Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2016 SE Cruise Control Help

AWoolford

Greetings folks.  Just joined today because I am trying to fit a cruise control to my Yaris 2017 SE.

It is middle eastern spec in the UAE and I obtained a kit from the US via Amazon.

Sadly the connector inside the steering wheel is a 10-pin affair, not a 3 pin as per all the guides.  Furthermore, on unplugging the 10-pin connector, I found there is only 1 pin actually fitted to the spiral loom, (pin 5), which apparently goes only to the earth tab on the airbag.

Mechanically, the cc arm fits and there is a pop-out panel on the steering wheel for it.

So to proceed further, I suppose I will need to replace the spiral loom with one which has the wiring for the cruise control and, most likely, run a new wire from the other end under the steering column back to the ECU.  

Does anyone have any experience of doing this and what part number would I need for the correct Spiral Loom?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

95150D04-1D08-43B5-8293-C7B418BD742E.jpeg

DDB5418F-2859-4E31-A23A-879652F2B6BD.jpeg

7CA9E31E-13EE-4624-B4AA-03D7CE5CFF86.jpeg

What size engine and is a UAE car or an import

You will need a different clock spring aka a spiral cable, it must be a very basic car not to even have audio controls

It is a 2017 Yaris SE (Sorry for the typo in the title that said 2016).  It is a UAE car, not imported.

According to this: https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/MR2K19F39H1026946

...it is a 1300CC 16valve DOHC (1NRFE) engine.

I attach some pics below which might help.  The android audio system shown now is aftermarket but there were no audio controls on the steering column.

I have shown the instrument cluster with all lights illuminated after turning on ignition.  There does not seem to be a CC lamp, so maybe the ECU doesn't support it either?

I have a chassis number if that would help identify it.

MR2K19F39H1026946

With that said, the official toyota.com website doesn't seem to think this is a valid vin number, despite the other site above having found it.

70CA2C6A-2192-4989-9920-52368E35435C.jpeg

1E915758-05E5-4A57-A30D-05D08552E372.jpeg

BB76991C-2707-4EEE-8CFA-546475AD00C6.jpeg

Toyota.com is the US site as it is a UAE car its comes under Asia/Japan

I put you vin through the General EPC (non-specific region)

Here's some info.................

Model code - NSP150L-AHXRKV

Build date - 06/2017

Engine - 1NRFE

Colour - 040

Destination - GCC (Gulf Corporation Council) - built in Indonesia, The model mark is R, and it's classed as a category A

I will have to look more into GCC spec

Edit. Cruise was part of the e-sport package - can't find any good images of the clock springs aka spiral cable but there are only 2 types

The E-sport package one is -  84307-0D130

Audio controls - 84250-0D090-C0

there are also a Brunei spec audio controls

Audio controls - 84250-0D200-C0

• Like 1

Many thanks for that info.

I note from googling the part numbers that the 84307 Spiral cable includes a "steering sensor".  Do you know what that is for?  The 84306 alternative comes without.

You mention the audio controls as well... Just as an aside - I would think there would need to be an audio loom going from under the steering wheel to the audio panel.  I'm pretty sure the aftermarket stuff would interface to it if the loom is there.  If it's not too much trouble, do you have any details of that loom as well please?

Going back to the cruise control, It might be possible to find an e-sport out here in a scrapyard and strip the relevant parts.  Is it worth replacing the ECU as well do you think, or is that likely to cause issues with other systems?  Again, I am wondering about the ECU loom for the cruise control is needed?

Sorry for all the questions.  Really appreciate your time.

The sensor is the steering angle sensor the only 2 spiral cables listed for your vin are

84307-0D120

84307-0D130

The Chinese built cars don't have airbags

the audio controls use 3 wires A, B and ground for and aftermarket radio you will need an interface adapter

re, wiring it is easier if you make your own wiring to suit, using the parts from a scrap car as the those cables are integrated in to the dashboard loom

how many wires do you have at that plug ?

sketch-1598089344525.png.02216578a86780c

Pins 1 and 2 are for cruise control

These are the pin numbers for that connector (As viewed from the front of the connector)

1326622702_gen3ccconF5.jpg.c7f4ffec2ba0f32ae5dfd772f4e651d7.jpg

1458217824_mk3spiralpinout(Small).thumb.png.a4f71e5eb6cce365237039057db2751d.png

ps. the single wire to the airbag is for the horn

Thanks for the pin outs.  I take it the pale pink wire is pin 1 and the brown one next to it in your photo is pin 2.

I'll have to look tomorrow as my gf is using it right now.  Will post a pic here.

Cheers

Ah great diagram thank you.

Could you clarify your comment "bottom row 1-6 left to right".  I don't follow your meaning there, sorry.

I think you will find that the photo of the connector is upside down compared to the diagram.

• Thanks 1

Oh I see what you mean.

I had assumed the line drawing of the connector was looking towards the pins rather than where the wires entered in the photo.

Sorry I didn't get around to opening the steering column today to take a comparison pic... will try again tomorrow. 

The line drawing is the front of the connector (not the wire side) the picture - the connector is upside down

Got it thanks. 

I will lie upside down with my head in the footwell so it looks the right way up 😜

10 minutes ago, AWoolford said:

Got it thanks. 

I will lie upside down with my head in the footwell so it looks the right way up 😜

Or just unplug it 🙃

• Haha 1

Okay here are the pics of that connector...

The connector looks different to yours though and it is next to a yellow one with two brown wires which I assume is for the airbag.

As you can see there are no pins in the actual socket that it plugs into.

CF53FE89-CD7F-488C-8C87-A56B6C9D8545.thumb.jpeg.194822796d511b21148805b27eefee49.jpeg

7545FC18-F7B6-475F-9649-028F5DB2B2A5.jpeg

051A07E3-4E02-4260-A0F7-D09E261692DE.jpeg

E47C34B3-242A-4366-AFE1-6445C7F0A4FF.jpeg

Correction there is one pin going to that grey wire in the top row which I guess is for the horn.

That's correct your car looks to be pre wired for cruise and audio controls

As yours is a gcc car things like wiring colours can be different compared to European cars

The airbag has its own connector (usually a yellow locking type connector)

The socket is part of the spiral cable

Good news then... I'll try to get hold of the spiral loom.

Thanks so much for the guidance, I'll post progress here.

If you get a used one, take it off care fully tape it or cable tie it in place (wheels and steering wheel straight)

And of course disconnect  the Battery for a minimum of 15 mins

you can also check if the cruise works by shorting pins 1 and 2 this should put the Cruise control light on

Yes I'll be careful thanks.

I'm not convinced there is a cruise control light as I didn't see one light up during the lamp check (my first photo in my original post).  I'll give it a go though.

On 1/31/2021 at 11:38 PM, AWoolford said:

Yes I'll be careful thanks.

I'm not convinced there is a cruise control light as I didn't see one light up during the lamp check (my first photo in my original post).  I'll give it a go though.

I got the same car, year and I am from the same region, so any updates regarding finding a solution to install the cruise control will be MUCH appreciated

• Like 1

Please read the above posts

On 1/31/2021 at 7:34 PM, flash22 said:

You can also check if the cruise works by shorting pins 1 and 2 this should put the Cruise control light on

you only need to short it (link the pins) for a few seconds

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Please read the above posts

you only need to short it (link the pins) for a few seconds

Thanks.  I'll let you know the result.