Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction

Satsuki

3 hours ago, Nixy said:

Hi. I have lately noticed that my 2020 yaris HSD tramlines when hitting bumps on the street. It may be the tyre pressure, I run them just a bit above recommended. Or it could be the suspension of the car? Or the shocks? Any similar experiences or useful comments? Thanks. 

Whenever the car 'tramlines', 99% of the time it's the LTA, which turns on every time you start the car. A lot of people dislike it and always hold down the button for 5 seconds to disable it, but as I am constantly (ab)using the cruise control and steer assist I just put up with it!

5 hours ago, W1P30UT said:

Crickey! I’ve had both these issues, amongst others, causing my car to fail. I’ve just rejected it, and awaiting a replacement Yaris. The failure of the eCall and microphone was the final straw. Hopefully the replacement won’t be so problematic! 🙏 

So what were the issues exactly? The descriptions don't really help me! :laugh: 

I've not had to use the Ecall yet (And god willing never will!!) and I've never gotten it to skid either (The TCS and ESP work really well in this car! :naughty: )

• Like 1

It's not the steering assist. It happens when I hit bumps or small potholes  not crossing white lines. Maybe a more accurate description of it is " the car shimmies". I have now raised the pressure by. 2 atm all around, and I believe it is much better. 

Edited by Nixy
More accurate description.

Did you have reprogrammed the ECU ?

WGG20 - TMMF Yaris HV Skid Control ECU Reprogramming 

21 hours ago, RickyC said:

Did you have reprogrammed the ECU ?

WGG20 - TMMF Yaris HV Skid Control ECU Reprogramming 

Yes I did. 

On 9/22/2021 at 7:42 PM, Cyker said:

Whenever the car 'tramlines', 99% of the time it's the LTA, which turns on every time you start the car. A lot of people dislike it and always hold down the button for 5 seconds to disable it, but as I am constantly (ab)using the cruise control and steer assist I just put up with it!

I am still waiting for my Yaris IV, but I've been working through the users manual, available from the Toyota UK website :

Yaris Owner's Manual

The LTA system is discussed starting at p. 220. 

This can be customised at start up. Further in the manual at page 436.

The following features can be customised:

• Lane Centring Function : On/Off
  • Alert Type : Buzzer/Steering wheel vibration
  • Alert Sensitivity : High/Standard
  • Vehicle Sway Warning : On/Off
  • Vehicle Sway Warning Sensitivity : High/Standard/Low

Wouldn't turning off Lane Centring and/or Vehicle Sway Warning mitigate all, or some of, the intrusive warnings ?

LTA customisation.png

Edited by Stopeter44
Extra detail

Turning it off would indeed disable the warnings; The issue is you have to disable it every time you turn the car on (Admittedly I haven't tried disabling it via the menus, only by holding the button, but in that case it did turn back on when I next started the car up!)

43 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yes, the manual clearly states, normally, the LTA turns on with the Power button (p. 220), but the customisation menu suggests that the feature can be "permanently" disabled.

My suggestion is to leave all safety features on at all times. I find them very useful especially driving on a motorway. It makes the whole experience much more relaxing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just read in the press about a toyota faulty e call recall, affecting the yaris, rav4, corolla and lexus from July 2020 to April 2021. Awaiting official letter from toyota Greece. Stand by for more information as available. 

• Thanks 1

My Aug/Sep 2020 build is going in for its first service tomorrow and the list of work includes this recall top of the list (which surprised me since, at the time of booking, they hadn't received full details on it yet...).

In the UK the e-call recall is currently running - see the first of the list of recalls on the following: https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker

UK owners can use the recall checker to determine whether their car is affected.

Also in the UK, DVSA used to announce recalls when the manufacturers had repair schedules, etc in place. This is no longer the case, and recalls are announced as soon as recall action is decided upon, and sometimes before manufacturers have parts, etc in place to remedy the issue.

I've just had this issue occur to me yesterday. I was speeding up to 70 on a dual carriageway and suddenly felt a jolt, lost power and a ping of multitude of errors (The exact same ones as the original post.) I had to pull over onto the hard shoulder and turn off and back on again and it seemed to drive home fine, just with the Hybrid malfunction error showing. I've had both recalls done, the first one being the seatbelt and the second one being a software issue that was done in July. I've brought my service forward that's due this month & they're going to do diagnostics on top on Thursday, so i'll see what they find out then. For now, I think it's fine to drive until then, but it's made me worried.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, SlippinJimmy said:

I've just had this issue occur to me yesterday. I was speeding up to 70 on a dual carriageway and suddenly felt a jolt, lost power and a ping of multitude of errors (The exact same ones as the original post.) I had to pull over onto the hard shoulder and turn off and back on again and it seemed to drive home fine, just with the Hybrid malfunction error showing. I've had both recalls done, the first one being the seatbelt and the second one being a software issue that was done in July. I've brought my service forward that's due this month & they're going to do diagnostics on top on Thursday, so i'll see what they find out then. For now, I think it's fine to drive until then, but it's made me worried.

How concerning! While this sounds similar to the original issue, it is different in that turning off and on again resolves the issue. This wasn't the case with mine as it was with the garage for four weeks. I had other issues and have now rejected the car, and have agreed a new replacement Yaris.

• Like 1

But what issue they found on your Yaris ? Did they find a reason for the malfunction ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RickyC said:

But what issue they found on your Yaris ? Did they find a reason for the malfunction ?

(WGG20) recall for the Skid Control ECU fixed mine after four weeks in the garage. Mine was an early car to show the problem.  

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 10:47 AM, CPN said:

My Aug/Sep 2020 build is going in for its first service tomorrow and the list of work includes this recall top of the list (which surprised me since, at the time of booking, they hadn't received full details on it yet...).

First service done and guess what? Right! They hadn't received the recall remedy information yet so it was not done! 🙃

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, W1P30UT said:

(WGG20) recall for the Skid Control ECU fixed mine after four weeks in the garage. Mine was an early car to show the problem.  

Had that one done a few months ago, is this supposed to stop the Hybrid system malfuntion happening?

On 9/29/2021 at 10:56 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

DVSA used to announce recalls when the manufacturers had repair schedules, etc in place. This is no longer the case, and recalls are announced as soon as recall action is decided upon, and sometimes before manufacturers have parts, etc in place to remedy the issue

3 hours ago, CPN said:

First service done and guess what? Right! They hadn't received the recall remedy information yet so it was not done! 🙃

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, W1P30UT said:

@SlippinJimmysays that he has update the ECU firmware but this has not saved him from the issue.  Probably the cause is something else.   

Is there some new bug hiding in the shadows 😉?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, RickyC said:

@SlippinJimmysays that he has update the ECU firmware but this has not saved him from the issue.  Probably the cause is something else.   

Is there some new bug hiding in the shadows 😉?

I’ve had nothing but trouble with my new Yaris. I’ve rejected it and I am waiting on a new one to be built. Currently I am driving it with the communication module failing and no microphone having given up with the dealer trying to fix it. 

Starting to wish I had swapped it then for a Renault Zoe. It can be as unreliable as this Yaris?

• Sad 1

On 10/1/2021 at 10:37 PM, Mikw said:

Had that one done a few months ago, is this supposed to stop the Hybrid system malfuntion happening?

No, That is just the ABS  and is unrelated

The malfunction is either mechanical (damper plate) or it's a DCM issue, 1st DCM update was a TSB this second one looks to be a recall

• Like 2

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

No, That is just the ABS  and is unrelated

The malfunction is either mechanical (damper plate) or it's a DCM issue, 1st DCM update was a TSB this second one looks to be a recall

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I love my car, it's brilliant, but rather paranoid about the hybrid system malfunction happening, i want to get it sorted before it does. I've had the ABS recall, but nothing else yet.

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 9:15 AM, SlippinJimmy said:

Mine has done exactly this today. 
Accelerating away from a junction, engine revs suddenly rapidly rise as if a clutch has started slipping and then a loss of power and multiple fail messages in the cluster. 
Now has a permanent message Hybrid system malfunction. 
Mine has done just over 5k miles, purchased new in June 2021. 
Booked in for investigation next week. 

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, vanilla.coffee said:

Mine has done exactly this today. 
Accelerating away from a junction, engine revs suddenly rapidly rise as if a clutch has started slipping and then a loss of power and multiple fail messages in the cluster. 
Now has a permanent message Hybrid system malfunction. 
Mine has done just over 5k miles, purchased new in June 2021. 
Booked in for investigation next week. 

Further research suggests this might be a ‘hybrid damper’ a known fault in Australia and Japan which is a recall event but for some reason Toyota GB will not issue a recall here. 
the damper, flywheel and clutch are replaced as part of a repair kit. 
I was able to reproduce this again today. Maybe this should have its own thread. Apologies if I’ve hijacked this one. 
Mods can you split this please ? 

• Like 1

all you guys with this problem need to get in touch with Toyota UK. Notify you dealer first then to |Toyota UK. Those who have not had the problem should, IMO, contact Toyota UK to express concern in what you have heard.

Only my opinions but thats what I would be doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links