Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snapped Serpentine Belt

Nogin

Hi Guys

A friend of mine has a Rav4 2004 2.0 ltr Petrol. The serpentine belt has snapped, am I right in thinking that it can be replaced along with the idler and water pump. Will it have caused any further engine damage ? Is this engine the one they say is non-interference ?

As the belt has broken, now is a good time to spine the other pulley’s to see if any have seized up causing the snapped belt. The belt could have just broken through age but that is unlikely.

The engine is chain driven not belt driven .
 The serpentine belt goes around , water pump, power steering pump,alternator and idler...they all need to be checked that they spin freely.

Engine should be ok as said above chain driven just be aware you need a special tool to take the tension off to be able to get new belt on, not much room to get onto the tensioner between body work (inner wing )and my god it’s sprung loaded. 

Using a breaker bar and a short socket the tensioner can be slackened but as said...it has a very very strong spring and took all my efforts when I replace my Rav4 belt 😳😳 .

CE29C85D-04F8-4DCA-AE3D-D5C4CCA779E4.jpeg