Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CTEK MXS 5.0 charger can be used to recondition AGM battery?

Davidhee58

I just came cross Oliver Jobson's CTEK Battery charge users guide, and he said "only use RECOND mode with a standard Lead Acid Battery or Enhanced Flooded Battery (EFB) (this includes calcium EFB batteries). RECOND will not help an Advanced Glass Matt (AGM) battery. It could even harm a Gel battery", but the CTEK MXS 5.0 manual doesn't mention it, has anyone used Rcond mode on Auris hybrid AGM battery? I am thinking to order a CTEK battery charger, but don't know if I should go for CTEK MXS 5.0A or CTEK MXS 3.8A.

Ok. First of all CTek chargers are damm good, the best charger. They charge even if the Battery voltage has dropped to 2 volts. At that level of discharge most chargers would give up. I have both the older 3.6 and the newer 5.0. The 3.6 has fewer stages in charging but does a great job of desulfating, charging and maintainance of charge. The 5.0 has few more steps and gimmicks with led lights telling you what stage you are on. It has a deep recondition mode that can be useful in badly discharged lead acid Battery. I used it for the first time in my son's Aygo the other day after a bad discharge. Mx5 has an AGM mode so why not use it. The lead acid batteries suffer layering problem and that is why recond mode is useful. AGM perhaps don't have layering problem. If you use 3.6 for AGM then you need to use winter mode with slightly higher charging current. If you can not or will not use the recond mode than 3.6 charger is just as good for charging and cheaper to buy. My CTek 3.6 is at least 15 years old and still going strong between 4 cars. I have two other smart chargers, cheap China made (bought at sale price from warehouse) but I hardly ever use them.

• Like 1

All you need to do is put it on trickle aka maintenance charge (low and slow) i would go with the 5.0 - look at the chart on page 5 of the manual

https://www.ctek.com/storage/28170E5A4DF8DDE255F2544A55F5C421179A3398C557729443D3E9C908F0382E/d4c71f1fcf354b37bdfb3841d00adafd/pdf/media/01d8e64db81c4259bda89213323dad93/MXS_5.0-manual-low-UK-EN.pdf

AGM batteries like to be charged between 2-4 amps - lower the better

I bought my CTEK MXS 5 from www.Louis.de email Euro 14.99.  Poundwise this was about £77.

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I bought my CTEK MXS 5 from www.Louis.de email Euro 14.99.  Poundwise this was about £77.

You sure you got your euro to pound conversion right?  14.99  Euro is dead cheap.

Dont forget you may get done for vat, duty and handling fees now as we are out of the EU

edit. checked that site - 64.41 euro - uk suppliers £62-75

24 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Dont forget you may get done for vat, duty and handling fees now as we are out of the EU

edit. checked that site - 64.41 euro - uk suppliers £62-75

Although the parcel came with a shed load of customs forms there was no examination and the VAT and postage were included.  Regarding duty, as we are in a tariff free agreement that does not apply.  BTW, never had and charges on stuff from China.

Part of my original post got chopped after I pressed send.  I paid Euro 85.  The 14.99 was the price of the extension lead.  It was slightly less expensive than one supplier but more expensive than Amazon.  I needed to increase the total price to more than £75 which enabled me to get a £15 discount from my card company but that was just another factor.

I’ve got the 5.0 and have used it on 3  Varta AGM Toyota batteries (2 of which on Hybrids). I’ve never used the re-cond mode, as I’ve never let a Battery get fully depleted. 

I've not actually used the AGM mode either - as it appears to only charge the AGM quicker, with more heat generated. I’ve left the Battery in the car whilst charging, and wasn’t in a rush so just left the CTEC in normal mode. 

I bought mine from here last March: https://www.tayna.co.uk/battery-chargers/ctek/mxs5-0/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlLGG6uKR7gIVt4BQBh3LJQigEAQYAyABEgJ37fD_BwE

1 hour ago, Gray86 said:

I’ve got the 5.0 and have used it on 3  Varta AGM Toyota batteries (2 of which on Hybrids). I’ve never used the re-cond mode, as I’ve never let a battery get fully depleted. 

I've not actually used the AGM mode either - as it appears to only charge the AGM quicker, with more heat generated. I’ve left the battery in the car whilst charging, and wasn’t in a rush so just left the CTEC in normal mode. 

I bought mine from here last March: https://www.tayna.co.uk/battery-chargers/ctek/mxs5-0/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlLGG6uKR7gIVt4BQBh3LJQigEAQYAyABEgJ37fD_BwE

Thanks Graeme for your information., I have looked Tayna website as well, they sell CTEK a few pounds cheaper than at Amazon, if it's not recommended to use Recond mode to AGM Battery, I am still not sure if I should order a CTEK 5.0 with Recond mode or just get a CTEK 3.8 without Recond mode, which may be good enough for the 35AH AGM on the Hybrid Auris. 

11 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

Ok. First of all CTek chargers are damm good, the best charger. They charge even if the battery voltage has dropped to 2 volts. At that level of discharge most chargers would give up. I have both the older 3.6 and the newer 5.0. The 3.6 has fewer stages in charging but does a great job of desulfating, charging and maintainance of charge. The 5.0 has few more steps and gimmicks with led lights telling you what stage you are on. It has a deep recondition mode that can be useful in badly discharged lead acid battery. I used it for the first time in my son's Aygo the other day after a bad discharge. Mx5 has an AGM mode so why not use it. The lead acid batteries suffer layering problem and that is why recond mode is useful. AGM perhaps don't have layering problem. If you use 3.6 for AGM then you need to use winter mode with slightly higher charging current. If you can not or will not use the recond mode than 3.6 charger is just as good for charging and cheaper to buy. My CTek 3.6 is at least 15 years old and still going strong between 4 cars. I have two other smart chargers, cheap China made (bought at sale price from warehouse) but I hardly ever use them.

Thanks Rajiv, Actually the newer CTEK 3.8 is quite similar to CTEK 5.0, it's a 7 steps charger without Recond mode, as the charging rate is lower (3.8A vs 5.0A), CTEK 3.8 may be a bit slower.  

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Although the parcel came with a shed load of customs forms there was no examination and the VAT and postage were included.  Regarding duty, as we are in a tariff free agreement that does not apply.  BTW, never had and charges on stuff from China.

Part of my original post got chopped after I pressed send.  I paid Euro 85.  The 14.99 was the price of the extension lead.  It was slightly less expensive than one supplier but more expensive than Amazon.  I needed to increase the total price to more than £75 which enabled me to get a £15 discount from my card company but that was just another factor.

Hi Roy, how long did it take for delivery for you?  more than one week? David