Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction

Satsuki

4 hours ago, CPN said:

What was your Odometer reading Nigel?

Just over 2k miles. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W1P30UT said:

Just over 2k miles. 

Ok, that's Michele in Italy showing 5,898 miles (9492Km)

The OP (Farzad) is showing 2,023 miles

...and now Nigel at 2,000+ miles

New diagnosis from Toyota service: the blockage may have been caused by traces of chlorine in the petrol!! Water!!? In this case the intervention is the responsibility of the user, around 1500 euros (1289.49 GBP) because it isn't included in the ordinary maintenance. First of all, I don't believe in this cause; if it were true, it would mean that the car is really dangerous!! I believe that traces of water can be found everywhere, which means that it is a vulnerable vehicle. It could happen again! I don't have a chlorine or water molecule detector available every time I fill my tank! All this makes me anxious and distressed.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, MicheleScafuro said:

New diagnosis from Toyota service: the blockage may have been caused by traces of chlorine in the petrol!! Water!!? In this case the intervention is the responsibility of the user, around 1500 euros (1289.49 GBP) because it isn't included in the ordinary maintenance. First of all, I don't believe in this cause; if it were true, it would mean that the car is really dangerous!! I believe that traces of water can be found everywhere, which means that it is a vulnerable vehicle. It could happen again! I don't have a chlorine or water molecule detector available every time I fill my tank! All this makes me anxious and distressed.

Are they saying the fuel was contaminated or that water had got into the petrol tank?

Also,  did they make you pay for it?

I'm not sure i go along with their diagnosis, Ok, we've had a few contaminate fuel issues in my town recently, but i can't see why so many users have been affected by the same issue - unless yours was indeed caused by contaminated fuel and other owners have been caused by something else?

1 hour ago, Mikw said:

Are they saying the fuel was contaminated or that water had got into the petrol tank?

Also,  did they make you pay for it?

I'm not sure i go along with their diagnosis, Ok, we've had a few contaminate fuel issues in my town recently, but i can't see why so many users have been affected by the same issue - unless yours was indeed caused by contaminated fuel and other owners have been caused by something else?

They said that in the fuel they found traces of chlorine, I deduce due to traces of water! In all the city water there is always chlorine! And I am sure that some droplets of water can infiltrate at any petrol station. Personally, I absolutely don't believe in this diagnosis. In any case, I see today that the car is not equipped with any warning lights that possibly indicate the presence of water in the tank and... yes! They say I have to pay! LOL 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MicheleScafuro said:

New diagnosis from Toyota service: the blockage may have been caused by traces of chlorine in the petrol!! Water!!? In this case the intervention is the responsibility of the user, around 1500 euros (1289.49 GBP) because it isn't included in the ordinary maintenance.

Has the issue been raised with your country's Toyota importer or is this just your dealer?

It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that wherever you filled up last, had contaminated fuel, and if the diagnosis is correct, repairs wouldn't be covered under the warranty - which covers for manufacturing defects. 

Have there been any other instances of problems in the area where you last filled up? If so you could claim off the filling station's public liability insurance.

11 hours ago, MicheleScafuro said:

They said that in the fuel they found traces of chlorine, I deduce due to traces of water! In all the city water there is always chlorine! And I am sure that some droplets of water can infiltrate at any petrol station. Personally, I absolutely don't believe in this diagnosis. In any case, I see today that the car is not equipped with any warning lights that possibly indicate the presence of water in the tank and... yes! They say I have to pay! LOL 

While the fuel may be contiminated, I struggle to see the association with the error reports.

• Radar system malfunction
  • ABS break malfunction
  • Pre-collision system malfunction
  • Power steering malfunction

Cars should be designed to cope with some water in the fuel (it's near on impossible to avoid), and usually have a filter for this. I would envisage an engine stall, but not radar system, ABS malfunction etc etc etc...

• Like 2

Ethanol in fuel has been widely used in Europe for a long time, Ethanol is hygroscopic

This doesn't sound right to me either, I would be asking for a senior tech from Toyota Europe to look at the car, as it sounds more like a power failure to me, the fuel problem maybe 1 issue, I would also ask for the lab report for the fuel, the sample they took could have been contaminated by the container they used

14 hours ago, MicheleScafuro said:

That's the most ridiculous analysis I have ever heard of; given the symptoms and indicator lights! If it were me, I would escalate the issue higher up in Toyota Europe! Sounds to me like they've just cleared all the fault lights and given you the car back!

• Like 2

after six days, up to now, the only hypothesis of diagnosis by the Toyota Service on the car's tilt is: residual traces of chlorine! No other news LOL 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 12:28 AM, MicheleScafuro said:

On 6/9/2021 at 1:49 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Has the issue been raised with your country's Toyota importer or is this just your dealer?

It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that wherever you filled up last, had contaminated fuel, and if the diagnosis is correct, repairs wouldn't be covered under the warranty - which covers for manufacturing defects. 

Have there been any other instances of problems in the area where you last filled up? If so you could claim off the filling station's public liability insurance.

I asked the distributor where I refueled the last few times (two tanked) if they had any problems with someone else. They said no. As I can see, they deliver hundreds of cars per hour. They also showed me the certificate of conformity of the fuel they distribute and that the plant has a period control system that is also certified! So I apologized and left

10 minutes ago, MicheleScafuro said:

I asked the distributor where I refueled the last few times (two tanked) if they had any problems with someone else. They said no. As I can see, they deliver hundreds of cars per hour. They also showed me the certificate of conformity of the fuel they distribute and that the plant has a period control system that is also certified! So I apologized and left

The hybrid system malfunction most likely can be as a result of failure on the electric part of the hybrid drivetrain, ev motors , Battery, inverter. If your car internal combustion engine turns over and is running it’s fine even if bad fuel been supplied to it will eventually trigger engine management light and store a fault code, something with poor fuel mixture, misfire, etc. Once the bad fuel is consumed and better one filled up the car will return to normal operation. The hybrid system malfunction can also be caused by the ice when you left the car without any fuel or the engine refused to start for whatever reason is (electrical, hydro lock)..How the ecu can find out that the fuel is contaminated and stop the fuel pump for example is beyond explanation. These cars does not run a chemical tests on the fuel before injecting in into the cylinders., fill with diesel , water or alcohol and the car will still try to start and self destroy. These guys are clearly ripping you off asking for money on a brand new car with warranty. 

• Like 2

Just joining into the threat. Picked my Launch Edition up today, so will keep a look out around 2K miles

Regards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ic2 said:

Just joining into the threat. Picked my Launch Edition up today, so will keep a look out around 2K miles

Regards

Hope it goes ok for you.

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

Hope it goes ok for you.

Thanks, so do I 😀

So, an update on my sorry situation. The car has been with the garage over two weeks, and they need another three weeks for a part to arrive. They've provided another Yaris as a replacement. The car has had someone come from technical head quarters. Not really what I expected when I purchased a new car 5 weeks off the road, particularly a Toyota.

• Sad 1

Do you know what they are waiting on ?? ecu ? New Inverter ?, this is the problem with newly released cars, the customers are the test Guinea pigs ironing the flaws out of the car, it must be an issue if they have a HQ tech on the car

I'm sure a TSB will be released

It's a data comms Module (DCM) issue TSB issued 11/06/2021 BE-00495T-TME

DCM - is the e-call and connected car module

edit. This module is on the Can Bus so if it locks up or the EEPROM fails it can potentially kill the whole car, this device can control anything on the Can network

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

edit. This module is on the Can Bus so if it locks up or the EEPROM fails it can potentially kill the whole car, this device can control anything on the Can network

Thanks, this makes sense with the multitude of error messages I saw. 

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

So, at least now we know how the car is sending mileage, fuel and trip data back to the MyT App...

As discussed in the other thread - yes the 3 aerials are 2x gsm and 1 gps tied into the HU via the second USB and into the car over Can Bus, in theory you could take control of any module, if the module fails it's going to dump packets down the can and the car will freak out

i have some more info but not read it all yet

• Like 2

Although my car has been in the garage for nearly three weeks, and won't be with me for at least another two, I got a recall notice today.

Yaris Hybrid Skid Control ECU Reprogramming WGG20

Due to an inappropriate version of the software installe in the Skid Control ECU which montors and controls various functions related to brake system, the ECU may not complete all of its processing tasks. If this were to occur, multiple warning lights will illuminate on the vehicles instrument panel and the electronic parking brake will become inoperative.

• Like 1

Yep I've just had that recall notice as well today....am busy trying to talk to my local dealer (and Toyota customer care via the tel.No given on the recall notice) to try and find out whether this recall will address the DCM fault mentioned in another forum post ..... so far no joy!!😒😴

14 minutes ago, AlfK said:

Yep I've just had that recall notice as well today....am busy trying to talk to my local dealer (and Toyota customer care via the tel.No given on the recall notice) to try and find out whether this recall will address the DCM fault mentioned in another forum post ..... so far no joy!!😒😴

I understand the problem with my car is much more complex than this. I saw the car during the week, and dashboard interals are all over the place. Doesn't fill me with much confidence. Three weeks off the road, another two to go at the earliest.

Just got this back from my local dealer's service department....

"Afternoon, so Rich our tech has pulled the info, as I suspected, the TSB isn’t a “recall” instead a procedure/update to follow which is a software update, should, a vehicle have certain symptoms,

That said, the update can be carried out proactively. So, if you would like us to do it, I can add it to the job on the 30th?

We shouldn’t have a problem completing the work any later than 5pm, many thanks"

Which is great news so I will get the Skid Control and the DCM problems sorted at the same time. All I can suggest to everyone else is, be assertive with your local dealer! 😀

• Like 1