Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction

Satsuki

5 minutes ago, W1P30UT said:

I understand the problem with my car is much more complex than this. I saw the car during the week, and dashboard interals are all over the place. Doesn't fill me with much confidence. Three weeks off the road, another two to go at the earliest.

Might I tentatively suggest that they may have been a bit hasty in ripping things apart when all they had to really do was trawl through all the TSBs instead? (see my previous post)

33 minutes ago, CPN said:

Might I tentatively suggest that they may have been a bit hasty in ripping things apart when all they had to really do was trawl through all the TSBs instead? (see my previous post)

It's had Toyota HQ Technicians trawling all over it. It's an actual part failure, not just an update, although very similar.

The DCM is very much buried in the dash - according to service data if it has B15A804 (eeprom failure) it's a case of replacement

If im reading the information correctly, the DCM is capable of turning off the car remotely among other things

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W1P30UT said:

It's had Toyota HQ Technicians trawling all over it. It's an actual part failure, not just an update, although very similar.

Ah ok, I guess it's a bit more obscure then...

3 minutes ago, CPN said:

Ah ok, I guess it's a bit more obscure then...

Any device on the CAN network if faulty can take the network down, scope the can bus lines, disconnect can devices one at a time, the DTC's should pinpoint to a few modules

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

Any device on the CAN network if faulty can take the network down, scope the can bus lines, disconnect can devices one at a time, the DTC's should pinpoint to a few modules

In that case, it strikes me that the CANBUS network is a pretty fragile/vulnerable thing! (unlike all the kind of Networks I've been managing/dealing with in my previous working life)

Like any network it can handle a certain amount of errors, if you flood it its going to fall flat on its face.

CAN bus is a Multi master serial bus on a twisted pair

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Like any network it can handle a certain amount of errors, if you flood it its going to fall flat on its face.

CAN bus is a Multi master serial bus on a twisted pair

Indeed and of course (unless things have changed radically over the years) the electrical/electronics environment within a motor vehicle tends to be notoriously unfriendly and "noisy" at best...

I remember with coaxial Ethernet, network devices had something called a jabber control module, which disconnected them if it detected they were spewing random crap onto the shared line - Maybe they should add that to the CANbus spec!

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I remember with coaxial Ethernet, network devices had something called a jabber control module, which disconnected them if it detected they were spewing random crap onto the shared line - Maybe they should add that to the CANbus spec!

Wow! That's going back a bit! lol! However, you make a valid point!

• Like 1

Hi, I got the Skid Control recall letter today - campaign WGG20 and booked it into my local dealer but if I am reading the forums right there might be another issue re a DCM?  I  am not technical at all and the last page has totally confused me so whilst the car is in the garage (they want it for the day) what should I be asking the garage to update/look at apart from the skid control. I've done less than 500 miles and not experienced any issues but I am anxious about the car failing and I am going on a long motorway journey week after next. Thanks

1 hour ago, Kim 123 said:

Hi, I got the Skid Control recall letter today - campaign WGG20 and booked it into my local dealer but if I am reading the forums right there might be another issue re a DCM?  I  am not technical at all and the last page has totally confused me so whilst the car is in the garage (they want it for the day) what should I be asking the garage to update/look at apart from the skid control. I've done less than 500 miles and not experienced any issues but I am anxious about the car failing and I am going on a long motorway journey week after next. Thanks

This what I emailed (part) to my dealer...

------------------------------------

"It's a data comms Module (DCM) issue TSB issued 11/06/2021 BE-00495T-TME

DCM - is the e-call and connected car module

This module is on the Can Bus so if it locks up or the EEPROM fails it can potentially kill the whole car, this device can control anything on the Can network

The TSB is for the gen4 Yaris - if you read my post, it lists the DTC's the link lists the DTC and their criteria, they are OBD2 codes but are Toyota specific. e.g. B15C4** the last 2 digits is the actual error

The dealer will have access to it on Euro 5/6 through the portal

A Brief description is..........................

19 Data Communication Module, Multiple issues (DTC B15C464, DTC B15A804 & ROB 2210)"

---------------------------------------

Although it is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) as opposed to a recall, it had the desired effect and, since it can be applied proactively along with the software update involved with the actual recall, my dealer has agreed to add it to the to-do list for when my car goes in on the 30th.

Hope this helps,

• Like 1

Thank you, I just spoke to the dealership.  I can't say they inspired me with confidence but I think they eventually agreed to check but they kept saying if I have not had a problem they can't check it.  I did mention Id prefer a known potential issue to be addressed before I ended up losing control of the car out on the road.

Edited by Kim 123
more detail added

Got my Yaris booked in next week for them to look at the RSA not saving my settings after I restart the car , have also had the recall for the ECU, going to mention the DCM issue are there any others I should ask about.

Would rather get them all done at same time to save having to keep going dealership 

The DCM is a TSB not a recall, unless you have the issue it will not get done

53 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The DCM is a TSB not a recall, unless you have the issue it will not get done

Well another member has said otherwise  doing his even though no issue so looks like it’s up to the dealership 

26 minutes ago, Steve I said:

Well another member has said otherwise  doing his even though no issue so looks like it’s up to the dealership 

Usually, the general public have no interest in the technical side,

A case of. If it ain't broke, Don't fix it

3 hours ago, Kim 123 said:

Thank you, I just spoke to the dealership.  I can't say they inspired me with confidence but I think they eventually agreed to check but they kept saying if I have not had a problem they can't check it.  I did mention Id prefer a known potential issue to be addressed before I ended up losing control of the car out on the road.

That's exactly how I (verbally) approached it and it seemed to have the desired effect.

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

A case of. If it ain't broke, Don't fix it

Ordinarily, I would completely agree with that sentiment Bob but I feel that in this case, where there is potential for a catastrophic event to occur if it randomly happened (think smart motorway) in dense fast flowing traffic, then I feel that the proactive approach should outweigh the normal approach to applying a TSB... (just my opinion fwiw)

1 hour ago, Steve I said:

Well another member has said otherwise doing his even though no issue so looks like it’s up to the dealership 

I think it is going to depend a lot on your personal relationship with your local Toyota dealer. I've been lucky enough to have a great relationship with mine who are very considerate and receptive to an alternate point of view. They also know me as a bit of a techie nerd in how I treat and look after my cars and are ok with that also.

Damnit why do all the good Toyota dealers seem to be up north!!

When I wanted my local to apply a TSB to my Mk2 they flat out refused and said if I had a problem they'd have to do a diagnostic first. I didn't want that because I knew they'd not find anything and charge me £135 for the privilege of doing nothing (Given they previously failed to diagnose a gearbox issue which later resulted in a gearbox failure didn't really give me any confidence in their diagnostic skills either...).

Tried my next closest local and they gave a similar spiel, but I tried e-mailing their head office, and they just booked it in as a job for £70 and problem solved! :laugh:

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 6:30 PM, CPN said:

On 6/17/2021 at 6:30 PM, CPN said:

Edited by Nixy
Newbie mistake

I have had the same lights and warning show yesterday in Greece. The car, bought new on the 27th of January 2021 with 1900km from New, was transported to the dealership and I await their diagnosis on Monday. On the phone I was told that they had never came across this problem before!! Will keep you posted. By the way has anyone resolved this problem? Is so please share URGENTLY Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Nixy said:

I have had the same lights and warning show yesterday in Greece. The car, bought new on the 27th of January 2021 with 1900km from New, was transported to the dealership and I await their diagnosis on Monday. On the phone I was told that they had never came across this problem before!! Will keep you posted. By the way has anyone resolved this problem? Is so please share URGENTLY Thank you. 

After three weeks, I am still waiting for the return of my car! Good luck.

At least did they offer a car replacement? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links