Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stiffening Up Rear Suspension Ideas

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All,

I feel that my 2008 Aygo has been sitting a bit low-er recently! I dont really like a soft rear end! Worse when I have 2 occupants seated in the rear. I've already put in 2 rear shock absorbers not so long ago, actually may have been a year by now, do you think 2 new rear springs may help?

Basically I'd like her to sit higher up, and stiff so I can go over bumps and my exhaust won't touch the humps as it does now! 

Any ideas?

Have you gone off the thought of changing your car?  If change is still on your mind would it be better not spending unnecessary money on the 12 year old AYGO.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Have you gone off the thought of changing your car?  If change is still on your mind would it be better not spending unnecessary money on the 12 year old AYGO.

True say, I respect your opinion, I'm confused, even if I upgrade, I think ill be keeping my aygo on the drive to one side, maybe keep her as my emergency back up in life. She's to cute to let go.

But yes any recommendations on brand of springs would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Unless a spring has broken or weakened over the years, fitting stronger springs will mean a harder (read "more uncomfortable ride") especially going over humps or dropping into potholes. Are you ready for a harder ride?

Its the same with tyre/wheel size.  Generally speaking most cars look better with larger wheels, but they generally low profile whihc give a more solid (bumpier) ride. Standard size on my Gen3 Prius excel is 17", but my experiance of 17" wheels is too bumpier ride. So, when I bought my used Prius Excel I hunted around for the optional 15" wheel model, in the colour I wanted, which wasnt easy. The higher side wallls on the 15" flex more then the lower side walls on a 17", I wanted comfort over looks.

Hi Sam,

Ah, we all reach the saggy bottom age   !  :laugh:

Replaced the shocks on my old rolla last year with KYB ones which gave a marked improvement in road holding and a little firmer ride, though they did not affect ride height.

Most of the springs showed a little rust, but did not replace them as that would likely make the ride even firmer.

Think replacing your 12 year old springs will give a better ride and keep the ride height up more, seems they are around the £20-30 mark, but an easy fit as yours are mounted separate from the shocks.

There are some rubber spring supports units around , similar to the old fashioned ones used when towing caravans, might be worth a try . but no idea how safe they are as they could affect the handling dramatically !! ??   think I would just use new springs .

000368.jpg

Hi

Any recommendations on BRAND when it comes to rear springs guys?

Local motor factors carry kyb or suplex!

they will be same as the ones you take off 

a fully loaded car will sit a bit lower , if you raise it and make the rear stiff/hard then it will ride terrible when not loaded , skip over bumps etc