Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P2196 Code: O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

webjaved

Hello,

I've had the engine light on 2 days ago, I thought it was the engine oil as it was low so topped it up. 

Now the light has come back on again with this error code (now my car reader machine is working)

Where do I begin with this and is it an easy fix that's not going to cost me £££s?

Thanks

Javed

IMG_20210118_155644__01.jpg

Here is a video of the diagnostic test. You may have to be signed into YouTube in order to view it. Not sure why YouTube have age-restricted it. 😂

How do I find out where bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2 are located?

On the Auris there is only a 'Bank 1', so that's straightforward - it's the exhaust connected to all four of the cylinders.

'Sensor 1' is the oxygen sensor closest to the engine, generally this one is used to dynamically adjust the fuel/air mixture in normal operation.

'Sensor 2' is the next oxygen sensor down, on the other side of the catalyst.  It is basically used to verify the catalyst is working*, which is shown to the ECU by its waveform being 90 degrees out of phase with the oscillating waveform coming out of sensor 1.

That's as I understand it, anyway.  I've never had this error message, so never had to look into this in any greater depth.

*Chrysler state that they use this 'sensor 2' for mixture control as well.  Make of that what you will.

Looks like 02 sensor, they just unscrew, so it's an easy replacement, and have 1 plug.

Try checking your reader, if it has 02 sensor test, to confirm it's bad. If not, you can test it manually using multimeter, and checking for resistance.

It looks to me like it needs to be replaced. Thank you for the comments. Any recommendation on which sensor I should buy, obviously a cheap one is not what I want as I want it to last for a while. 

I'm going to pop the hood up tomorrow and check the sensor, dad has an idea as to where it is as he's replaced the sensor on my brothers Toyota Yaris. 

I have bad experience with 02 sensor, cheap one either die very soon, or don't even work from the start, so i would opt out for a genuine one.

You can try contacting member Parts King for a quote, he works for a Toyota dealer.

12 minutes ago, furtula said:

I have bad experience with 02 sensor, cheap one either die very soon, or don't even work from the start, so i would opt out for a genuine one.

You can try contacting member Parts King for a quote, he works for a Toyota dealer.

@Parts-Kingplease can you provide me a quote? PM if you want.

I hope I have tagged the correct member!

14 hours ago, webjaved said:

Any recommendation on which sensor I should buy

The genuine Toyota part will most likely be made by Denso.  Toyota has a major shareholding in Denso, so this is not a surprise if it is.

• Like 1

Denso or Bosch, be aware some times s1b1 sensors are called air/fuel sensors

ps. always look obd codes up under brand eg. Toyota as these codes can have very different meanings

3 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Denso or Bosch, be aware some times s1b1 sensors are called air/fuel sensors

ps. always look obd codes up under brand eg. Toyota as these codes can have very different meanings

Where can I find a list of the codes for Toyota then? A quick Google search and checking some sites do not list this code.

What engine do you have ?

Edit. P2196

Output voltage of heated oxygen sensor remains at 0.4 V or more during idling with warm engine (2 trip detection logic)

1. Open or short in heated oxygen sensor (sensor 1) circuit
  2. Heated oxygen sensor (sensor 1)
  3. No. 1 integration relay (EFI MAIN relay)
  4. Intake system
  5. Fuel pressure
  6. Fuel injector assembly
  7. ECM

11 minutes ago, flash22 said:

What engine do you have ?

Edit. P2196

Output voltage of heated oxygen sensor remains at 0.4 V or more during idling with warm engine (2 trip detection logic)

1. Open or short in heated oxygen sensor (sensor 1) circuit
  2. Heated oxygen sensor (sensor 1)
  3. No. 1 integration relay (EFI MAIN relay)
  4. Intake system
  5. Fuel pressure
  6. Fuel injector assembly
  7. ECM

Auris TR Stop Start VVTI - Petrol.

There is a change over in early 2009

b1s1 is the A/F sensor it should be DOX-0510, The one you linked to is b1s2 (known as the diagnostic sensor) DOX-0237

• Like 1

If you want to be sure, go to japan-parts.eu, enter your car's VIN, and there you can find the part, and the part number, to search online.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, flash22 said:

There is a change over in early 2009

b1s1 is the A/F sensor it should be DOX-0510, The one you linked to is b1s2 (known as the diagnostic sensor) DOX-0237

I've just rang the company that is selling it after I have purchased it and he has said what you have ordered is Bank 1 Sensor 1 so that should do for you. If that doesn't sort my problem out I can return it.

21 minutes ago, furtula said:

If you want to be sure, go to japan-parts.eu, enter your car's VIN, and there you can find the part, and the part number, to search online.

Thank you, I will check that out shortly.

3 hours ago, webjaved said:

@Parts-Kingplease can you provide me a quote? PM if you want.

I hope I have tagged the correct member!

Please PM me with the registration number, thanks 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, furtula said:

I've done that, which category do I need to select then? I've sent you a PM.

8 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Please PM me with the registration number, thanks 

PM sent.

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The sensor you have ordered looks like the wrong one

A/F sensor should be 89467-52090 what crosses to a DOX-0510

https://www.denso-am.eu/e-catalogue/

If it is, then I will just have to return it back and then get the correct one.

So this is what I need then.

1fcf0af904c316fd6d2d473bdecb6671.png

If you would like to compare the part number from Parts-king with the one i posted then yes

@webjaved

i don't really know how your engine looks like, but i guess this should be the part, you can confirm the location

http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/auris-hybrid-ukp/nre150r-dhfnkw/2_166510_056_441W/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer#89467B

image.thumb.png.5072fa02d1685b4fc1e4f2c7daa2bfd3.png

14 minutes ago, furtula said:

@webjaved

i don't really know how your engine looks like, but i guess this should be the part, you can confirm the location

http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/auris-hybrid-ukp/nre150r-dhfnkw/2_166510_056_441W/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer#89467B

image.thumb.png.5072fa02d1685b4fc1e4f2c7daa2bfd3.png

I've not had the chance to take a pic of the engine because it's been raining non-stop, I'll take one tomorrow and upload it here. 

Thanks for the pic.

Not saying to take a picture of anything, just saying i don't know how your engine looks like, but that should be the sensor.

And from what flash22 said earlier, that seems to be it, and the correct number.

1 minute ago, furtula said:

Not saying to take a picture of anything, just saying i don't know how your engine looks like, but that should be the sensor.

And from what flash22 said earlier, that seems to be it, and the correct number.

I'll post one anyway 🙂

Thanks, I appreciate the comment, I've saved that on my phone and will take a brief look tomorrow. I'll let you all know how I get on.