Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2016 SE Cruise Control Help

AWoolford

On 2/7/2021 at 3:41 PM, flash22 said:

Please read the above posts

you only need to short it (link the pins) for a few seconds

I have a momentary push test button which plugs in nicely to the connector when removed.

Bridging between pins 8+2 (grey and brown in my pic) sounds the horn.

Sadly, bridging between pins 1+2 (pale pink and brown) does not activate a cruise control lamp.  I also tried this safely at 40kph but still no luck.

The only other test to do, might be to temporarily wire in the control stalk, but that will have to wait for another day.

42BE2A1E-CDCC-478B-A0D4-7836E653AAAC.jpeg

4F7DDAD6-A61F-4B36-BCD1-24456F02DC47.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, flash22 said:

Can you check the voltage across pins 1 and 2 ?

Sorry for the delay in replying... life gets in the way sometimes!

The voltage between pins 1 and 2 is 13.2 V with the engine on.  Encouraged by this, I hooked up the cruise control lever directly to the connector and took the Yaris for a short drive at 50KPH.  Sadly cruise control did not activate with any combination of button presses or lever positions.  No lights illuminated.

I checked the lever impedences work; I didn't write them down but there was 0 Ohms on the button press and two different resistances for Set and Resume, while the Cancel was something above 1K.

(As an aside, connecting the Lever across pins 5+6 was able to program the aftermarket HiFi to recognise these as steering wheel button presses so at least I know the lever and the loom to the radio works!)

As far as its intended use is concerned, I suspect this means the loom is wired to the ECU, but the ECU is not programmed.  This begs the following questions:

• Is it possible to program the ECU or are we now looking at replacing it? 
  • Is this something a dealer would do or a third party technician? 
  • Can I buy a programmer to do it or software / USB for my Windows Laptop?

Thanks for your continued support!

Andy

This is the problem no one seems to know, in your market there is the model with CC as standard so a ecu flash/swap may be possible

The audio controls go directly to the radio, whereas the cruise goes through a connector and goes to the ecu (some cars have the wire missing from the loom between the connector and the ecu), you will need to verify the wiring to the ecu, you can physically test with a multi meter or look at a function test with TechStream and Mini VCI cable (A clone is $20) and it up to you if you run a licenced version of techstream or run the one supplied with the lead

ps.  the ecu looks at the ground side for the stalk signal

363169110_YarisCC17-20.thumb.jpg.6f733cd09f32930926077532f731c0e1.jpg

Cheers for that.

Happy to run Techstream but I have absolutely no experience of this software at all or where to obtain it.  I have googled but there is quite a variety of suppliers and versions.  Do you think this software would be able to enable Cruise control in the ECU?

Would you mind providing a link to where I might obtain a known good Mini VCI lead and software please?  I don't mind ordering in the UK as I have a UK shipping forwarding address to the UAE.

Your chart shows a "tester connection 1(ECC) - 3(CCS)."  Where is that connector and what does that mean?  

I can confirm those resistances agree with what I measure across pins 1 and 2 of the connector with the CC stalk connected.

It does, however, look like the instrument cluster has the cruise control indicator lights, although I have not seen them illuminate.  My camera flash sees them though.

4F4100D3-8EEA-462C-AC57-27A8047AFC10.jpeg

Those test points are at the stalk its self I'm not aware of any programming options in tech stream for CC, but you can see the data lists that show the input and output

there are so many sellers of the Mini VCI its a case of finding a seller with decent feedback not shipping out of china, the VXDiag VCX nano is a decent tool but its pricey

Thanks for that.

Ok those are the pins I measured on the stalk, so all is good with the hardware.

You're so right about China.  I initially ordered the stalk via Ali Express from China and got a poster instead - which they refused to refund.  Ended up ordering on Amazon from the US which is the one that eventually arrived.

Thanks for the tip on the Mini VCI.  I'll bear that in mind and let you know what I find.  There's a tuner guy I know in Dubai who has all the right kit.  I might ask him to take a look first.  I'll let you know what I find.

Last question (for now) if I may.  The ECU for my Yaris SE... is it a different part number than the other model you mentioned with Cruise Control?

it may be the same number its just flashed with a different firmware (e-sport option)

But i can look it up..................................................

If so, maybe we can find a way to flash it.

Thanks agin for all your support.  Will report back here when I have something.

Had a look at the GCC cars they did not have cruise as an option, but there are various other markets that did have CC - it's the engine, gearbox and year that's the hard bit to pin down, i'm just wondering if a USA spec car has CC

I recall you saying that with reference to the GCC spec Yaris, Cruise was part of the e-sport package.

The E-sport package clock spring loom was -  84307-0D130.  Must admit I haven't had much luck in finding one but am still looking.

What I don't know is whether the ECU is the same or not, or whether it is a programmable setting or if the whole ECU needs to be changed out.

Given this was manufactured in Taiwan for the GCC market, I am surprised the loom exists, and is connected back to the ECU if CC was not an option.  However, if there is a way of taking an ECU from a US Spec model and making it work with this engine and gearbox then I'd be happy to order one.

These were the details you found from the VIN:

Model code - NSP150L-AHXRKV

Build date - 06/2017
Engine - 1NRFE
Colour - 040

I'm working blind here as I don't have access to the same data that you do.  Getting info in the UAE is very difficult as there isn't much online for this region and the dealerships are monopolies which don't like to play with modifications.  I'd be very grateful if you could suggest which ECU might be compatible.

Some electrical items like the clock spring are used across many cars the ECU is specific to the engine and gearbox combination yours has the 1NR the UAE cars use the 2NZ - the only concern with using a USA spec ecu is emissions

there are a few sites like Megazip and zap7 you can look parts up on

Thanks for that info.  

Sorry for being slow to understand.

The car I have is a UAE car, (originally sold from new in 2017 by the main UAE dealer Al Futtaim (Toyota) LLC, to a car rental company).  Are you saying there are also 2NZ engines in the UAE as well as the 1NR - or that I seem to have an engine from a different region?

It gets quite complex as they are general production, so they cover a lot of markets yours is a GCC car then they have categories for regions and differing specs like Bahrain and UAE as well as grades

Your car comes as 2 specs, a base grade R and a higher grade G - Your full model code is NSP150L-AHXRKV, so that means it's an R but this doesn't take into account locally optioned parts

I can dig into it a bit more when i get time

Looking at this again, i have been through all the general market Yaris's with the 1NRFE and CVT none show CC as an option, i still have got to look at the North/South American cars

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Looking at this again, i have been through all the general market Yaris's with the 1NRFE and CVT none show CC as an option, i still have got to look at the North/South American cars

I really appreciate you taking the time to look into it.  I wouldn't know where to start!  Thank you.

I would find it very curious that the car seems to be pre-wired for CC including the instrument cluster (with the exception of the clock spring loom) all the way to the ECU if there is no such option.  Even the steering wheel has the mounting holes for it.  But maybe there is a model with a bigger engine.

If you do find the option available in another region please do let me know.  Thanks again.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:16 PM, flash22 said:

I have been googling and found a number of 1.3L CVT GLi spec Yaris in Pakistan.  Sadly not very detailed spec, but you'd think a GLi would have CC.

Any luck with North/South America, or Canada maybe?

Could you see if that market might have what we need?

I realise the engine code 1NR is specific to this basic model I have, but I was thinking if another 1.3 vehicle with CVT has CC, perhaps it would be a different engine code but still maybe the ECU would be compatible?

What do you think?

I'd like to avoid an engine swap but maybe if I found a 1.5 written off and going cheap? 🤔

Been watching this thread only idly because I already have original cruise control (1NRFE).  On VW diesels the cruise control is a small part of another electrical controller which also supplies current for other things.  If you want to add CC and you don't already have the right part number for this other controller, you have to upgrade to better.  I only mention this because even after this upgrade you still have to enable CC in the engine ECU.  I wonder if Toyotas need this 'enabling' too.  It isn't an ECU reflash it's just a simple change of coding to tell the vehicle that it now has CC which you might do via Techstream on a Toyota I guess.  This is probably irrelevant being about VW's but it does no harm to mention it.

Thanks for this suggestion.  I am hoping that Techstream might be able to enable CC.

You said "I already have original cruise control (1NRFE)".  Do you mean you have a Yaris with this engine which already has cruise control?  If so, may I ask which Yaris model number and which region you are in?

I'm in the UK.  My Yaris is an 'Icon' model.  NSP 130 with the 1.33 INRFE engine.  The chassis number is VNKKJ3D390A203210.  It has a six speed manual transmission.  (Maybe cruise simply isn't compatible with CVT?)  My car has the audio controls on the steering wheel and an audio screen which doubles for the reversing camera.  I don't have Nav on the screen, I think this is because my car is very last of the 'old' model. 

Thanks for that.  I don't think it is CVT that isn't compatible with CC.  There are other models where the CVT is paired with a different engine that do have CC.  However, thanks for letting me know about the audio controls and the region.  This means I should at least be able to obtain a compatible clock spring loom and a set of controls for this car.  If you don't mind,  I'll use your VIN number to search out the part number for the audio controls.

I'm hoping that @Flash22 might yet find a yaris model with that magic engine/transmission combination in another region. 🙏

Didn't I post the audio control part numbers the Gcc ncp150 use a different wheel and controls, the ecu is in a completely different location too effectively a very different car under the skin

I wish it was as easy a flipping a switch, I will double-check the info I have later today

Yes you did, and thank you:  I wasn't sure about the audio controls because when I searched that part number the visuals appeared different on different sites.