Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2016 SE Cruise Control Help

AWoolford

If you go through my earlier posts you will find pictures.  The stalk connects to a connector under the airbag in the steering wheel.  This connector typically has other pins which connect to the horn button and possibly steering wheel audio controls, as well as a separate bright orange connector on a yellow lead for the airbag.  

The connector is part of a unit called a "spiral loom" or "clockspring" which basically allows for the rotation of the steering wheel.  Basic models may have a clockspring fitted which does not have enough pins for the CC control as was the case with me.  I found a suitable one from a breakers yard (from a Toyota Corolla) which was compatible.  You have to remove the steering wheel to replace it and also be aware there will probably be a steering wheel angle sensor clipped behind it.

Do not make the mistake of removing it and refitting it in the wrong position like I did.  If you are lucky, your replacement part will come with an angle sensor already attached. Keep it that way and it should work, although you may need to do an steering angle reset which can be done with tech stream or a paper clip if you want to google it.

Once you have the clockspring sorted, you need to find the loom under the dashboard that goes between the clockspring and the ECU.  I was lucky enough that all the wiring was present, but check the pin numbers on my earlier posts.

Also I was lucky that the instrument panel already had the correct LEDs fitted for the cruise control indications.  But again YMMV.

Finally, the ECU must support Cruise Control. If it doesn't you will have to find a replacement ECU which supports the same engine and gearbox combination for a higher spec model which does have cruise control.  Sadly I had to buy a new one from Toyota which wasn't cheap, but I was able to fit it myself as a drop-in replacement and use techstream to program the VIN.  If you're lucky your ECU will just work, or you might find one at a breaker's yard.

Hope that helps.

That connector is located just below the wiper stalk you just need to remove the cowl

turn the wheel left to access 1 screw and right to access the other - their others that you need to undo in the bottom plastic

please start your own thread as this one is mainly talking about the Asia built yaris

Hi,

Mine is a NCP150L-AHPRKV. I wonder what i have to do in order to activate CC. 

IMG-20220112-WA0052.jpg

IMG-20220112-WA0050.jpg

From the picture it looks like you might need to replace the clock spring as the connector for the CC stalk looks like it has no pins in it. The picture is a bit fuzzy though, so hard to tell. The instrument cluster looks similar to mine.  The connector should look like the pictures below:  

On the underside of the dash, the white connector plugs into the other end of the clockspring.  The wiring loom for the cc control should include the red and brown wires shown (although the colour code may vary by model).  You could use a test switch or use a couple of small pieces of tinned copper wire to momentarily short those two pins to see if the CC light comes on and off when the engine is running.  Also you could measure the voltage across them to see if they go all the way back to the ECU.

If you have those wires installed, but the CC light does not activate, then you need to look at the engine ECU.  It should be behind the passenger glove box under the dash.  I have added a picture of the location of mine.  What is the part number?

92405AA6-8344-4888-B8ED-29895D835BB8.jpeg

AE4A3E5E-5ADC-4073-8FED-08B7E3979419.jpeg

F69B64EF-3EB5-42F6-BAFA-BAAE71F7C018.jpeg

D9612C86-901F-4524-B502-F2576D27B8F8.jpeg

3A9C2A7E-9A62-4F88-B53B-F60FF7078A4D.jpeg

24A46A17-F558-4BD2-91A2-181777B9899B.jpeg

Removed

Edited by AWoolford
Duplicate

See the small connector on the right - it should have 4 pins inside it.  The connector at the bottom should have 12 pins inside it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking at the op's pic's it looks like it has the correct clockspring (has audio controls)

The EPC comes up as Cruise - Not Applicable - it usually means the ECU does not support it

check the part number on the ecu behind the glovebox

Have you been able to connect Techstream to the OBD port...

54B4A542-BC9C-42AD-A913-469A3B1DCC3A.thumb.jpeg.321905458071759e07358394e80bafcf.jpeg

and see what data you have in the cruise control pages?  It should be populated similar to the above.  If not, you will need to find another ECU with cruise that is compatible with your engine and gearbox.  @flash22 might be able to help find one.

13 hours ago, AWoolford said:

Have you been able to connect Techstream to the OBD port...

54B4A542-BC9C-42AD-A913-469A3B1DCC3A.thumb.jpeg.321905458071759e07358394e80bafcf.jpeg

and see what data you have in the cruise control pages?  It should be populated similar to the above.  If not, you will need to find another ECU with cruise that is compatible with your engine and gearbox.  @flash22 might be able to help find one.

For that i believe  i need the software and USB to OBD2 cable? Right? 

0DU70 does not support cruise - so it's the same as @AWoolford it's an ecu swap job - if the ecu has 5 plugs it's more than likely the 0U350 - what can be found in the 2017 on Vios (4 door saloon yaris) but is ultra rare in the GCC/UAE

As above, you need techstream to program the vin and security

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

0DU70 does not support cruise - so it's the same as @AWoolford it's an ecu swap job - if the ecu has 5 plugs it's more than likely the 0U350 - what can be found in the 2017 on Vios (4 door saloon yaris) but is ultra rare in the GCC/UAE

As above, you need techstream to program the vin and security

Mine has only 4 plugs. 

P_20220118_204526.jpg

Ok 0U350 will not work, i will have to look it up and see if i can find an equivalent

What is the engine and gearbox?  Mine which used the 0U270 originally, replaced with the 0U350 is the 1NRFE engine and CVT gearbox.

The information should be on the inside of the drivers door.

Edited by AWoolford
Corrected Engine number

ah, didn't spot that at first, op has a NCP150L-AHPRKV 1NZFE ATM so the 1.5 - it's more common setup

On 3/25/2021 at 3:50 PM, flash22 said:

as far as I can work out................

1. A - Category - Model name

2.H - Body - 5 door

3.X - Gearbox - Cvt

4.G - specification or grade

5.K - Engine type

6.V - Location - Middle East

Edit.

Tbh i have only just look into the exact meaning of the full model codes - so i learnt something new today

1859751913_Toyotamodelcode.thumb.jpg.b080ca3f026e4e3445da7fd804e49de9.jpg

I am wondering Is there any combination of the engine and gearbox (item 3 and 5)? Perhaps a G spec model (item 4)?  Even if a different basic model code?

NCP150L-AHPGKV (GCC) NCP150L-AHPGKM (PH) and NCP150L-AHPGKR (Taiwan)

neither show CC

the base code is Engine and model

the NCP151 changed to the 2NZFE engine

It all gets very confusing, working out the models, as you know from the research we had to do for yours

• Thanks 1

It might still be worth the OP checking out Pins 1 and 2 on that 12 pin Clock Spring connector below the steering column.

ADF896AC-C515-4662-89D2-0D8C02CAD6FC.png

If they are present, short them together momentarily with the engine running and see if any lights come on the instrument cluster.

1 hour ago, AWoolford said:

What is the engine and gearbox?  Mine which used the 0U270 originally, replaced with the 0U350 is the 1NRFE engine and CVT gearbox.

The information should be on the inside of the drivers door.

1.5L 1NZFE 4AT gearbox (not CVT). 

The car is in Saudi Arabia. Got it from Toyota dealer (ALJ) 

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

I have not found any ecu that supports CC on a NCP150 with ATM

So no chance.... 

Screenshot_20220119-200345470.jpg

Screenshot_20220119-200338374.jpg