Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery issues Aygo semi automatic 2015

vogons

Hi, Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, I've seen similar topics but no solution that's worked for us.  We have a 'new' second hand Aygo 2015.  The Battery died really quickly after purchase, we had a new one installed, the alternator was checked and deemed to be working properly.  The new Battery is now also failing to start the car on a regular basis, and we sometimes lose power when driving (dangerous!).  We were told we weren't running the car enough/often enough.  We take it out about 3 -4 times a week, on journeys between 4 and 15 miles, we also 'run it' in place for 15 minutes to an hour at a stand still (on AA mechanic's advice) to maintain the Battery.  I don't think the battery should be failing so quickly, the weather at the time was going down to about 3 degrees C sometimes.  I've never known another car to not start on a new battery - which has been tested and is now said to be in need of replacing - after only a few days of not using. Surely it must be the car? Any ideas... suggestions, even if it is a battery health problem can anyone advise of a battery compatible with the Aygo that is reliable in coldish weather, and low mileage driving?

Thank you for reading.

When did you actually buy the car, and was it from a dealer (not necessarily Toyota) or a private sale? If recently, have the short runs been with lights, etc on? Have there been any lights (eg interior light) left on or is the multimedia unit listened to whilst stationery with the engine off?

Who has said the new Battery is on the way out? Hasn't the new Battery got a warranty?

Are there any third party accessories fitted (eg dash cam) that could be draining the Battery?

You could consider getting a battery maintainer - either mains if you have easy access to power or solar if you don't.

36 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

When did you actually buy the car, and was it from a dealer (not necessarily Toyota) or a private sale? If recently, have the short runs been with lights, etc on? Have there been any lights (eg interior light) left on or is the multimedia unit listened to whilst stationery with the engine off?

Who has said the new battery is on the way out? Hasn't the new battery got a warranty?

Are there any third party accessories fitted (eg dash cam) that could be draining the battery?

You could consider getting a battery maintainer - either mains if you have easy access to power or solar if you don't.

Thank you for responding!  We've only had the car since late September from a dealer in Nuneaton.  Most of the runs have been in the day with lights off, we've been very careful to make sure everything is off when the car is locked, and we haven't used any multimedia while the car is stationary, as we're either driving, or it's left with the engine running on it's own for a while, with everything else off, just for the Battery (as the AA mechanic told us to do). We don't have a dash cam etc.  The AA breakdown assistance guy that we had to have last time the power went said the Battery wasn't holding the charge well, and also asked as you did about a warranty.  Technically it does have one, but as we couldn't get the car to the garage to have the Battery replaced I think we were unlucky with the mobile mechanic we used. When we contacted him, he came out, jump started us and told us off for not taking the car out often enough, said the battery was fine.  Yes! we were thinking of trying a battery maintainer, it's a bit awkward as we don't have an outside electricity point, sadly our old garage is pretty derelict and not used, so I wouldn't trust any sockets in there! Do you know if there are any trickle chargers that are cordless and have a rechargeable battery pack, like the cordless jump start one that we've ordered.  We have tried googling that and haven't come up with anything, I only ask because you seem to know what you're talking about 🙂 so just on the off chance you might know of something. Again, thanks for responding. Sorry for being so long winded.

An example of a solar charger is in the following topic - look at Parts-King's posts from last Wednesday, Thursday and today: 

If interested send Parts-King a private message detailing your car (include registration number) and ask about it. 

Probably be some on Amazon as well. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

An example of a solar charger is in the following topic - look at Parts-King's posts from last Wednesday, Thursday and today: 

If interested send Parts-King a private message detailing your car (include registration number) and ask about it. 

Probably be some on Amazon as well. 

Thank you! Will definitely check it out 🙂

I wonder if the Battery is overcharging causing the Battery to use its acid/distilled water and shortening the life of the Battery. I had a Vauxhall cavalier once and that alternator was charging at 14.9 volts which meant I had to keep topping the battery up.

I should have thought that using the car 3 to 4 times a week at that mileage would be more than enough to keep the battery topped up with volts. If you still get a problem I would take the vehicle to a battery shop and ask them to connect a clamp meter (measures amps)which will check for anything that is draining the battery.

What about insurance black box, any chance u have one installed? 
It seems to me there is something that drains the Battery when the car is not in use. , since been checked for alternator charging voltage and reported ok second Battery should have no problems with that driving pattern.  

On 1/25/2021 at 3:21 PM, vogons said:

The new battery is now also failing to start the car on a regular basis, and we sometimes lose power when driving (dangerous!). 

When you say 'lose power' do you mean electrical power? or are you referring to  some other engine issue. If the former then that pretty much rules the Battery out as a problem... something else is going on.

Also your weekly mileage although sounding low at face value should be more than sufficient to keep a Battery charged. I can speak from experience on that as our old Corolla in 2017, 18 and most of 2019 often covered as a little as a couple of miles a week in winter and had an annual mileage in the 600's. The Battery never sounded anything less than happy even when starting outside in winter after standing for 10 to 14 days.   

Hi Julie 

When you get to the stage of running the engine just to maintain the Battery things have gone to far.   I agree, 3 to 4 journeys of 4 - 15 miles is more than enough to keep you Battery charged, there should be no need to idle the car in addition.  

The only real options are, the Battery isn’t holding charge, the charging circuit  isn’t working as efficiently as required or there is something draining the battery between use.   Given the battery and alternator output has been checked, it leaves to more difficult to diagnose mystery batter drain between use.  

I assume you don’t have access to a volt meter. So it might be worth purchasing a voltmeter that plugs into the 12v socket, which seem cheep enough from places like Amazon.  I don't expect them to be very accurate, but it would be simple enough to plug one into the 12v socket to check the voltage and see whats going on.   Take a reading before you start a journey, and at the end. Keep a log of how long the journey was the voltage at the start and end, also monitor the length of time between journeys.  Don’t leave the volt meter in the 12v socket because that can also drain the battery.   I am hoping this will show where the problem lies. 

Don’t use trickle chargers, only use a battery conditioner.  Trickle chargers damage batteries over time, conditioners are much more intelligent and maintain the battery at optimal performance.  I recommend a Ctek, they are one of the best in the business and rebrand by almost all high end car manufacturers from Ferrari down.  During lockdown I have very little need for a car, so my cars are struggling to do more that 50 miles a month, and connection to my Ctek once in two to three months for a few hours is all thats needed.    

For what it’s worth my other toy car doesn’t get started at all between November - April, and the battery doesn’t need charging during that time because its isolated (disconnected) via a switch.    

Due to being admitted to hospital my 2020 semi-auto Aygo didn't get driven for over a month, the MyT app was happily telling me that the Battery condition was "Good" - I was finally able to drive it yesterday, when it started first time with no issues.

Says to me that vogons has something that is discharging the Battery, which needs to be investigated. Any third party add-ons (black box, tracker, dash cam, etc.)?