Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Icon Tech TS Owner (21 Model)

Timh21

Hi all,

Ive done an Intro in new members section but thought Id say hi here too as its here Ill probably tend to stay around.

Collected my new Icon Tech 1.8 TS yesterday from Motorline Cardiff, shout out to Peter the Fleet guy, a fellow biker too, who made the hand over as painless as possible in this weird time. Bit of a culture shock with all the Tech but Im pleasantly surprised so far, some said I would find the 1.8 a bit flat compared to my previous Astra CDi but actually it aint bad at all and from the lights I dont think there is much in it, overtaking at higher speeds does seem to require a bit more thought but I dont find it slow, but then compared to my KTM 1290 an M4 BMW is slow. 

I can confirm my 21 Model came with LED Fog lights which when I ordered the Dealer wasnt sure if it would come with or not, so a bonus.

Im an IT Engineer who for my sins is involved, albeit in a small way compared to the Nurses/Doctors etc,  with the Covid Response,  so Im still out on the road a fair bit so its nice to have what appears to be a really relaxing place to sit and feel safe. 

Cheers all and stay safe

Tim

PS: Included a pic taken 20 miles after pick up yesterday as I think its mandatoryy4mx8vR_HwZ41wduAnvQPXHv2IpU6ewnkwMzTs9s

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum

does your car have a rear camera or is it just sensors thats fitted

3 hours ago, 1.8 hybrid said:

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum

does your car have a rear camera or is it just sensors thats fitted

Camera as well

Nice car.  Glad you enjoy the 1.8,. Same dilemma I'm going through as I've got an auris 1.2 TS and eying up another as thinking the normal hatch might be too much of a step down in size.

25 minutes ago, catnash said:

Nice car.  Glad you enjoy the 1.8,. Same dilemma I'm going through as I've got an auris 1.2 TS and eying up another as thinking the normal hatch might be too much of a step down in size.

Yeah, I was a bit worried I might find the 1.8 a bit lacking but actually its fine and I do a fair amount of motorway/dual carriageway. Mind you I think Ive already adapted to driving a bit slower but smoother at the same time, the car seems to encourage it and I find it more enjoyable and Im sure Its not actually costing me anything in real time. Its almost like a game trying to stay in EV, 😂

15 minutes ago, Timh21 said:

Yeah, I was a bit worried I might find the 1.8 a bit lacking but actually its fine and I do a fair amount of motorway/dual carriageway. Mind you I think Ive already adapted to driving a bit slower but smoother at the same time, the car seems to encourage it and I find it more enjoyable and Im sure Its not actually costing me anything in real time. Its almost like a game trying to stay in EV, 😂

That's the beauty of the hybrid system.  Had a hybrid hatch for a short while.  Very relaxing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, 1600 miles now and overall MPG worked out properly is at 54 for the 1600 miles.  Funnily enough thats about the same as I was getting overall with the Astra TD, the Astra was better on long motorway but the Corolla wins around town etc so its evening up. Now that Ive started to adapt to Hybrid driving and with the warmer weather on the way I should hopefully see it improve even more

• Like 1

Yes, the Hybrid system is comparable to diesels of similar engine size, which is where Toyota are aiming their market. Especially now diesels are considered the dirty option. I read a lot of diesel owners saying they will keep them as Hybrid is only comparable and not loads better in terms of cost, but it is the particulate issue that is the problem with diesels. As Chris says, you will get much better MPG in warmer weather, plus you will find the driving style to suit you and get you good economy, and the car will become more efficient as the ICE loosens up.

2 hours ago, Timmon said:

Yes, the Hybrid system is comparable to diesels of similar engine size, which is where Toyota are aiming their market. Especially now diesels are considered the dirty option. I read a lot of diesel owners saying they will keep them as Hybrid is only comparable and not loads better in terms of cost, but it is the particulate issue that is the problem with diesels. As Chris says, you will get much better MPG in warmer weather, plus you will find the driving style to suit you and get you good economy, and the car will become more efficient as the ICE loosens up.

Yeah, neither the company or me were expecting massive savings on fuel alone, its more from an ecological perspective. I reckon the London based engineers will see a better saving though, and stop press, company has just offered me a new position based in Wiltshire more on site than Ive been used to. Im even looking at relocating nearer to the DC so 200 mile plus days may become a thing of the past

So, my new TS has gone back to Garage to try and sort the MM issue, garage wants to keep car for 2 -3 days.  Interestingly I was supplied another TS as a hire car, but its a basic Icon with different gauges and its done 27,000 miles, but that seems a good thing as if the readout is to be belived its far more frugal than mine:

This was after 50 miles, mainly motorway cruising 65-70 most of the way:

y4mZYNNYIsbN0oCw4FQ0RvkcYLuYFseLGs5JE4_c

Much milder the last few days, so the batteries give more power.

I went on a 50 mile each way drive to near Buxton a few weeks back and I was averaging 57mpg at 1 degree. It loved the A515 as 50mph and the villages.

Usual average 53mpg. I'm not trying to drive economically at the moment.

James👍

18 minutes ago, Rolando1 said:

@Timh21 What was the issue you were having with the MM. Is it a common problem?

Dunno if its common, basically I didnt have handsfree, I could hear the person the other end but they couldnt hear me

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links