Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Rav4 towbar too low

MikeMPG

I have a twin axle trailer which always has the rear axle wheels just off the ground, the tow ball is only 40cm from the ground and i have been informed that this should be around 46cm, there appears to be lifting kits on eBay etc, but has anyone installed these or able to offer other solution (YouTube in the US show stronger rear spring & spacer for the front)?

Depending on what towbar you have fitted,the RAV can be a bit low. I had the same problem on my previous 2006 model. I fitted Grayston spring assisters and they did make a difference. I dont know which type of towbar you have on the car but mine had the Swan neck type meaning that the towball was seperate from the towbar frame. The swan neck bolted on via 2 19mm bolts. I elongated the holes in the towbar bracket so that i was able to tilt the swan neck upwards ever so slightly. It made a significant difference and by only elongating the towbar holes by about 1mm, this raised the towball height enough to make it worthwhile. I'm ot advocating weakening the towbar but if theres enough "meat" on the bracket, it may be possible.

Jonosar, thank you for the advice. My tow bar was fitted when I bought the car, it is tight up against the number plate and cannot move up any further, the tow ball is a standard bolt onto a flat plate version, which is why I have been looking at YouTube video's from the USA where they fit same size but stronger rear springs so the car sags less and raises the car by around two inches (50mm), that would be perfect but I am keen to know if anyone in the UK has fitted something like this and if they had any handling or other issues afterwards. 

Yes, i understand what your talking about. There are plates available that allow you to bolt the ball a bit higher but tbh, i dont think they are legal. 

Have you looked at an ALKO extended towball? I know from experience that they are both longer and taller than a standard towball. They are made to allow the use of an ALKO stabiliser hitch usually standard on most caravans. The ball can be bought in most Car parts stores. https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/caravans/articles/practical-advice/towbar-advice-ready-to-tow