Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aftermarket Bulbs - Auris

Kojac

D7510212-D0CE-45C5-9A14-46C0EBF2505B.thumb.png.03127e35a887e73eb7ede7133990fce5.png

2010 - 1.8 vvt Hybrid

Looking for recommendations for aftermarket replacement dipped-beam halogen bulbs

I would like an upgrade from the stock oem halford type bulbs - as I'm looking for brighter/better-performing ones.

BUT - they must last.

I hear many things about the top end ones (200% brighter etc) but then the reviews suggest they only last half as long.

Seeking recommendations from fellow members! Hoping to open up a discussion about said topic.

As far as I'm aware, the current +200% bulbs are HIDs.

The trade off for brighter halogen bulbs is shorter life - the brighter the bulb, the shorter the life. For example Philips Racing Vision +150% bulbs have an anticipated life of 200 hours.

If you want to compromise, go for mid range brightness which will give longer life - +100% brighter rather than +150%. Eg Osram Nightbreaker Silver +100%.

Hi, 

there are no halogen bulbs that particularly can be the brightest and to last long, actually the brightest has shorter life, I can recommend to you Philips Eco Vision long life, these are definitely the longest lasting halogen bulbs available that actually provide a nice lighting ahead , just a bit better than oem, don’t expect led performance 😉, I use them and only change once or max twice a year, I drive a lot and 90% through the night. Now for performance, Osram Night Breaker these are good for bright light ahead however does not last long, just a bit less than oem, but depends how you drive your car and when, day , night.  These two are my favourite. 👍

• Like 3

To be honest - I don't do much night driving.

200hrs only - the cost per hour is way too dear is it not?

What kind of bulbs do you have? Is it halogen H4, HIR or what?

Dipped beam in a first generation Auris uses H11 bulbs.

I have good experience of Philips ecovision in the H4 format in my Aygo and would suggest Philips H11 ecovision here since it has good output and lasts very long. Ours has been going strong for 4 years now in spite of it being used in a DRL form (always on with the car day or night) as required in this country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kojac said:

Who produces the oem ones that toyota fit themselves?

Philips Eco Vision I believe is the oem of our cars, and I keep using them,  best life performance ratio IMO. 

You won't believe this. Went into Halfords & in the clearance section I happened to find a halogen bulb. 

Had to take out my 'malfunctioning' bulb to compare - they weren't compatible.

Refitted my 'malfunctioning' bulb - to plug the hole.

Hey presto - its working again.

Lesson - sometimes a bit of a jiggle & a bit of a juggle - and then alls well in the world.

On 2021-01-27 at 7:18 PM, TonyHSD said:

Philips Eco Vision I believe is the oem of our cars, and I keep using them,  best life performance ratio IMO. 

Most of the original bulbs in our cars are Philips long life marked as Philips LL. I do not know if they are actually ecovision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rajivrattna said:

Most of the original bulbs in our cars are Philips long life marked as Philips LL. I do not know if they are actually ecovision.

Yes they are actually Eco Vision it’s just a trade mark name or whatever but the article numbers much the one of the oem bulbs.  I stick with those, long life plus the light colour is nice enough to me. 

• Like 1

Is it true that over time these halogen ones get dimmer?

Are we talking a few % or are we talking significant loss if performance?

27 minutes ago, Kojac said:

Is it true that over time these halogen ones get dimmer?

Are we talking a few % or are we talking significant loss if performance?

They do a bit when are on its end of life and once you notice they get dimmer they will burn out and you will need to replace the bulb . 

• Like 1

All halogen bulbs - whether standard or upgrade - get dimmer with age.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased these PIAA bulbs (sign up for 25% off price via email) and they are excellent. I have 2013, with the upgraded headlights under warranty and they make a big difference so much so fitted a pair in the Aygo as well

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/piaa-hyper-arros-hir2-9012

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Suggest you try Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited - excellent bulbs - last about 2 years and available on E Bay for about £20 to £25 a pair in H7 and H4..  Also Osram Nightbreaker Lazer but I feel they are not quite as good.  Bulbs have some Zenon in them which gives more light.  Probably worth changing each year if you do a lot of night driving.

Used on other cars and always found them good - just don't touch Halfords own bulbs - expensive rubbish  for the price.

Geoff.

I have Osram Nightbreaker (H4), fitted in 2016. About £10/pair on some Amazon limited deal offer. I was a little concerned about the shorter life trade off. They are a definite improvement on the "factory" Osrams. I do a fair bit of driving in the dark and would suspect that, to cover their backsides, Osram have maybe been a bit conservative (small c!) in the life expectancy estimate? I did retain the originals for when the inevitable does happen.

Has anyone fitted H16 LED bulbs in the foglight position on an Auris (2017) and, if so, which ones did you use?

The Halogen bulbs look so dull and yellow and in the past, with other cars, I have changed them but as the ones fitted to the Auris are only 19watts I do wonder which LED type can be fitted?

I have changed all the interior (roof, boot etc) lights to led bulbs - so much better and brighter.

Geoff.

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2021 at 7:08 PM, Packard said:

I purchased these PIAA bulbs (sign up for 25% off price via email) and they are excellent. I have 2013, with the upgraded headlights under warranty and they make a big difference so much so fitted a pair in the Aygo as well

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/piaa-hyper-arros-hir2-9012

Upgraded headlights under warranty?

Please tell me more.

I'm wondering if theres An issue I've not yet heard about?

3 minutes ago, Kojac said:

Upgraded headlights under warranty?

Please tell me more

Some early models of the second generation Auris (Dec 2012 - 2015) had the headlights replaced under warranty subject to owner complaints. 

Different headlights to the first generation Auris, which, according to your profile (2010 Auris), you have, so doesn't apply to your car.

• Like 1

Just a thought, does flashing the headlights (for whatever reason) shorten their life?

5 hours ago, BigRedSwitch said:

Just a thought, does flashing the headlights (for whatever reason) shorten their life?

Hopefully you only flash your headlights to warn others of your presence, just like your horn!:msn-wink:

I suspect yes, like many other electrical/electronic components, they don't like on and off operation.

If you are flashing the 'high' beam with the headlamps off, then a  mechanical shutter operates as well as the bulb turning on.  This electromagnet-driven shutter can easily be heard outside of the car as a dull 'clunk' sound when the headlamps are flashed or put on high beam.  This is a quirk of the HIR2 bulb 'system' - but there is only a single bulb filament in this arrangement.

So whilst I'd agree with the above I'd add, if your headlamps are already on, then no, the bulb life isn't affected when you flash the headlamps, because that single filament is already on.

Maybe I'm drifting into the realms of pedantry here!  :-)

Having said that, the wear characteristics of the HIR2 bulb, when flashed from cold, will presumably be broadly similar to any normal halogen bulb, and not like HID lamps, which are noted for not wearing well when used in that fleeting manner.

• 2 weeks later...

With my last car (2010 Ford Focus) I had H7 halogen bulbs for the dipped beam bulbs. I’ve tried all sorts of bulb brands over the 7 years I’ve owned  that car. My Focus had auto headlights, and it was quite surprising how often they were actually on.

Bulb brands I have tried include Bosch Pure Light, Philips Long Life, GE, Lucas, Osram Silverstars. I’ve tried some “extended life” bulbs, some “long life” bulbs, some “robust” tougher types with reinforced filaments, and even some of Lidl’s (I think they were Auto XS brand or something) H7 bulbs, which I actually rated rather good for saying they were £5 a pair. The others ranged from £2.99 each to £25 a pair. I’ve tried lots.

What I’ve found is that the ones claiming to give extra brightness or ones filled with a xenon gas (versus halogen filled bulbs) burn whiter but don’t last as long. This is even more true of the blue tinted ones that give an “ice white” colour on the road versus the yellowish tinge halogens give off. The most expensive Philips Long Life ones were actually the ones that lasted the shortest amount of time!! 😳The ice white ones didn’t last long either. Thing is, all this is marketing spiel. If you want more light, put a higher wattage bulb in right? That’s what you’d do at home isn’t it.

For me, the most important thing I looked for from a headlight bulb was a decent sharp beam pattern on the road, an even spread of light, and a pronounced beam cut off. This I tended to get with premium bulbs such as Bosch, which is what I had fitted to it when I part exchanged it for my 2016 Auris Excel hybrid hatchback. Now, the Auris has full LED headlights, and all I will say is WOW! I’ve never experienced a car with such good headlights. Toyota did a fantastic job with these LED headlights. Hats off to the designers. The beam pattern is staggeringly good, and mega bright. The headlight have got automatic levelling too. The LED main beam flash is as rapid as a camera flash. Very show off ish! I love them! 🙂👍🏻

• Like 1