Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Switching headlights on


Recommended Posts

I've been flashed a couple of times because my headlights weren't on. The thing is, in my previous car there were no dashboard lights until I turned the lights on. With the Auris, the dash lights are always on and I'm not prompted to turn the headlights on. 

Anyone else? Probably just me, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the recent cars are made quite same way, dashboard always has a backlight on., maybe you need to get use to it., never been a problem for me, even opposite, I like it more as sometimes when driving through forest places or short tunnels and if you have drl no need to turn the lights on but you are still able to see you dashboard. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I would find the normal dash brightness so bright (at night) that I would realise from that alone that the lights were not on. Conversely by having the dash illumination not on max brightness (when lights are on) is a good warning that you have indeed got the lights on when perhaps you don't need them.

If that makes any sense... 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 7:38 PM, TonyHSD said:

Most of the recent cars are made quite same way, dashboard always has a backlight on., maybe you need to get use to it., never been a problem for me, even opposite, I like it more as sometimes when driving through forest places or short tunnels and if you have drl no need to turn the lights on but you are still able to see you dashboard. 👍

I agree Tony, I do prefer it on all the time.

9 hours ago, Mooly said:

I think I would find the normal dash brightness so bright (at night) that I would realise from that alone that the lights were not on. Conversely by having the dash illumination not on max brightness (when lights are on) is a good warning that you have indeed got the lights on when perhaps you don't need them.

If that makes any sense... 

Yep, it makes perfect sense, Mooly. Actually, I used to have the dash illumination at one less than maximum which is enough of a noticeable difference. Then a while after I put it back to maximum as I like the brighter light. But I've just gone to my car and taken it back down a notch as that will help me remember if my lights need to switch on or as you said, if they're on when they don't need to be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit I had the same issue the other early morning. Then it hit me.  If the green light is on, so are your dipped beams, if the blue light is on, your main beams are on, they're the indications you (and I)😉 should go by.

Alternatively, if you have Auto headlights, switch that on and the lights take care of themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the exact same car, same engine, same year, also built in UK, executive trim, auto headlights. 

And my dash is not always illuminated.  You would need to flip the switch to either parking lights, headlights, the AUTO option only works when dark, with the lights.

So not sure if yours is just an UK thing, or maybe someone had it enabled in the shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 2:01 PM, furtula said:

I got the exact same car, same engine, same year, also built in UK, executive trim, auto headlights. 

And my dash is not always illuminated.  You would need to flip the switch to either parking lights, headlights, the AUTO option only works when dark, with the lights.

So not sure if yours is just an UK thing, or maybe someone had it enabled in the shop.

That's possible as I discovered that the previous owner had after market reverse sensors fitted into the rear bumper, so maybe he had the dash lights enabled too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership