Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark plug replacement

2015 Auris, due its 6th service in March. According to the service book, it says spark plug replacement at 60,000 miles.

This says 54,000 miles. https://www.toyota-tech.eu/MS/PDFS/67ad3b19c71643719143f68802b7310a.pdf

I don't see that either specify a timeframe as an alternative (i.e. whichever is sooner).

Question is, my car has only done 39,000 miles, should I need to change the plugs or not? On inspection last year, (approx 2000 miles ago), they looked in good condition.

The pdf you linked shows the European service schedules (ie service intervals 1 year/15,000km/9,000 miles), which are different to the UK service schedules (1 year or 10,000 miles). Also note 9 on the pdf states 'it is possible to replace every 100,000km (60,000 miles)'.

Usually in the UK spark plugs are due for replacement at 6 years/60,000 miles, whichever occurs first - similar to coolant which for the first coolant change is 10 years/100,000 miles.

Your choice though.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply.

I get what you are saying, and may just replace them for the sake of £30.

However, where are you getting the 6 years from? As I see no mention of a timeframe.

My UK spec service booklet doesn't mention it 🤔

image.png

60k miles reasonable time for change, even though these can last well over 80k or more then 100k miles. I did mine first time at 80k as I was thinking they are ok for more miles but then double checked the book and realised I am late by 20k miles, the plugs were in good shape, however I will not skip changing them again. Every 60k miles, no need before that for sure. 

• Thanks 1

On my old 2004 mazda, i had them changed at 100k, and they were fine, it was the recommended interval, also Iridium tipped, i don't remember which brand.

• Thanks 1

I replaced mine at 60k (9 years old) and was pleasantly surprised at the excellent visual condition when they were removed. Also amazed how easily they came out.

One thing I would say is to get the correct and up to date recommended plugs from Toyota rather than rely on a supposed equivalent. For my Auris Toyota had changed the heat range of the plugs and this was not reflected in other brands on offer at the time. Even worse, some were a heat range the other way from the original fitment and so now two 'heat ranges' in error from the latest official recommend.   

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, garethpaul said:

However, where are you getting the 6 years from? As I see no mention of a timeframe.

Manufacturers quote time/mileage in order to be more specific for low and high milers, for instance, servicing is every 1 year/10K miles WHICH EVER IS THE SOONER, Air filter every 4 years/40K etc. Plugs would normally be 6 years/60K  WHICH EVER IS THE SOONER

• Thanks 1