Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV IV - MPG around town?

mikmikmikmik

I live in a hilly area and do short journeys.

Is it right that my hybrid 2.5l RAV IV only does between 25 and 30 mpg?

And only does about 45mpg on a long run?

Thanks.

The official consumption figures for your car are 50-55 mpg, so, realistically you might expect 40-45 mpg - around 80% of the official figure. If you can do better than that you should be pleased; if you can only get 40-45 mpg you shouldn't be too disappointed. So, your longer run figure look OK ...

Honest John's Real MPG quotes returns of 30-50 mpg so your 25-30 mpg average - if that's what it is - doesn't look great. So, you probably need to consider how you are measuring fuel consumption - it would need to be via whole tank, brim-to-brim averages before you could have any real confidence in the results.

• Like 1

ok, thanks.

At this time of the year about right.

April - September 50% more MPG.

Last year I averaged 44.mpg, this years tank has averaged 36 mpg, but I've gone nowhere and just short trips, cold weather and heater and heated seats on, it improves if I travel further with the engine warmed up properly. During the last lockdown when it was warmer the same journeys gave me 42mpg.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mikmikmikmik said:

I live in a hilly area and do short journeys.

Is it right that my hybrid 2.5l RAV IV only does between 25 and 30 mpg?

And only does about 45mpg on a long run?

Thanks.

Sounds right to me, in current season short town trips the hybrid will be running on petrol most of the time and efficiency will be reduced. Tyres pressure important to monitor too. 

One thing I've found on the Gen 5 RAV4 is that the mpg on the car's display seems to average about 2% optimistic compared to tank-to-tank calculations, which is way better than all my previous Toyotas which have averaged about 5%.

In my first summer (2019) with lots of short trips and a couple of longer ones a month, it averaged 52 mpg (my calculation) with a best of 58.6 on a 36 mile round trip, followed by 58.4 on a 250 mile trip (both these from the car's display).

My current overall tank-to-tank average is 47.14 mpg, not helped by little use and very short journeys during the winter lockdowns.  Several local 2-3 miles trips have seen car-reported figures of mid 20s.  But normal winter's use for me in normal conditions have been mid 40s.  My last 4 fill-ups from October to December have still worked out at 46½, 49½, 38.2 & 41½ mpg.

It's fair to say I drive legally and moderately, often cruising at 60 mpg on the speedo on longer trips and with ECO mode selected almost all the time (and ECO Climate setting too).  Occasionally, when in a hurry and I've driven a bit harder and up to the speed limit, it's made very little difference to the mpg.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links