Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 2.0 liter Diesel Rav4

kokkios

Ok guys and gals. I am gutted. Please explain to me how this is possible.

The car was bought May 2017 so approximately 3.5 years old and out of warranty. In my country warranty is 3 years unlike 5 years in the UK. Car only has 34000 miles. 

Took it in the dealers today for a scheduled oil change. When i got the car back i get the news that there is a problem with some timing chain parts, namely the Crankshaft pulley, Tensioner assembly and Vibration damper. Cost of repair a total of 725 euros. Something about cracks found on a part which can potentially cause the timing chain to fail.

I talked to the service manager and he said it isn't my fault. You can understand my frustration and disappointment. Why were those cracks not spotted during the last full service 6 months ago when the car was just 9 days out of warranty? Were there any outstanding related recalls that should have been fulfilled? I really don't want to pay 725 euros for a fairly new car that is only 6 months out of warranty. 

Thank you for your attention! 

Why not contact your Toyota importer (not the dealer) to ask about a goodwill contribution.

Yes done exactly that. It just annoys me that an issue like this was not spotted within warranty but is found only when it has expired. I dont believe it developed overnight (six months in car days is nothing for an issue caused not by a hit)

I wanted to check my assumption that this was the BMW derived diesel - the 2WW derived from the N47 - and I found your original thread ... 

I can understand that your present experience must be very vexing!

I'm a little surprised that that the dealer would inspect "some timing chain parts, namely the Crankshaft pulley, Tensioner assembly and Vibration damper" as part of a routine oil change - I might have expected them to simply change the oil. Is that inspection on the service schedule? Anyway, it's just as well that they did ...

I don't recall seeing issues with the 2WW engine reported on here.

As for warranty, Toyota cars in the UK are covered by the same 3 year manufacturer warranty as yours, supplemented by an additional 2 year extended warranty from Toyota UK. Toyota owners can then continue to extend the warranty up to around 14 years and over 100,000 miles. While it's too late now for this issue it may be worth considering what options are available to you if you intend to keep the car for a longer while.

Good luck with your discussions with the importer. Do let us know how it pans out ...

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

I'm a little surprised that that the dealer would inspect "some timing chain parts, namely the Crankshaft pulley, Tensioner assembly and Vibration damper" as part of a routine oil change - I might have expected them to simply change the oil. Is that inspection on the service schedule? Anyway, it's just as well that they did ...

Thank you for your reply Philip. That is actually a very good point you are making Philip. i checked now the service paper they gave me with all the visual key points checked on the car during this interim service which is usually just an oil change.  No point was about the timing chain assembly. Why would the mechanic look there unless they suspected an issue. Is that a known issue of this model?

What scared me even more is that the service manager asked me if i was interested in trading the car in for a new Rav4. Something doesn't stick i don't know. Still waiting for their answer. They should answer back by tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

After 10 days of no answer and an unanswered email of mine i phoned the dealer. Talked to the service director and they said they can give me a 20% discount and are trying to get the approval of the parts manager for a 25% discount. Attached you can find the repair quotation they sent me. Needless to say i am not happy at all.

What are my options here?  

SERQUT176695mod.pdf

The invoice includes the 20% reduction on your original €725 cost. A 25% reduction would bring it down to around €544.

There have been a couple of members on the Verso club who have posted re timing chain issues on the 2WW engine - although one had not adhered to the correct service schedules.

22 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The invoice includes the 20% reduction on your original €725 cost. A 25% reduction would bring it down to around €544.

There have been a couple of members on the Verso club who have posted re timing chain issues on the 2WW engine - although one had not adhered to the correct service schedules.

I believe because i made it very clear that i wasn't happy,basically lost my temper, they revengefully discounted 20% instead  25%. 

Is there an email where i can contact Toyota centrally (not the importer) with a complaint?  

Whether you contact Toyota Japan or Toyota Europe, the issue may well be passed back to the importer to address.

This is the faulty part. All those cracks the dealer claims were produced after the May service. My opinion is they didnt even bother to check while the warranty was valid. Unfortunately it is very difficult to reason with dealers

20210204_164613 (2).jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello, 

This is my first post:)

I have a problem with the engine in Toyota RAV 4 2016 2.0 diesel, engine code: 2WW. I need to replace the engine and I found information about BMW engines.

Do you know which BMW car models have engines that would fit my car? What should I pay attention to?

What do the last letters in the engine code mean, e.g. N47D20A or N47D20C?

Thanks for any help