Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction

Satsuki

4 hours ago, W1P30UT said:

After three weeks, I am still waiting for the return of my car! Good luck.

At the very least did they offer a car replacement? 

22 hours ago, Nixy said:

At the very least did they offer a car replacement? 

That depends on you what you mean by replacement. 

It took five days to get a courtesy car. I was repeatedly told by the service department they had none. 

Replacing a car which is unroadworthy with a new model, no. They've decided to repair. If it fails again and is unroadworthy and dangerous, I am going to get my solicitor involved and reject it. 

14 hours ago, W1P30UT said:

That depends on you what you mean by replacement. 

It took five days to get a courtesy car. I was repeatedly told by the service department they had none. 

Replacing a car which is unroadworthy with a new model, no. They've decided to repair. If it fails again and is unroadworthy and dangerous, I am going to get my solicitor involved and reject it. 

Sorry, I meant courtesy car. Be it that today is a holiday here, the dealer will start checking the car from tomorrow. Keep u posted on progress. 

• Like 1

Car should be fixed and ready between 6 and 8 July. Three parts went belly up one of the EGR valve, that was out of stock in Greece and had to be ordered from Toyota Belgium. Will report back when all is well and I get the car back. Stay tuned. 

• Thanks 1

My car is back. They replaced the ECU. Nearly four weeks off the road. Had to beg for a courtesy car. Car returned with a significant scratch, they deny is there responsibility. Disappointing, new car ownership,  would be an understatement. 

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, W1P30UT said:

My car is back. They replaced the ECU. Nearly four weeks off the road. Had to beg for a courtesy car. Car returned with a significant scratch, they deny is there responsibility. Disappointing, new car ownership,  would be an understatement. 

Glad you got it back, blooming annoying about the scrath which would cost them hardly anything to put right.

Let us know how you get on with the car.

3 hours ago, W1P30UT said:

That is absolutely disgusting!

Complain to the head office of the franchise and to Toyota GB directly with pictures of the scratch - It is absolutely unacceptable that they even try to deny any responsibility given it happened while the car was in their possession!

I have to say the biggest low-point of my experience of buying a new car has also been the dealer - It's lucky the car is so awesome otherwise I'd be full of buyers' remorse!

Reading about this sort of experience gets me really anxious; It makes me worried about what would happen with me if I was in a similar situation, as my local dealer is also more interested in covering their behinds than with doing the right thing!

My car was in at the dealers today. Managed to get both updates done; the recall and the TSB...

353728026_YarisRecallTSBsmall.thumb.jpg.1f4850b8f986812bf5725ce65b076b15.jpg

I feel just a bit safer now! 🙂

• Like 3

If they have an update there must be an issue

Huh, isn't the 1KR-FE the Aygo engine?? I would love to know what the changelog for that firmware update is

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Huh, isn't the 1KR-FE the Aygo engine?? I would love to know what the changelog for that firmware update is

1. The 1KR-FE 1.0L 3cyl is also used in the non-hybrid version of the Yaris that is not sold in the UK 2. Wouldn't we all!! 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, flash22 said:

If they have an update there must be an issue

I don't quite get your meaning Bob?

3 hours ago, CPN said:

My car was in at the dealers today. Managed to get both updates done; the recall and the TSB...

353728026_YarisRecallTSBsmall.thumb.jpg.1f4850b8f986812bf5725ce65b076b15.jpg

I feel just a bit safer now! 🙂

A relief for you there then.

I had the anti-skid reprogramming recall done yesterday, but not the other one yet.

Presumably if it can fixed with an update then a recall notice will be issued shortly, cheaper for them than 3 weeks of labour to remove the Data module and replace it.

4 hours ago, Mikw said:

Presumably if it can fixed with an update then a recall notice will be issued shortly, cheaper for them than 3 weeks of labour to remove the Data module and replace it.

You would think so! Trouble is that a TSB is not the same level as a full recall. TSBs are only applied as a fix to a known (none threatening - safety wise) issue. I've just been lucky in that my dealer agreed with my concerns and proactively applied it while it was in for the recall...

• Thanks 1

The Gen 4 comes with 3 different engines, 1KR-FE, M15A-FXE (hybrid) and the M15A-F**

The UK only gets the Hybrid version

Colin - I meant they would not issue a TSB and update for the DCM If there wasn't a known issue

The change log will be an internal Continental document, the TSB may give you some information tho

• Like 1

I am considering upgrading to a 2020 4th Gen Yaris Hybrid.

Want to be sure that the hybrid system malfunction would be resolved for any contender prior to purchase.

So is the fix to replace the ECU or just reprogram?

Edit: ah, sorry I'm a novice when it comes to the deep technical stuff, just re-read. So the reprogramming is for the anti-skid issue, ECU replacement is for the hybrid malfunction issue?

Want to ensure that whatever proper fix to solve all issues is done!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exim said:

Edit: ah, sorry I'm a novice when it comes to the deep technical stuff, just re-read. So the reprogramming is for the anti-skid issue, ECU replacement is for the hybrid malfunction issue?

Want to ensure that whatever proper fix to solve all issues is done!

Re-read my post above again.... They are both fixed by updates (one is the recall and the other is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin).

OK thank you. I got confused with some posts about replacement units.

If you get a new one it should already be fixed; IIRC cars made in may onwards are unaffected...?

If you're getting one off a dealer forecourt, then definitely check - It'll also be a good test of how good their servicing department are.

Mine weren't even aware of the issue when I asked...

I called a dealer about a used 2020 4th gen. The sales person said it would be fixed as part of preparations prior to hand over, but of course they will say anything. Not sure if they really were aware of the issue or just playing along.

On 6/28/2021 at 6:31 AM, Nixy said:

Car should be fixed and ready between 6 and 8 July. Three parts went belly up one of the EGR valve, that was out of stock in Greece and had to be ordered from Toyota Belgium. Will report back when all is well and I get the car back. Stay tuned. 

Finally got the car back. So far so good. Problem was that due to insufficient durability the EGR cooler developed an internal leak which in turn created smouldering deposits inside the cooler and the intake manifold and got the EGR valve stuck. All 3 parts were changed. The annoying thing is that exactly the same damaged parts were subject of recall and for the 2015 to 2018 model years, auris, avensis rav4 and verso cars.. Why this happened again to my car? Why is it that the dodgy pars weren't eliminated then? 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nixy said:

The annoying thing is that exactly the same damaged parts were subject of recall and for the 2015 to 2018 model years, auris, avensis rav4 and verso cars.. Why this happened again to my car? Why is it that the dodgy pars weren't eliminated then? 

Whilst your car had a faulty EGR cooler it is in no way related to the 1WW/2WW BMW diesel engine affected in he cars above

12 hours ago, Nixy said:

Finally got the car back. So far so good. Problem was that due to insufficient durability the EGR cooler developed an internal leak which in turn created smouldering deposits inside the cooler and the intake manifold and got the EGR valve stuck. All 3 parts were changed. The annoying thing is that exactly the same damaged parts were subject of recall and for the 2015 to 2018 model years, auris, avensis rav4 and verso cars.. Why this happened again to my car? Why is it that the dodgy pars weren't eliminated then? 

Glad you got your car back.

Can you hear the EGR cooler while the car is operating? I'm only asking because my car used to have a fan style noise that would stay on for a few seconds after shutting the car down, but that noise has stopped recently

On 7/10/2021 at 10:56 AM, Nixy said:

Finally got the car back. So far so good. Problem was that due to insufficient durability the EGR cooler developed an internal leak which in turn created smouldering deposits inside the cooler and the intake manifold and got the EGR valve stuck. All 3 parts were changed.

Did you pay for the fix or the parts were changed within warranty ?

17 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Whilst your car had a faulty EGR cooler it is in no way related to the 1WW/2WW BMW diesel engine affected in he cars above

Ι am only referring to Toyota cars. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links