Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Avensis Bumper

mark.wallace@mawallace1.d

I had an accident with a pheseant which has left me with a broken bumper.

The Toyota garage referred me to a local "approved" firm which has just quoted me a total of £356.44 + VAT!

Questions I have are:-

(i) The estimate included "painting the bumper". I thought that the colocr coded bumpers all came already painted.

(ii) Does the quote seem resonable.

(iii) How easy would it be for me to get the bumper from Toyota (or elserwhere) and paint it myself!

Well it'll probably be cheaper to get it on insurance (do an online insurance quote assuming your getting your next insurance but with a claim and 1 years NCB lost, if it only goes up by £100 ish from your last premium then its cheaper than paying £300+ for the work yourself).

The bumper will need painting, that quote will include this. Toyota are not going to have a stock lying around somewhere of a few thousand bumpers painted in the 20 odd colours that were used during the 5 year run of the old Avensis, they will be plain and need painting.

I wouldn't try painting it yourself, not on something as new as your car as the colour match and finish will probably look terrible, however if you do have one in a common colour, you might be able to get one in the same colour as your car from a breakers yard, the match may not be 100% due to batch variations but should be 99% there and a lot cheaper.

£350 is a bit ripe but not unreasonable, a proper job like that will include removal and disposal of the old bumper, sourcing and fitting the new one, painting the new one, and dusting the surrounding area with paint to make it match, probably talking somewhere in the region of £100 for the bumper, £50 for paint and a few hours labour so it's not too bad.

think yourself lucky, i hit a large dog at 60mph on a duel carageway, put a huge hole in the bumper broke the grill and headlamp and bent the wing. cost £1300 to repair i had to pay £400 exsess on my insurance to save my no claims? :crybaby: :censor: :crybaby:

i had to pay £400 exsess on my insurance to save my no claims? :crybaby: :censor: :crybaby:

Excess has nothing to do with saving your no-claims.

Basically the excess is the amount you are prepared to pay towards the cost of repairs yourself, the higher the excess, the lower your insurance premium because the insurer won't be paying for any repairs that cost less than that amount, you'll still lose NCB unless it's protected.