Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fluttering RPM when cruising!

Infiniti

Hey everyone!

I'm having a really strange problem at the moment with my 2008 Auris SR180. When I'm driving, with the engine at operating temperature, my RPM will flutter and cause the car to judder slightly.

It only flutters a very small amount, within the 200 RPM lines, however you can feel the dips in power while it is happening. It normally happens when cruising at a set speed, and also occurs when cruise control is being used.

No fault codes are being flagged because of this issue, making me think it wont be a sensor?

Any help of where to begin/ any ideas of how to help diagnose further?

Thank you!

Not quite the same as you report and on the 1.33L but I've long complained of a weird happening where suddenly it can feel a bit flat and when cruising at speed it feels like it is hunting a little. Almost imperceptible but there. The problem appears every 12 months or so, has done from new, and a Battery disconnect (ECU reset) is an instant fix.

Two years ago I replaced the plugs with the latest Toyota recommended fitment and found these have gone up a heat range to a hotter plug... and I  can't just recall the issue having occurred since then tbh...  

Try a reset first but if that doesn't work then I've no other ideas I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Mooly said:

Not quite the same as you report and on the 1.33L but I've long complained of a weird happening where suddenly it can feel a bit flat and when cruising at speed it feels like it is hunting a little. Almost imperceptible but there. The problem appears every 12 months or so, has done from new, and a battery disconnect (ECU reset) is an instant fix.

Two years ago I replaced the plugs with the latest Toyota recommended fitment and found these have gone up a heat range to a hotter plug... and I  can't just recall the issue having occurred since then tbh...  

Try a reset first but if that doesn't work then I've no other ideas I'm afraid.

Thank you for responding!

I hadn't thought of disconnecting the Battery to give it a go, thank you for the suggestion. If either work, I'll let you know!

Don't forget to let the car idle first 10 minutes, to re-learn idle, then take it for a short drive.

Hi Kyle,

Is this when using cruise control by any chance?

When I had my 180 it would do something similar while using cruise control at 50+ mph when going down an incline - it would sometimes start "stuttering" and the RPM's would deviate approx +/- 100rpm. I never got to the bottom of it, and it only happened when using cruise control so left it. 

sorry - I clearly didn't read your post properly I haven't fully woken up yet! 

But yes if it happens only when the cruise control is on - then I had this exact issue as well. As it only happened when "one would lift off the accelerator" to maintain a speed if one wasn't using cruise control - e.g going down a long decline, i just left it. 

1 hour ago, Phil_1985 said:

sorry - I clearly didn't read your post properly I haven't fully woken up yet! 

But yes if it happens only when the cruise control is on - then I had this exact issue as well. As it only happened when "one would lift off the accelerator" to maintain a speed if one wasn't using cruise control - e.g going down a long decline, i just left it. 

Hey Phil!

It does happen with cruise control, however it also happens when cruise control isn't being used as far as I can remember! It is a very intermittent issue so it's really hard to debug.

From spending hours and hours of re-phrasing google searches and forums, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that others who have experienced this issue have spent hundreds in fixing, to no avail. Or have simply ignored it, and nothing serious seems to have come of the issue, much like yourself.

I'm still somewhat optimistic that I will at least find the cause, even if I can't afford to fix it! But the more I read, that optimism is in decline sadly.

I simply just keep hoping that it isn't a turbo leak issue, or anything to do with piston rings/ gaskets!

I haven't had my 180 for a while now (My mum unfortunately wrote it off lol ... nothing major and no injuries - just wasn't economical to repair)...

- I mentioned it to Toyota a few times (I had an extended warranty with them at the time) and they couldn't find a fault. It was always serviced at Toyota and had new diesel filters at the correct intervals etc but this didn't make a difference.

- I used to clean the EGR myself every 10k and this didn't make a difference.

- I tried various brands of diesel incl "v power" type fuels

- The car had the headgasket issue and had a replacement engine @ Toyota - this didn't make a difference

The car had a new EGR valve (original became faulty) and an intake manifold decoke (preventative measure) but I didn't get a chance to see if the issue persisted as the car was no longer shortly after (written off)

6 minutes ago, Phil_1985 said:

I haven't had my 180 for a while now (My mum unfortunately wrote it off lol ... nothing major and no injuries - just wasn't economical to repair)...

- I mentioned it to Toyota a few times (I had an extended warranty with them at the time) and they couldn't find a fault. It was always serviced at Toyota and had new diesel filters at the correct intervals etc but this didn't make a difference.

- I used to clean the EGR myself every 10k and this didn't make a difference.

- I tried various brands of diesel incl "v power" type fuels

- The car had the headgasket issue and had a replacement engine @ Toyota - this didn't make a difference

The car had a new EGR valve (original became faulty) and an intake manifold decoke (preventative measure) but I didn't get a chance to see if the issue persisted as the car was no longer shortly after (written off)

Based on that you had an engine replacement, and from what other people have said, it possibly seems as though it may be an ECU issue/ minor fault. Of which I will most certainly never diagnose.

I most certainly don't want to waste my money trying to chase a problem which isn't important or serious. So thank you for this!

So I've noticed that it seems to frequently happen around the same time as DPF burn. Probably why I noticed that it happens only when the engine is warm. By DPF burn I mean the short few seconds where a lot of smoke pours from the exhaust, and then stops again. 

A DPF burn can occur without this stuttering issue, however they do seem to be frequently paired. It tends to happen within around 5-10 seconds before the burn, during the burn or around 5-10 seconds after the burn.

I'm now thinking that the DPF sensor, or the DPF its self may be clogged up, any ideas?