Do Not Sell My Personal Information

sticky valve

arthur2k3

would a sticky hydraulic valve lifter cause loss of power

Edited by arthur2k3
wrong problem

[Excuse me Jumping in for Arthur here!]

If you look back back to Arthur's last post in his previous topic, you'll see his car has had a breakdown, diagnosed by the AA as being head related, and a garage has subsequently said they have found a nut in the turbo....

With the fault that you described in your earlier post :

I don't think that a defective hydraulic lifter would do anything this, but I am not familiar with any problems this engine can suffer from.

I notice in your description that your mechanic found a nut in the turbo. This is likely to have done some serious damage to the turbo, and maybe much more of the engine besides.

Did the mechanic give any clue as to where he thought this nut had come from?  Depending on what damage the nut has caused, then this could be an expensive fix.  Did you get a written report of what he found?  And what is the status of the car now?

Hi Gerg ,thankyou for the reply. further update. i have had a mechanic to have a look and listen to the rav. he said that it has a sticky hydraulic lifter. to get some forte engine flush, run it for two hours change oil new filter, put forte top engine treatment in. Done all above i now have lots of white smoke coming from the exhaust its like a fog, i am now at a loss.

i forgot he also said it doesn't look like he has done anything to the rav as there wasn't any sign of nuts or bolts been moved, also how could he see in the turbo if he didn't look to see what the problem was.

It's either the turbo or it's a head issue, pull the pipe work from the turbo or intercooler and see if its full of oil, a blown turbo will dump oil into the exhaust and wreck the cat if the turbo let go at high rpm the engine could have ingested shrapnel

unless the car is clean without much rot it may not be worth fixing

thanks flash22. yes it is nice and clean. as stated it was fine until today when i did the forte flush, it made it quieter, but then i reved it slightly and had a fog. i am now going to check what you said + clean maf. and work from there. will let you know how it goes. many thanks.

Have you carried out a compresion test on each cylinder? this should determine a valve not fully closing following lifter failure as you describe.

Just a thought

update. i have checked the turbo and the vane is loose, side and up and down. oil in all pipes, exhaust. so i decided to renew turbo. i have never had such a difficult job. after 2 days struggling. i have every thing undone except oil pipe at the back. cannot see how to disconnect. Can any one help please. going mad.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found that the nut that holds the inlet side of the turbo vanes is missing. broke the vanes. Don't know where it has gone, checked all pipes, cleaning intercooler. Can't think where it would go or if has broken up. PLEASE any ideas would be great.