Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water in boot

Deggs54

Auris 2008, water getting into rear of car above light cluster, put new seal in cluster and door seal but water still getting in, how the heck do i stop it, had no problems after 5 years so whats happend. Any ideas..

Auris 2007, water keeps getting into the car, fixed the lights, still goes in.

Then i think, hmm, what if i remove the trunk trim, sit inside the car, and see, while someone pours a bunch of water.

The water was coming through the bodywork joints, there are some open spots, most of it is covered by sealant at the factory, but not all.

So, got a bunch of silicone, plugged all the up, nice and dry... for a few months

Fast forward, water has returned, but only with heavy rains, and esp if you drive in the heavy rain.

So, i took the spare wheel out, took those 2 rubber caps which are lowest point in the trunk anyway.

Made 1 hole per cap, threaded some plastic tubing, to hold the hole open, put the caps back.

Took some oil/grease, and gave the spare wheel well a good shine, for a bit more anti corossion protection.

Water comes down, goes into boot, goes out of the boot.. Not a perfect solution, but better than being kept in the boot, rusting out the boot and the spare wheel.

Anyway, it's a known 1st gen problem on Auris.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deggs54 said:

Auris 2008, water getting into rear of car above light cluster, put new seal in cluster and door seal but water still getting in, how the heck do i stop it, had no problems after 5 years so whats happend. Any ideas..

Water mainly goes into the boot through the light clusters, new seal will not help if debris and dirt it’s not properly cleaned, this is most important step, the light clusters on inside and the places where mounted to be clean to perfection, then some silicone form in place gasket or just sealant may help. There is also a possibility water to go in through the top corners on the boot gutter, micro cracks that usually not able to see them easily or at all can let water in and to check for that you have to look inside the C pillars with torch if any marks of water dripping. Other possible place for water to enter the boot is vents behind the bumper, but this only when driving in heavy rain on motorways. Some moisture ok, but water shouldn’t be. I done 2 Auris with silicon and no problems ever since. Red circles where body panels are joined together can apply some clear silicone or specific glue, was mentioned before in previous posts regarding water in boot on Auris. , you can use search to read more about. 
Regards

82200873-4CFE-4B32-AD21-BC5143A3A081.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2020 at 9:46 AM, MrZardoz said:

... This has been completely fixed now by adding clear silicon between the opaque red top section of the cluster and the inner bodywork. (excuse the dirt! just nipped out to take a photo). Again, this is not visible at all once the boot is closed.

lightcluster.jpg

• Thanks 1

Sealing the area mentioned above finally fixed it for me on the left hand side.

• Thanks 1

I put a brand new seal from toyota in, surface was cleaned to eat dinner off, have not siliconed anywhere, water is weeping from above rear light still, do you think i should re install seal but silicone the friggin lot, nice tip on corner pillars though would never think of that.

• Thanks 1

To mention further, the water is coming in through not from the light cluster but through the metal pillar join inside?

12 hours ago, Deggs54 said:

To mention further, the water is coming in through not from the light cluster but through the metal pillar join inside?

That was my case, sealed all the joints, still had water in really heavy rains.

Ok so armed with silicone sealant I have sealed around the light cluster, top of the pillars, where the joins are, the hinges at the top of the door and all around the door seal. If it leaks when it rains im burning the bugger.......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Had some rain earlier....and things at the moment are looking oh so good....Heavy rain and pr snow tonight, I will update 2morow of the outcome, or if you hear a big bang early morning its the car getting launched.....Lol

• Thanks 1

Ah so it rained last night, not much but the car is dry.....the real test will be monday when heavy rain is due, but I think there is so much sealant around the ruddy rear end the Titanic wouldn't sink..Its clear sealand so looks good...happy car happy owner. Cheers guys for the advice.

• Like 2

You can always get a hose, or a 2L bottle of water, just pour around the top of the car, so it gets into the joints.

Then cry a bit because you still have water in the boot 🙂

• Like 1

Furtula, haha, but there is still no water in boot again this morning and it rained a bit last night, fingers crossed i have cured it.

• Thanks 1

So far so good, and the condensation has gone inside the car, windows are clear every day now..

Got the same problem with the right lamp now. When I acquired the car a few year back I was unaware of this design error. The rear left had been leaking unknowingly and the rear wheel trough was filled to the brim. When I hit the brakes the rear passengers got wet legs and feet as the water went over the top and under the rear seats 😁

So I've ordered a new gasket and I'm gonna try that first.

(I miss my Passat 😪)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, J4ff said:

Got the same problem with the right lamp now. When I acquired the car a few year back I was unaware of this design error. The rear left had been leaking unknowingly and the rear wheel trough was filled to the brim. When I hit the brakes the rear passengers got wet legs and feet as the water went over the top and under the rear seats 😁

So I've ordered a new gasket and I'm gonna try that first.

(I miss my Passat 😪)

Thoroughly clean light cluster and the place where fits, dirt and debris are the real cause of the water leak from there. If you do left only it’s a half job done, you need to do both sides. You can also use some sort of silicone in case the new seal does not fix the problem. Once you dealt with it and you had dried the interior you can place some car dehumidifiers into the boot and into the rear door cards so any remaining moisture will be trapped there. If carpet properly wet you need to vacuum out all the water and completely dry the whole interior. Any Auris owner goes through that stage at some point of ownership. 👍

Well it lashed it down this morning and then heavy snow, and my little car is dry inside, so putting sealant around door frame seal, top corner of pillars near roof joins, around the cabling rubber mount and strutt bases.... all around the light cluster, no water coming in through rear air block in bumper. So happy now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Played with 12v Battery today and checked the boot and it’s all dry, so far so good. I only had small amount of water going  through the seals and done the job with silicone and properly cleaned the light clusters last summer. I am using also car dehumidifier just in case against any moisture.