Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DAB Sound quality in Aygo

musicontheradio

Hello, I have just updated the software in the car successfully to 0850 thinking it might fix audio quality issues with DAB but it doesn't. Some DAB stations sound absolutely fine, but it seems that those with DAB+ sound really tinny. It was the same with all the other versions too. I know a lot broadcast in lower bitrates, but the quality is still so much better with the same stations in other cars and in the house. My other half also has an Aygo and it sounds bad in that too. 

Is there a fix for this at all please? I am posting this from the UK. 

Is this the factory radio or an upgrade, do you have 2, 4 or 6 Speakers ? check the roof aerial is tight

try using one of the bigger stations like Absolute, what stations sound tinny ?

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

Is this the factory radio or an upgrade, do you have 2, 4 or 6 speakers ? check the roof aerial is tight

try using one of the bigger stations like Absolute, what stations sound tinny ?

Factory radio and factory Speakers - think there are 4 in the Aygo 2016? But they sound great with my own music and selected stations. 

Heart Dance, Capital Dance, Smooth UK, Heart 70s/80s/90s and others sound really tinny. Heart Yorkshire sounds fine, LBC sounds fine, Absolute sounds fine, so does Magic and many others too. Signal is pretty much perfect on all the stations too. 

The issue seems to be with those broadcasting on DAB+, where the audio sounds really tinny and low bitrate. 

Have you had the car from new or did you buy it used ? I take it you have refreshed the dab station for your location (Dab Screen - click options) - If it's tuned for a set area and that mux is weak in your area, it will drop the bitrate it may even drop to a mono bitrate

Did you do both parts of the 850 update ? What is your Operating system version

16 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Have you had the car from new or did you buy it used ? I take it you have refreshed the dab station for your location (Dab Screen - click options) - If it's tuned for a set area and that mux is weak in your area, it will drop the bitrate it may even drop to a mono bitrate

Was bought used from a dealer, and I have refreshed/retuned the dab stations. The quality of those stations in particular sounds exactly the same regardless of signal, very tinny and low bitrate. My other half has a 2014 Aygo, with the same problem on certain stations. Very poor quality on the same stations, yet others sound great. 

Looked up the details for Nottinghamshire all those stations are on the same MUX (11D) transmitted from Mapperley Ridge + Waltham

https://www.radiodns.uk/transmitters/sk583424

there also seems to be a transmitter relay here.....

https://www.radiodns.uk/transmitters/sk503435

47 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Looked up the details for Nottinghamshire all those stations are on the same MUX (11D) transmitted from Mapperley Ridge + Waltham

https://www.radiodns.uk/transmitters/sk583424

there also seems to be a transmitter relay here.....

https://www.radiodns.uk/transmitters/sk503435

Thank you for the info. Interesting to see. It’s a weird one because Kiss and Kisstory do seem to be fine but a lot of others aren’t, yet sound good in the house. I have a feeling it’s having an issue with it reading DAB+ as it broadcasts in a lower bit rate on DAB+ but is meant to be still okay in quality. Those on standard DAB seem okay by the looks.

• 1 month later...

I have 2014 Aygo with DAB, 99 % of stations are good but the odd one is very tinny. My Auris tunes to the tinny station and sounds fine.

hire/lease Aygos I have had have been the same.

No issue noticed for us - but we do live less than 5 miles from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

It depends on the station some are very low bit rate circa 48kb/s and/or highly compressed

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It depends on the station some are very low bit rate circa 48kb/s and/or highly compressed

True, but when I try and get the same station indoors on my DAB radio it sounds much better . DAB+ is designed to be broadcast in lower bitrate but still sound higher quality than what it gives out. So it must be reading / playing it in a low quality. 

4 hours ago, musicontheradio said:

True, but when I try and get the same station indoors on my DAB radio it sounds much better . DAB+ is designed to be broadcast in lower bitrate but still sound higher quality than what it gives out. So it must be reading / playing it in a low quality. 

It all depends on the decoder software in the radio, it sounds like the DAB+ decoder software in the Aygo doesn't do a very good job - maybe they were limited by either available processor MIPS or memory space?

Just now, PetrolDave said:

It all depends on the decoder software in the radio, it sounds like the DAB+ decoder software in the Aygo doesn't do a very good job - maybe they were limited by either available processor MIPS or memory space?

That makes sense with the one priority over the other so yes it might have been that. Thanks