Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.2 TS? V 1.8

catnash

Has anybody tried any of the 1.2 engined Corolla TS?  I've ruled out a hatch as too small for a family of four at the moment.  Currently have have a Auris 1.2 TS which I've been very happy with.  Looking on the used Toyota's website there's direct cars from Toyota and a few from dealers.   There's 1 in Jardine Toyota in 1.8 for similar prices.  I work in recover and helping out in ICU meaning don't have much spare time to visit dealers even with the lockdown in place.

Was thinking of another chr in 1.2 as we've just bought a chr excel for my wife.

Hi,

one is auto hybrid the other is manual is it? If both are auto the best auto transmission is the Toyota hybrid and is better than 1.2 cvt by all means. If the car you looking at is manual, and you are after a manual gearbox then there is no other option and you have to decide manual vs auto. 👍 Either of those will be a good choice IMO. 

Yes manual for the 1.2 same gearbox in my Auris.  Only have a&b roads here and dual carriageways. 

1 hour ago, catnash said:

Yes manual for the 1.2 same gearbox in my Auris.  Only have a&b roads here and dual carriageways. 

In rural areas manual will serve you well, in dense populated cities are no go, for you both hybrid or manual are suitable,  just down to your personal preferences. 

2 hours ago, catnash said:

Personally, Id struggle going back to a manual having now sampled the CVT, just so smooth and stress free.  Im down your way tomorrow on route to Haverfordwest

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Timh21 said:

Personally, Id struggle going back to a manual having now sampled the CVT, just so smooth and stress free.  Im down your way tomorrow on route to Haverfordwest

I'm near Whitland.  So you know the roads.👌

46 minutes ago, Timh21 said:

Once you have accepted the hybrid drive train there is no going backwards to manual unless you are after a car specifically with manual gearbox.., pick up, sport cars etc.  Hybrids btw cvt is called eCVT and it’s completely different than any other cvt gearboxes including Toyota own cvt boxes fitted to non hybrid cars, that’s why I noted in the comparison between two automatics (1.2cvt if available at all) and  1.8 hybrid eCVT. 👍

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, catnash said:

I'm near Whitland.  So you know the roads.👌

Yeah, down there a fair bit, normally stop for a brew just past you at Penblewin

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Once you have accepted the hybrid drive train there is no going backwards to manual unless you are after a car specifically with manual gearbox.., pick up, sport cars etc.  Hybrids btw cvt is called eCVT and it’s completely different than any other cvt gearboxes including Toyota own cvt boxes fitted to non hybrid cars, that’s why I noted in the comparison between two automatics (1.2cvt if available at all) and  1.8 hybrid eCVT. 👍

I didnt know there was a difference, can you tell me how they differ

30 minutes ago, jukied said:

I didnt know there was a difference, can you tell me how they differ

Hi, you can watch some videos on YouTube, they explain very well and will be of interest to you to find out more about your car. Toyota Hybrid drive train does not have gears , no metal belt and pulleys like traditional cvt gear boxes. 
It does have power split device that combines the power from e motors and ICE together and transfer these power directly to the driving wheels via open differential. Here some videos to watch. This guy has the best videos about hybrids transmission, Battery, etc. 

Here more videos how does works . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Timh21 said:

Yeah, down there a fair bit, normally stop for a brew just past you at Penblewin

Next time if I'm not working I'll pop over and compare the car.  There is a 2 litre one in carmarthenn but no test drives at the meeting moment.

5 minutes ago, catnash said:

Next time if I'm not working I'll pop over and compare the car.  There is a 2 litre one in carmarthenn but no test drives at the meeting moment.

Yeah ok, In fact Ive just seen the weather for tomorrow and might risk giving the bike a run as its been sat a while

Thanks for the links to the  cvt .  I thought they were still belt driven

I just watched those videos, fascinating, I too thought belts of some sort were used

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timh21 said:

Manual gearboxes are so last century. I put them in the same category as manual chokes and manual windscreen wipers (by which I mean the old hand operated ones). Time and technology moves on and we should not be subjecting drivers to the drudgery of selecting a gear now that the car can do it for us (and often better than us).

Humans should left to make complex decisions not trivial stuff like selecting drive shaft to engine ratios.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Timh21 said:

I just watched those videos, fascinating, I too thought belts of some sort were used

There are actually several different types of CVT. Some haven't made it out of the laboratory but belts are just the most common option. Even then there can be differences. The Honda system actually pushes the belt rather than pulling it, don't know about the Toyota system.

I have an automatic 4x4 quad with all the bells and whistles.  It's got a CVT gearbox.  Love it though it is thumb driven....Its gearbox is made by cvtech.  

I tried a BMW Scooter a few years back with a CVT, 650cc so not a little one. From the lights it was quicker than most things and great round town, was silly money though so stuck with what I had

On 27/01/2021 at 6:47 PM, Timh21 said:

I tried a BMW Scooter a few years back with a CVT, 650cc so not a little one. From the lights it was quicker than most things and great round town, was silly money though so stuck with what I had

On 1/27/2021 at 3:16 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, you can watch some videos on YouTube, they explain very well and will be of interest to you to find out more about your car. Toyota Hybrid drive train does not have gears , no metal belt and pulleys like traditional cvt gear boxes. 
It does have power split device that combines the power from e motors and ICE together and transfer these power directly to the driving wheels via open differential. Here some videos to watch. This guy has the best videos about hybrids transmission, battery, etc. 

Here more videos how does works . 

tony have a look at a youtube channel called "the car care nut" he is a master toyota technician from the states, he explains all that stuff in a very simplified way, he has loads of cracken vids.

12 hours ago, catnash said:

Did you take you the Corolla today?

Nope, bike.  Tea stop at Carmarthen:

y4mWgDMKuzpJJlKtSuMVBTqvSNJ8wd-7AnJF7L_b

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Timh21 said:

Nope, bike.  Tea stop at Carmarthen:

y4mWgDMKuzpJJlKtSuMVBTqvSNJ8wd-7AnJF7L_b

Nice bike👍 

12 hours ago, hayalgoparati1878 said:

tony have a look at a youtube channel called "the car care nut" he is a master toyota technician from the states, he explains all that stuff in a very simplified way, he has loads of cracken vids.

Thanks. I watch him as well. 👍🚗