Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door unlocking issue (Gen 2)

mpm235

My Gen 2 Prius had a glitch today. When I went to open it this morning, it took 4 or 5 clicks on the remote button to open the doors. Thought it might be Battery in the remote, so tried the spare remote, but it was the same, so not the remote's Battery. Once inside, Prius started fine, (the "READY" indicator flashed once). After a long run on motorway, the doors opened on first click of remote button, as usual. I'm now thinking that my 12 volt Battery is on the way out? Could this be it? Or something else? Thanks for any advice / replies, Mark.

Very likely 12v Battery issue. Just keep in ready mode at least twice a week for 30-40min each time if not able to drive the car during lockdown. 

• Like 1

It's an ice-cold Monday morning, i bet you didn't want to get up and go out either lol

2008 on its original Battery ? 7-10 years maybe 12 years at a push, is about right for an AGM Battery

• Like 1

I`d say ice in the locking mechanism.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, john p williams said:

I`d say ice in the locking mechanism.

The Sun had actually been on it for a while, all the frost had already melted off, which makes me think 12 volt 

42 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It's an ice-cold Monday morning, i bet you didn't want to get up and go out either lol

2008 on its original battery ? 7-10 years maybe 12 years at a push, is about right for an AGM battery

12 volt Battery is not actually very old, had Toyota fit a new one when I got the car in March '16 --- (I've seen online that Prius 12 volt batteries can  sometimes give up the ghost quite early)

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Very likely 12v battery issue. Just keep in ready mode at least twice a week for 30-40min each time if not able to drive the car during lockdown. 

Thanks very much for the quick reply Tony. I've actually been driving the car (working) all through lockdown, but she has done a few short trips the last two weeks, whilst I've been on leave).

I'm now booked in at Burrows Toyota Doncaster, 08:30 in the morning, they are putting a new 12 volt in whilst I wait. Sorted!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mpm235 said:

The Sun had actually been on it for a while, all the frost had already melted off, which makes me think 12 volt 

You might be right Mark. Ice remains cold for a long time in places not in direct sunlight.

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Very likely 12v battery issue. Just keep in ready mode at least twice a week for 30-40min each time if not able to drive the car during lockdown. 

Hello again Tony, thanks again.  I've done a check on the 12 volt, it is 11.8 going down to 11.2, so I definitely want a new one. Found this checking method on Youtube, this is how I checked it:             

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Had this with my mark 2. Turned out to be the 12v Battery

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PaulDM said:

Had this with my mark 2. Turned out to be the 12v battery. 

Yes, I found that's what it was with mine, cheers, Mark

• Thanks 1