Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aftermarket Apple CarPlay stereo

Gregg5886

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has installed an aftermarket Apple CarPlay double din stereo into their Aygo MK2 (2017)
I have the non CarPlay version.

Is this a simple install as I’m looking at the Sony AX1000 if it fits.

To be honest, for the money you would spend on that sony unit, plus changing all the fascia, connectors etc and hoping your steering wheel controls still work,  best to look for the 3 button genuine Aygo Carplay/Android Auto stereo.

Sort of hard to come by, but when one pops up, grab it straight away.

Its a simple swap and plug and play and takes about 30 minutes.

Just look for Breakers on eBay and the upgrade unit is normally in 2019 Aygo's onwards.  As long as its got the 3 buttons on the front, it will have carplay and android auto. 

Point to note, is that there are two models, one has DAB and one doesn't.

I know this because I have done this in my daughter's 2014 Aygo.

I don't rate Sony in car stuff they rely a lot on their brand name, stick with Alpine or Pioneer £50-70 for fitting parts

The problem with the MK2 carplay units is they don't come up that often when they do they are usually pricey

My MK2 headunit cost the same as the price of that Sony unit.  They are out there, if you are persistent.

In regards to Sony, I've had a £100 one in my other car for about 10 years and it's never gone wrong.

From a technical point they are built cheaply on very old designs, sound quality can be poor tuned towards the mid/bass frequencies

All show and no go

Gregg5886, if you PM me, I'll give you the phone number of the guy I bought mine from, he breaks Aygos all the time.

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

I have a similar situation: My Augo is 2019 but the head unit is a double button so no CarPlay/Android Auto.

I checked most of the treads at this forum and seems that many people try to find this genuine 3 button head unit and use it.

However, I was wondering if it makes sense to go for one of these fancy Android head units? The original 3 button unit seems a bit old already and the price is high (500 euro is normal for this unit). However, the problem with Android head units is that most of reliable brands make units only for Aygo Mk1, while for Mk2 I was able to find not very trustworthy example on Aliexpress.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Kombinator said:

Hello all,

I have a similar situation: My Augo is 2019 but the head unit is a double button so no CarPlay/Android Auto.

I checked most of the treads at this forum and seems that many people try to find this genuine 3 button head unit and use it.

However, I was wondering if it makes sense to go for one of these fancy Android head units? The original 3 button unit seems a bit old already and the price is high (500 euro is normal for this unit). However, the problem with Android head units is that most of reliable brands make units only for Aygo Mk1, while for Mk2 I was able to find not very trustworthy example on Aliexpress.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

You really have three choices..

1. Buy an original Toyota 3 button one..expensive, but they just do the job without all the bells and whistles.  The one I upgraded in my daughter's MK2 even had navigation built in to it.  I can never get my head round why there are units with AA and CP and the good old navigation with maps as well !! Luckily I bought one of these in the early stages before the sellers realised that they can get up to £500 for them.  The one I got cost about £250, you'd never get one for that price now.

2. Buy a well known unit, such as Kenwood, Alpine etc...but also expensive, can even be more expensive than option 1 above, but there are 2nd hand ones on eBay, so you may find a bargain.

3.  Buy a Chinese unit like the one I have posted on this thread.  But buy from a relatively well known brand, such as Seicane.  It's really plug and play and you can even hard wire it in also.  This way you keep your cars original unit and doesn't mess with your car.  However, as already mentioned, they do have some issues, which most people can live with, this has also been mentioned in this thread.  It depends on what you use it for the most.  If it's just for AA and CP, that Seicane unit should fit your needs and it's not a big outlay, should you hate it and change your mind.

Good luck .

1 minute ago, 152bobby said:

You really have three choices..

1. Buy an original Toyota 3 button one..expensive, but they just do the job without all the bells and whistles.  The one I upgraded in my daughter's MK2 even had navigation built in to it.  I can never get my head round why there are units with AA and CP and the good old navigation with maps as well !! Luckily I bought one of these in the early stages before the sellers realised that they can get up to £500 for them.  The one I got cost about £250, you'd never get one for that price now.

2. Buy a well known unit, such as Kenwood, Alpine etc...but also expensive, can even be more expensive than option 1 above, but there are 2nd hand ones on eBay, so you may find a bargain.

3.  Buy a Chinese unit like the one I have posted on this thread.  But buy from a relatively well known brand, such as Seicane.  It's really plug and play and you can even hard wire it in also.  This way you keep your cars original unit and doesn't mess with your car.  However, as already mentioned, they do have some issues, which most people can live with, this has also been mentioned in this thread.  It depends on what you use it for the most.  If it's just for AA and CP, that Seicane unit should fit your needs and it's not a big outlay, should you hate it and change your mind.

Good luck .

Thanks for the answer

6 hours ago, 152bobby said:

• 2 weeks later...

Is such a shame there isn’t a third party solution so we can easily add CarPlay to Aygo’s with the 2 button head unit. Some kind of Android double din with a newer processor so it’s not as sluggish.

Pretty obvious the MK2 head units an are still fetching good money out there.

Noticed a Toyota 3 button head unit on eBay recently that said it doesn’t come with a code? If I come across another, is this an issue? If so how do you get around that?

The one I bought did not have a code !!

• Like 1

The peeps I remember doing this swap it been plug n play, no code. As ever with the bugs the manufacturers relied on the stock units being a bit cr*p and an odd shape as enough of a security deterrent!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links