Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody know what this could be?

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Guys,

Noticed this white residue on my Battery mat over the weekend, any ideas what it could be? Its a brand new Battery fitted just a few months ago. Could it be frost bite maybe?

20210130_145654.jpg

Hi Sam, you probably seen something similar on household devices using AA or AAA batteries ie tv controller, torches etc. It’s due corrosion, can be treated.  I suggest you ask the question on the Internet ie Wikipedia.... what is the white powder on my car Battery (or something similar). Be carefully with your hands, it is corrosive.

It's normal, and as said above, it's corossion. Usually it's on terminals, and falls down, so check your terminals.

If it's really nasty, and you have it on terminals, you can put some baking soda in warm water, and use a toothbrush for cleaning.

If it's only dust at the bottom, and there's no evident source, you can clean it off with a brush.

Cheers guys. So its corrosion. I cant see corrosion anywhere under my bonnet to that white deposit effect. My terminals have been cleaned and greased fairly recent. No idea where its come from. I'll try wiping it off anyway. 

No biggy then !

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Cheers guys. So its corrosion. I cant see corrosion anywhere under my bonnet to that white deposit effect. My terminals have been cleaned and greased fairly recent. No idea where its come from. I'll try wiping it off anyway. 

No biggy then !

Could it be left from previous old Battery. You can clean carefully and monitor if happens again may be a sign of cracks in your new Battery and if it’s the case hopefully not you need to replace the Battery again. 

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Could it be left from previous old battery. You can clean carefully and monitor if happens again may be a sign of cracks in your new battery and if it’s the case hopefully not you need to replace the battery again. 

Hmm cracked Battery. Bought it from euro car parts. Interesting how I happen to be outside them!!!

7 hours ago, Stivino said:

If it's anything like this stuff, it's nothing to worry about.  It just needs to be cleaned off.

Don't grease your battery terminals, use vaseline.

Definitely not like that stuff. Who would even allow terminals to get to that state! 

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hmm cracked battery. Bought it from euro car parts. Interesting how I happen to be outside them!!!

Been in the trade for many years, Battery use to be one of the items that got damaged easily, just dropped while in transit or of the shelves, normal occurrence, good thing is that Eurocarparts are aware of these thing happens and likely to exchange if you push them. As long as there is no visible damage to put the blame on you. Sometimes micro cracks won’t be noted before the Battery got use in the car as when in storage chemical reactions are king of standby. , when Battery is loaded to crank the engine or been charged by the alternator battery is alive and can bleed some acid. Just my theory in case the white stuff comes back. 👍