area as the picture) - took it out and noticed that there was like a blue gunk on the bottom of the connector. cleaned it all up using WD40 contact cleaner and working!!

thank you for all your help and suggestions - saved me £££ going to the garage 🙂