Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First new tyres on 69 reg

Chriss27

Factory fitted Front tyres getting close to legal limit and only done 15k miles but would have expected around 20k ? Or is that about correct ? Any recommendations too for new ones that aren’t too expensive ? 

Edited by Chriss27
More information

Only 15 k miles seems very low miles , are they getting closer to the marks on the tyres itself, if yes this is half way of their life.3mm perhaps. If this is the case you have two sensible options, one is to rotate them to the back and when all 4 are gone to change the whole lot in one go, or just buy the same tyres make and model for the front. Cheap tyres are always bad tyres. Good to go for mid range at least. 
Regards 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Factory fitted Front tyres getting close to legal limit and only done 15k miles but would have expected around 20k ? Or is that about correct ? Any recommendations too for new ones that aren’t too expensive ? 

What is the Make, Size and Profile of the ones on the front?

Legal limit is 1.6mm, so what is your reading ?

How about the wear on the rear ?

Thanks tony if you use the tyre wear marker in groove I would say it’s currently on about 3mm or maybe just under 

1 minute ago, john p williams said:

What is the Make, Size and Profile of the ones on the front?

Legal limit is 1.6mm, so what is your reading ?

How about the wear on the rear ?

Falkken 225/45/17 back ones are fine

32 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Should be a higher mileage than that, were the tyres kept at correct pressure all the time being regularly checked, were they subjected to excessive hard driving and hard braking. But there’s so many variables in connection with tyre mileage, from climate, to type of driving, to type of rubber compound, to tyre pressure etc. Make sure that the tyres you buy are the correct size recommended by the manufacturer and a mid range price should be ok, again depending on the type of journeys you will be doing. Any deviation from from original in either wheels or tyres your insurance company will need to be informed. The bottom line re tyres is safety.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Falkken 225/45/17 back ones are fine

Thanks Chriss.

A45 profile will give a firm ride and will not wear well.

I would recommend a 50 or a 55 profile either of which will give a more supple ride and longer life--assuming you are not a Racing Driver. Falkkens are a decent mid range tyre.

Well if it’s me I will swap front with rear and use them until next winter then will buy all 4 new and something that is better than oem Falkens, perhaps all season or like Michelin Cross climate or Just a good efficient tyres like Goodyear efficient grip performance 2. I think Falkens are not that good if you been only able to get 15k before down to 3mm. I had 20k miles from GY and only down 1mm but I do mostly motorways relaxed driving. 3FB29571-6441-44F4-B15E-98A984B912BF.thumb.jpeg.4baffb73e4b896ff05b17344b38e806d.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, john p williams said:

Thanks Chriss.

A45 profile will give a firm ride and will not wear well.

I would recommend a 50 or a 55 profile either of which will give a more supple ride and longer life--assuming you are not a Racing Driver. Falkkens are a decent mid range tyre.

225/45 R17 actually it’s not that low, it’s perfect IMO for this car, he can’t change just the wall height, he will need to change the wheels too if he changes the size of the tyres, 205/55 R16 will be the one for Corolla. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Hi yes I do check tyre pressures but not as regularly as I should. 

I'm not sure that rotating front to back is a good idea. The advice I've seen and been given when buying tyres is to put the best tyres on the rear of the car. I believe the reason is two fold:

• The fronts have more downforce on them under breaking so to an extent that will compensate for an uneven surface and help drive water out.
  • You can't steer the rear tyres so have fewer options to control a skid.

For what it's worth my fronts are almost down to 3mm after 13k miles. I don't brake hard (quite the opposite) nor do I accelerate hard. However I do take corners fairly quickly.

If I hadn't been working from home I'd have replaced them before winter set in. As it is I'm not sure what I'll do going into summer.

Hi, the advice for better rear tyres applies more for rear wheel drive cars IMO , for front wheel drive or awd cars better tyres should always be the front ones. , as these are the one who has more important function to brake, to steer and to drive the car and to prevent aqua planing. . The only downside of low tread on the tyres is risk of aqua planing which can be compensated with lower speeds and more carful driving. Lost of control due to the  Aqua planing usually happens when the car is under load(acceleration) going uphill for example and the car hit a deep waters, the driving wheels loose contact with ground and spin excessively which creates forces that make the car skid, deeper tread on the tyres helps against that mostly and better grip in some situations if tyres are m+s rated. 
It seems to me these Falkens are not great and that’s why I recommended to the op to rotate and wear them off then change all 4, as having 4 same tyres is also important. That’s just my opinion only. 😊🚗

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, the advice for better rear tyres applies more for rear wheel drive cars IMO , for front wheel drive or awd cars better tyres should always be the front ones. , as these are the one who has more important function to brake, to steer and to drive the car and to prevent aqua planing. . The only downside of low tread on the tyres is risk of aqua planing which can be compensated with lower speeds and more carful driving. Lost of control due to the  Aqua planing usually happens when the car is under load(acceleration) going uphill for example and the car hit a deep waters, the driving wheels loose contact with ground and spin excessively which creates forces that make the car skid, deeper tread on the tyres helps against that mostly and better grip in some situations if tyres are m+s rated. 
It seems to me these Falkens are not great and that’s why I recommended to the op to rotate and wear them off then change all 4, as having 4 same tyres is also important. That’s just my opinion only. 😊🚗

Sorry Tony, absolutely disagree. Front wheel drive cars should never have more grip at the front than the rear as it results in oversteer under braking.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RabButler said:

Sorry Tony, absolutely disagree. Front wheel drive cars should never have more grip at the front than the rear as it results in oversteer under braking.

Respect that 👍 , I only share my thoughts as what I have learned from my practice as a driver. I also been reading about what Andrue had mentioned about the better tyres on the back however I personally will stick with the old theory for the better tyres on the front., where better tyres means only the same tyres just more worn out, let say 6mm front against 3mm rear. 

• Like 1

I was always told/educated that the better tyres should always be over the Drive wheels.

If FWD, then on the front and if RWD should be on the rear.

• Like 1

The tyre industry changed it's stance on replacing tyres in the late-90's. Until then, the advice was to put new tyres on the driven wheels. However, the advice changed to having new tyres put on the rear. Eg:

https://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/

https://www.continental-tyres.com.au/car/technology/tyre-knowledge/tirelexicon-3-0/tirelexikon-3-7

Another good one here about the tyres, since that car has same 17” size tyres as Corolla and same class car might be helpful. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

Ended up fitting General Tyres Altimax One S

Good, you can drive around for a while and review back here how the new ones compare to the previous Falkens. Corolla owners will be interested. 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links