Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is my toyota yaris a write off?

Windowsmashed

https://imgur.com/a/fi3tWJf

Was in a very, very low speed collasion when another car skidded and hit the side. Their car was competly undamaged but somehow the door of my car was completly destroyed and no longer fits in the frame. Is the car fixable or is the frame bent enough to cause it to fail a MOT?

Moved to the Yaris club.

Difficult to tell from the photos. Given the age of the car, the visible damage from the photo (door and sill), and the probable cost of repair by the insurer (ie cost of repairs exceeding 50% or so of the car's value), it may be written off.

The insurer will ultimately decide whether to write it off and whether it is a repairable write off - category S (needing professional repairs) or N (cosmetic repairs). If it is written off as a category S or N, you may be able to buy it back and arrange repairs yourself. However, you need to carefully weigh up likely costs, etc. 

• Thanks 1

On an 2008 50-60% of the book price will write it off (trade book price is £1400-1650)

door, wing and sill + paint £1400-1700 that is if it hasn't bent the door hinges and the pillars are ok

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Moved to the Yaris club.

Difficult to tell from the photos. Given the age of the car, the visible damage from the photo (door and sill), and the probable cost of repair by the insurer (ie cost of repairs exceeding 50% or so of the car's value), it may be written off.

The insurer will ultimately decide whether to write it off and whether it is a repairable write off - category S (needing professional repairs) or N (cosmetic repairs). If it is written off as a category S or N, you may be able to buy it back and arrange repairs yourself. However, you need to carefully weigh up likely costs, etc. 

Thank you for your reply 🙂

Do you know how such a low speed crash result in so much damage to my car? The other car wasn't even scratched. 

In a word no, other than your car was hit from the side, so it would not have moved meaning the loads would be transferred from the other car directly into yours

Think of it as you punching a brick wall, your hand going to take all the impact

the other car will have damage it just may not be visible

If the corner of any car hit the side of any other car the second one will have the most of the damage.

Sides of car doors are quite soft. Some manufacturers fit side impact bars inside the doors to improve a side impact. Not sure if Toyota do?

As it was the front of the car that hit you it's quite likely it had hidden damage.

My Dad parked in a residential street years ago with no restrictions and lots of spaces available for residents to park at around mid-day. He returned to his 1980 Volvo 244 to find a resident had boxed him in totally with large van behind and car in-front with nasty note informing him to F off and not to park outside his house!

Knocked on his door and my Dad asked him to politely move his car. Got told not going to, go F yourself! Dad said last time move your car! Got told same so said OK! Jumped into his Volvo, started it up and put it into reverse, and shunted the van back, did same to car in front and gave owner the V sign as owner running after his car as he drove off! 

The bumpers could stand an impact of 5mph! Myself I would of phoned the police!

James.

Here are a few more pictures including the other car! 

https://imgur.com/a/pv2LIpZ

I am still utterly stunned by the amount of damage to my car. They hit me so slowly that I barely felt a bump.

Larger, heavier car. Looks to me that at the least the VW's front bumper has been damaged - slightly off at the wheelarch.

The third party's insurance may offer to repair directly.

• Thanks 1