Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice needed

TonyOB

Hi folks.  I'm looking at buying a 2016 Yaris 1.33 manual transmission, not a hybrid.  I'm getting mixed messages fro reviews about noise levels.  I'd love to hear from owners how refined the car is, particularly on the motorway. Many thanks.

1 hour ago, TonyOB said:

Hi folks.  I'm looking at buying a 2016 Yaris 1.33 manual transmission, not a hybrid.  I'm getting mixed messages fro reviews about noise levels.  I'd love to hear from owners how refined the car is, particularly on the motorway. Many thanks.

Hi Tony.I always ignore reviews except from the owners of the vehicle I want.

My Yaris is on good tyres with a 55 profile and standard suspension. It is a small car that can be noisy on poor surfaces. On smooth surfaces and on Motorways it is fine.

Take one out on an extended test drive when you can.

• Like 1

The same as John re m'ways. My Yaris has the original make of tyres, fitted like for like, Dunlop something, and at 70mph there is very little noise from either the road surface or engine (1.33l petrol).

On less than good road surfaces there is some road noise and the engine can be  bit raucous if revved hard!

No wind noise at all, any speeds. I find the ride very comfortable as well as the seats. Never suffered from any aches and pains on a long journey either.

As John also hints at, the nay sayers have most likely never owned a Yaris or driven one for any great length!

Quite probably not to their taste because it doesn't 0 - 60 in 5 seconds, very reliable and mundane (in their opinion).

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately a test drive isn't an option due to restrictions.  My previous car was a Hyundai i10 so it's hard to imagine the Yaris being any worse in terms of refinement.  As you say car reviews can't really be relied upon.  On the small hatchback class they just compare every car to a Fiesta.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyOB said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately a test drive isn't an option due to restrictions.  My previous car was a Hyundai i10 so it's hard to imagine the Yaris being any worse in terms of refinement.  As you say car reviews can't really be relied upon.  On the small hatchback class they just compare every car to a Fiesta.

I will be surprised if you are not delighted with the Yaris. We have has two and not a problem with either-both automatics, Autos have been excellent,but don`t get one with MMT(not a real auto)They were not available from 2011.

Do let us all know what you decide Tony. 

Hi, I agree about the reviews online especially those from journalists, they are simply clones that even many of them don’t know anything about cars, any cars. For the Yaris I can’t comment as I never had one or been using one, however I had Polo, Corsa, and Fiesta for a while and  I can say these three really drives well, especially the Polo and Seat Ibiza, I guess Yaris won’t be way behind but polo specifically gives you that big car felling in a small car, very well sound proofed and suspension set is perfect. I think Yaris will be a good choice too, it’s also very roomy inside while polo it’s not. In case of any road noise issue a good set of quality tyres can help a lot.  👍

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, I agree about the reviews online especially those from journalists, they are simply clones that even many of them don’t know anything about cars, any cars. For the Yaris I can’t comment as I never had one or been using one, however I had Polo, Corsa, and Fiesta for a while and  I can say these three really drives well, especially the Polo and Seat Ibiza, I guess Yaris won’t be way behind but polo specifically gives you that big car felling in a small car, very well sound proofed and suspension set is perfect. I think Yaris will be a good choice too, it’s also very roomy inside while polo it’s not. In case of any road noise issue a good set of quality tyres can help a lot.  👍

And of course it is Reliable !

• Thanks 1

Journalists always say that the fiesta is more fun, blah blah. . .

The Whatcar reliability survey for this generation of Yaris placed it right at the top, and under the heading of ‘what went wrong’ the answer was: NOTHING. 

As for road noise, I don’t think it’s excessive, and certainly better than the Aygo. Tyre choice is a major factor - I’m quite happy with the GoodYears on ours. 

if you do a lot of motorway driving, I’d recommend retrofitting cruise control - you can buy a stalk on eBay for under £20, it’s an easy DIY retrofit too. Did this to our 2015 1.33 and it’s made motorway journeys much easier. 

• Like 2

I think the rear seat space on the Yaris is excellent - there’s more headroom than in my 2020 Corolla. And the flat floor offers more foot space too. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to let people know how my car Search panned out.  I did get to take a test drive in a Yaris at a small car sales centre near meand it was pretty good.  However the dealer also had s Hyundai i20 in stock and having had a good experience with the i10 I took that for a spin too.  For me it was the clear winner.  Very smooth and refined.  Hyundai reliability might not be quite up there with Toyota buts it's not far behind.  Many thanks for the advice and happy motoring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links