Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


toyota corolla hybrid, is it all that?


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Oh I agree, 'charging up' was a figure of speech and my wife's perception.  What I am saying is the car does everything immaculately with the ACC maintaining its station on the car in front.  It then smoothly accelerates as the traffic moves off.  Not all the time of course but a delight when the timing works.

My wife is not a good passenger, she visibly braces or some times says LOOK which has me doing a quick scan before braking when it was a bird or something that caught her eye.

No the bigger problem I find when approaching standing traffic at lights on a downhill is the car behind.  I lift off and let the battery recharge and the car slow down.  They however are intent on maintaining speed before a brake test on arrival at the hold up.  Maths at school was never their strong point.

The idiots Roy, don`t need Maths to observe The Highway Code!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

John, "The idiots Roy, don`t need Maths to observe The Highway Code!" Indeed, but do they ever read it?  I remember when it was a little booklet and the most important thing was to memorise the stopping distance table.  Everything else was taught by your instructor.  Now it is larger than a Toyota handbook.

By maths I was referring to calculating just how many seconds they would save.  They should then cogitate on what they plan to do with the 10 seconds saved here and there.  There was one road drove regularly pre-Covid.  This stretch was about 10 miles, had several different speed limits, passed through a number of villages and choke points and offered very few opportunities to overtake.  That encouraged some to overtake when ever the opportunity presented.  At the end the road split to two lanes at a 3-way roundabout.  I lost count the number of times I would be immediately behind or along side a car that had shot past me miles previous.  Some people just do not think.

I think the Toyota's automatic features invite economical cruising rather than the Sport mode.  Other than seeing the pretty red speed ring I have never been tempted to use it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

John, "The idiots Roy, don`t need Maths to observe The Highway Code!" Indeed, but do they ever read it?  I remember when it was a little booklet and the most important thing was to memorise the stopping distance table.  Everything else was taught by your instructor.  Now it is larger than a Toyota handbook.

By maths I was referring to calculating just how many seconds they would save.  They should then cogitate on what they plan to do with the 10 seconds saved here and there.  There was one road drove regularly pre-Covid.  This stretch was about 10 miles, had several different speed limits, passed through a number of villages and choke points and offered very few opportunities to overtake.  That encouraged some to overtake when ever the opportunity presented.  At the end the road split to two lanes at a 3-way roundabout.  I lost count the number of times I would be immediately behind or along side a car that had shot past me miles previous.  Some people just do not think.

I think the Toyota's automatic features invite economical cruising rather than the Sport mode.  Other than seeing the pretty red speed ring I have never been tempted to use it.

I know exactly what you mean Roy. My first copy of THE HIGHWAY CODE cost one old penny at a time we drank milk from small bottles in Primary School.

I was Captain of my school`s Road Safety Team and a member of the Town`s Team too and I knew its contents from cover to cover. The idiots revise its contents for their Driving Examination and now sit a rather silly computer test. SO, THEY DO NOT KNOW EVEN 50%.

Phrases such as "do not overtake when" or "drive having regard to road and conditions", or "within a distance from the vehicle in front within which you know you can stop" do not seem to enter the consciousness of today`s drivers.

It falls to us to retain our composure and to set standard that hopefully others may follow. Just continue to enjoy your fine piece of machinery and leave others to gamble with their lives.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Luke717 said:

Mark, I'd not set the electronic handbrake at all, just place the car in park. I've been doing this with mine since the first frost when the rear brakes became stuck to the discs. No more of that now, nor the noise in use.

Edit: The Toyota blog post referenced earlier actually references the parking point:

 

Putting the car in Park automatically engages the electronic parking brake. The only way round this is to hit the kill button with the car in D or N, then move the selector to P and hit the kill button again to switch from Accessories to off. This really is only an option in a garage with a level floor. You do not want the weight of the vehicle held by the Park pawl.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RabButler said:

Putting the car in Park automatically engages the electronic parking brake. The only way round this is to hit the kill button with the car in D or N, then move the selector to P and hit the kill button again to switch from Accessories to off. This really is only an option in a garage with a level floor. You do not want the weight of the vehicle held by the Park pawl.

I think you can disable this and change many more preferences just with one simple obd 2 adapter . I hooked my car the other day using Carista and free software provided by them and got 19 ecu diagnostics for fault codes, and quite few options to change. I only disabled the seat belt beeping for now. Very useful toy. Bought from Amazon

B784E468-D818-4E02-8AD6-F462AD53635B.jpeg

5D6124D8-2513-4D15-A1C0-B22D5E872757.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you hold the handbrake button down for several seconds it’ll turn off the auto handbrake when in park.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shufman said:

If you hold the handbrake button down for several seconds it’ll turn off the auto handbrake when in park.  

Exactly, Ian, that's what I do if I want to leave the car in P without the handbrake on. The full PDF manual covers it on pages 265-267.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent! Top tip.

On 05/02/2021 at 6:55 AM, shufman said:

If you hold the handbrake button down for several seconds it’ll turn off the auto handbrake when in park.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership