Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2016 SE Cruise Control Help

AWoolford

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Keep us posted 👍

You just need to code the keys and write the vin any shop with a high-end scan tool can do that

It doesn't have smart keys, just a remote locking / unlocking button on the keyring.

You may recall I purchased the VXDIAG interface with a copy of Techstream, so I'm hoping this will let me code the VIN and anything else I might need with the key or immobiliser.

I've seen a few Youtube videos, but nothing specific for the Yaris.  Would you happen to have any instructions or links I could follow?

Success!!!

@flash22 I can't thank you enough for all your help and guidance on this project.  I could never have done it without your expertise and access to the info on the correct ECU for the Japan/Asia region.

A couple of side notes:

The "cracked" version of Techstream Global which I downloaded from: https://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/mini-vci-for-toyota-with-toyota-tis.html

...did program the VIN.  The USB communication interface I used is the VCX Nano, VXDIAG (powered for TIS) which is SAE J2534 compatible for reprogramming.  It was also capable of registering the transponder for the keys - although it said the keys were already registered.  This implies there is a separate ECU for the immobiliser in this model.

After installing the new engine ECU 89661-0U350, techstream immediately showed a fault code to say the VIN was not registered or did not match.  The utility function under the engine ECU section includes a "VIN" option from which you can read or write.

Once that was done, I went to the immobiliser settings and tried to register the keys.  The keys were detected but were found to be already registered.

Finally a look at the cruise control page was immediately evident that it was installed and enabled.  I show the two screenshots below.

Once again, many thanks.  Kudos.

2BD9B9DF-4F44-48BB-9A37-43E9C19E087D.jpeg

A156E3EA-D606-43DA-B8D4-A4D76F14E1B9.jpeg

7F8DF449-5024-4AF4-B4E8-5B563FB79E26.jpeg

54B4A542-BC9C-42AD-A913-469A3B1DCC3A.jpeg

4DBF7296-E76F-4FAD-99A4-35ADA3E5B353.jpeg

Thanks for posting, as I have said before we don't get the Asia built cars in the uk/eu, its been a learning curve for me as well - at least we know now definitively that the ecu is not programmed

Some versions of techsteam have different functions, it's very hit and miss

I have a combination meter swap I'm working on what's proving very challenging looks like its going to require modifying the firmware

• Like 1

For anyone else considering doing this, I would say it worked out quite expensive, given that I could not find any secondhand ECU and I also invested in a programmer which I will likely never use again.  It was a gamble to see if the cruise control was programmable on the old ECU, but it turned out not to be the case.

In summary, the car needed the following parts to complete the modification.

1) Cruise control stalk (Amazon).  I got ripped off by ali express whose Chinese vendor sent me a cheap picture poster instead of the part I ordered, then refused a refund. So I effectively bought this component twice.  Don't forget the stalk exits the steering column via a plastic cutout.  You could just drill a hole in the blanking plate, but the salvage yard had one of those, with a neat little rubber skirt to hug the stalk and close the gap.  Looks factory fitted now.

2) New clock spring to connect to the cruise control.  (Caution, I managed to bust the steering wheel position sensor somehow during fitting).  Bonus - it also supported steering wheel audio control connections.  Turns out this is compatible with the Toyota Corolla including the steering wheel position sensor. (salvage yard).

3) Audio controls steering wheel insert, replaces plastic blanking panel (salvage yard).  Also fitted an aftermarket entertainment system.

4) Replacement airbag to fit new profile for audio controls (salvage yard)

5) ECU 89661-0U350 to replace 89661-0U270.  AED4,057 (approx £802.00) from Al-Futtaim main Toyota dealer.  Visited all of the scrap yards but no success.  I suspect the G model yaris is not available in this region, (or somehow they all avoided having any accidents!), but the part was.

Surprisingly, all of the necessary loom wiring was already installed back to the ECU and to the audio system, except for the clockspring, including the control cluster lights. 

Apart from the engine VIN which had to be entered, everything else was just plug and play.  It has taken me several months, but some of that was just laziness but mainly to do with a fruitless search for the secondhand part around south east Asia.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, flash22 said:

I have a combination meter swap I'm working on what's proving very challenging looks like its going to require modifying the firmware

How do you plan on modifying the firmware?

2 hours ago, AWoolford said:

The "cracked" version of Techstream Global which I downloaded from: https://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/mini-vci-for-toyota-with-toyota-tis.html

My AV/malware protection flagged the download linked from there for ransomware.

Hmm that's not good.  It was clean when I downloaded the file, (I have antivirus too). That link is to the product page, not the download, (the download is linked on that page), but you can't be too careful when accessing Chinese sites.  The home page is www.obdii365.com.  Might be worth checking if that is ok first.

I have no complaints about the vendor though.  Good product and reasonable international delivery time.

3 hours ago, AWoolford said:

How do you plan on modifying the firmware?

I have an EEPROM/programmer, i had to directly wire to the PCB test points but now have the main flash dump i'm working on

I wanted to decompile the .bin file ideally, but it looks like it's going to have to be brute forced by removing a section at a time till i hit the correct address/ flags for the function(s)

Golly 😳.  That takes me back! Machine code programming.  Hard enough to code in the first place, must be a nightmare to reverse engineer!  Sounds fascinating though.

2 hours ago, AWoolford said:

Hmm that's not good.  It was clean when I downloaded the file, (I have antivirus too). That link is to the product page, not the download, (the download is linked on that page), but you can't be too careful when accessing Chinese sites.  The home page is www.obdii365.com.  Might be worth checking if that is ok first.

It was the Free Download Techstream 16.00.017  (newer than the version that I have) download linked on the page & apparently hosted by mega.nz that triggered it.

• Like 1

no issues here, quite a few anti viruses flag mega in general

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

no issues here, quite a few anti viruses flag mega in general

I suspect you may be right.  I think mega.nz is a chinese version of dropbox.  If in doubt, it may be as well to download a suspect file directly to a USB and scan the specific file before opening it.  As I mentioned, I had no problems.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 11:59 AM, flash22 said:

Thanks for posting, as I have said before we don't get the Asia built cars in the uk/eu, its been a learning curve for me as well - at least we know now definitively that the ecu is not programmed

Hello @flash22 , do you remember me? I'm the eu yaris 1.0 owner 😥

Any new for ccs on my car?

Is there an ecu for my car can enable the ccs? Mine is 89661-0UB11    

On 8/28/2021 at 12:00 PM, AWoolford said:

For anyone else considering doing this, I would say it worked out quite expensive, given that I could not find any secondhand ECU and I also invested in a programmer which I will likely never use again.  It was a gamble to see if the cruise control was programmable on the old ECU, but it turned out not to be the case.

In summary, the car needed the following parts to complete the modification.

1) Cruise control stalk (Amazon).  I got ripped off by ali express whose Chinese vendor sent me a cheap picture poster instead of the part I ordered, then refused a refund. So I effectively bought this component twice.  Don't forget the stalk exits the steering column via a plastic cutout.  You could just drill a hole in the blanking plate, but the salvage yard had one of those, with a neat little rubber skirt to hug the stalk and close the gap.  Looks factory fitted now.

2) New clock spring to connect to the cruise control.  (Caution, I managed to bust the steering wheel position sensor somehow during fitting).  Bonus - it also supported steering wheel audio control connections.  Turns out this is compatible with the Toyota Corolla including the steering wheel position sensor. (salvage yard).

3) Audio controls steering wheel insert, replaces plastic blanking panel (salvage yard).  Also fitted an aftermarket entertainment system.

4) Replacement airbag to fit new profile for audio controls (salvage yard)

5) ECU 89661-0U350 to replace 89661-0U270.  AED4,057 (approx £802.00) from Al-Futtaim main Toyota dealer.  Visited all of the scrap yards but no success.  I suspect the G model yaris is not available in this region, (or somehow they all avoided having any accidents!), but the part was.

Surprisingly, all of the necessary loom wiring was already installed back to the ECU and to the audio system, except for the clockspring, including the control cluster lights. 

Apart from the engine VIN which had to be entered, everything else was just plug and play.  It has taken me several months, but some of that was just laziness but mainly to do with a fruitless search for the secondhand part around south east Asia.

Thanks for all , and "mubarak" the ccs 😊

After helping other members, the 1.0 1kr ecu does NOT support CC, the only way is to use an aftermarket cruise control system

On 8/28/2021 at 2:59 PM, flash22 said:

Hi Flash22... How did your meter swap go?

Was just wondering is there a feature list for the 0U270 vs 0U350 that I could compare?  Just wondering if there are any easter eggs included in the 0U350 for the higher spec car that I could choose to enable now that it's fitted?

I couldn't tell you tbh have a look in techstream, the cluster swap is going slowly as it takes time and I have to be in the right frame of mind to deal with hex and comparison

• 3 months later...

Hello people... i have a Yaris 1.4 D4D 2013 model......

NLP130L-CHFNXW ... AT/MT: MANUAL TRANSMISSION; Doors: 5-DOOR; Steering: LEFT-HAND DRIVE VEHICLES; Grade: ACTIVE TYPE; Transmission Type: MTM, 6-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT; Engine: (1NDTV) 1400CC DIESEL TURBO

I have bought a cruise control from internet...i connected but...nothing.... doesnt work...

I attach a foto inside the steering whell before i install the cruise control

I remember one colleuge of mine had bought the full version of d4d .... also manual... and has cruise control and it is working properly.... any ideas?

I will read again the whole thread 😄

@flass22 any ideas? 😔

IMG-54e721f2cfffe3ce6299dce1ca1c3fb0-V.jpg

Hi F117.  Have a good read through these posts and it should guide you towards the things you need to check.

I note you have audio controls on your steering wheel, which would suggest the clock spring will support a CC connector.  However, you will need to check what wiring you have between the clock spring and the ECU behind the dashboard.  My early posts show the connector underneath the clock spring after removing the steering column plastic clamshell.  If the wiring exists you need to check the voltages on the pins to see if it goes all the way to the ECU.

Your instrument cluster may or may not have the LEDs fitted for the CC active indications.  I was lucky, but you need to check your specific vehicle.

As your vehicle is a manual, you also need to see if a clutch pedal switch is fitted and wired in.  I would suspect not if your car does not have CC as standard.

There are a number of YouTube videos you can search for which deal with fitting this switch.

Ultimately, you might also have to change the ECU for a compatible type which will support CC as I did.  Unless you can find one in a breaker's yard, this is likely to be a costly item from the dealer.

Lastly, the precise sequence you follow will depend on your specific vehicle type and as yours is a very different engine/transmission combination to mine, it would probably be worth your while to start a new thread on this forum and document each step, so any advice will be specific for your vehicle.

• Thanks 1

First thing to do is check the ECU with techstream and see if it has the data list items

Diesels use a different system to petrols

• Thanks 1

you think this will work? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003035734298.html

@AWoolford "As your vehicle is a manual, you also need to see if a clutch pedal switch is fitted and wired in.  I would suspect not if your car does not have CC as standard."

I couldnt understand clearly what i have seen...i will try seen again tommorow...but it if means anything in order to start the car you have to press down the clutch otherwise it doesnt start... is the same switch?

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from Ali Express, having been ripped off when I bought the CC lever from one of their suppliers and ended up with a poster instead, which they refused to refund.

I bought my kit direct from https://www.obdii365.com

If you have to press the clutch pedal to start it, then yes you have a switch.

The unit you show is probably capable of reading the ECU, but I am not sure if it will reprogram it unless it is SAE J2534 compatible.  I note that the cable you have shown says it is, but it is also described as a "diagnostic tool" which you might find is "read only".

As I was buying a replacement ECU, I had to reprogram the VIN and potentially the keys, (although on my particular model it turned out the keys did not need reprogramming).  Anyway, I had to ask the question to the support guys at obdii365.com who were helpful (although their English was a bit hit and miss).  They recommended a different programmer so I can only speak from my experience, to say that the one i bought worked for me.

https://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/vxdiag-vcx-nano-for-toyota-tis-techstream-compatible-with-sae-j2534.html

If I were you, I would get in touch with them and explain what you are trying to do.  From my earlier post at the top of this page...

The "cracked" version of Techstream Global which I downloaded from: https://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/mini-vci-for-toyota-with-toyota-tis.html

...did program the VIN.  The USB communication interface I used is the VCX Nano, VXDIAG (powered for TIS) which is SAE J2534 compatible for reprogramming.  It was also capable of registering the transponder for the keys.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys 

I'm going through the same process, bought the cc stalk and cable from Toyota, fitted it and no joy sadly.

car is a Yaris d4d 2015, does not start unless the clutch is down so guess the clutch switch is already installed. 

where is this plug located that needs the link to be checked to the ecu? Under the airbag in the steering wheel? 

I can also provide my vin if that clears anything up?

thanks in advance

jamie