Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Aygo fire brake pipe corroded- advice please!!

Amcinerney07

I own a 2012 Toyota aygo fire 5dr, recently had my car serviced at a Toyota dealership (where my car is from) and they told me that my front to rear break pipes are severely corroded on both sides. Now I will need this fixed for MOT by April,  however does anyone know the average cost of this? I was quoted by them, upwards of £800 (and that was a lower price they told me) and that it would take all day... however upon research it claims that break pipes only take upwards of 2-3 hours ? I have seen some people quoting numbers like £70 etc which makes this £800 seem extortionate! Having asked around it seems this is an outrageous price, especially as I am a student and don’t have this to fork out and surely it can’t be that expensive ??? if anyone has any advice or suggestions for me that would be fantastic. (I am based in NI). 

thanks in advance! 😄

• Like 1

I’m not sure of the relevance of your response however, the man at the desk was not because he was behind a screen and not sure about the person who looked at the car... why do you ask?

I was referring to the type of mask ***** (Richard) Turpin wears when he is robbing people. 

Lol yeah. Daylight robbery. Didn’t feel the price was accurate especially as he was trying to suggest that was a lower end price. ,just be giving the car 24k gold pipes for gods sake 

The price of the pipe is next to nothing, £20 would cover it. So the price is almost all labour.

They might need the car all day but I could do that in my driveway in a couple of hours. 

should be less than 150 at a non franchised dealer , some chance theyre exaggerating and it could be cleaned up for another few years use

nothing to be gained taking an older car to toyota , theyre very basic and any back stret garage can service them

The short pipes from flexy to wheel cylinders are circa £15 each. The long front to rear pipes are £60 each. These pipes if ordered from Toyota come shaped/formed exactly and are easier to fit in terms of their length etc, but can equally be made by any garage. The short pipes would take an hour or so max, the long front to rear ones are a little more complex and might take a couple of hours inc bleeding etc. The long ones are not really a job for your driveway, short ones can be done easily

• Like 2

When my car went in for the air bag recall, they did a safety check and quoted me four hours to do the same job on my Avensis.

20210130_131057.thumb.jpg.1bfc9aef6c4b4d9010029d27d5be221a.jpg

My advice is to find a garage that has a good reputation, talk to them to replace brake pipes , service the brakes clean and lube and do MOT for you all together to warrant against any issues afterwards, don’t do brakes in one place and get mot in another is my point. You can  Buy the pipes from Toyota to make sure they are good quality. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

should be less than 150 at a non franchised dealer , some chance theyre exaggerating and it could be cleaned up for another few years use

nothing to be gained taking an older car to toyota , theyre very basic and any back stret garage can service them

Yes I’ve been looking into local garages to see what the price would be- I would like to say they are exaggerating but they look bad to me... 😅 I’ve attached pics below 

859C3EB8-C829-49BE-BB75-196310A25214.jpeg

2D53FAEA-2509-4D50-BE3B-635F0414E832.jpeg

yeah they look a bit sore , you can have a good bit joined on in some cases if the rest is good

I didn't replace the whole pipe, I cut out the bad bit and pieced it in.

1569821881_thumbnail_Endproduct.jpg.12378f9191c85a96f026ec79c93e26f2.jpg243816564_thumbnail_Newpipe.jpg.b6dba84c3c3f3b317a35691b3dc171a2.jpg781292340_thumbnail_Newpipes.jpg.c2eaa3996525ff2e6f083c6dfdee71f5.jpg1692030714_thumbnail_Oldpieces.jpg.f3c163d232c719ac9eccf79bffa85671.jpg1647745623_thumbnail_Oldpipe.jpg.6623c7fcca8cf93a742384fdf7161a0e.jpg

Crikey, that price is more than value of our whole car, good comments all round, good to know genuine Toyota pipe prices are reasonable. 

I did a rear brake line across the back on a previous car few years ago and I got that pipe from a local motor factors and handily they flared the ends which I couldn't do, but that was about £30 all in. Shaping the rear pipe was the tricky part, so knowing the genuine Toyota pipe is pre-formed is another plus.  

• Like 1