Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction

Satsuki

10 hours ago, Nixy said:

I believe today's vauxhall / opel are pretty reliable. Corsa is number one in UK sales, if not mistaken. 

Not if you are in the motor trade there not, utter s**te 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Nixy said:

I believe today's vauxhall / opel are pretty reliable. Corsa is number one in UK sales, if not mistaken. 

You are. The Qashqai was the best seller in the UK for 2022. The Corsa was best seller in February 2023 - one month.

Sales figures bear no relation to reliability.

• Like 5

Interesting read on the damper issues but as I don't know the numbers involved I can only read with interest and learn.

I have only recently sold my Mondeo ST TDCi which I had owned from new which had done 160K miles without a single issue outside of normal maintenance & servicing so would have to class reliabilty as very high and not in line with the peak autos guy take on Fords so that's good for me I guess.

I have never owned a Vauxhaul and dont think I have known anyone who has I guess the Manta would have been popular back in the day for some.

Lets hope Toyota can move up the table maybe No 4 then onwards and upwards

• Like 3

Speak of the devil. I use to own a 1900cc, manual, VX Manta, red with a black vinil roof, that worked like a dream! Drove it 3 to 4 times London to Geneva and back with no problems whatsoever. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Nixy said:

I use to own a 1900cc, manual, VX Manta,

That's back in the day before they used ECU's, BCM's, sensors, coil packs, slave cylinders inside the gearbox and other joyous things that  if when they go wrong they can be a pain to diagnose and cost a fortune to fix.

Take the smart idea of putting the ECU in trough under the wipers with 3 small drain holes which block leaving the ECU sat in a water bath, this is what happens - 

• Like 2

Lets be honest, nobody buys a Vauxhall (or Ford/Peugeot/Citreon etc.) for their reliability. People buy them because they're good value for money for what you get, generally comfy, cheap to buy, insure, repair etc. All marques have their strengths and weaknesses.

Given how I drive, I should be getting the hybrid system malfunction/damper issue every time I pull away from the lights :naughty: :laugh: , so there must be other factors that trigger it. For instance, my one triggered under deceleration after I blasted past someone on a B-road and had lifted off to drop back to cruising speed.

I like to hoon it round back roads on the weekend as the car has such nice handling and it just a lot of fun to drive (And it also helps me understand the limits of the car; The stiffer chassis and lower CoG vs the previous Yarisusesiees improves its handling significantly, but the hefty increase in weight tempers that a fair amount too!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The truth is that Toyota Yaris and Yaris cross particularly some specific builds does have damper issues. And not necessarily been as a result of something else. Those as a result of something else including a software glitch continue to work after been restarted if  “hybrid system malfunction” event happens, but some like in this case now could be purely because of a damper defect.
I like Toyota cars but when something it’s not right it’s not right and it’s obvious why people are trying to deny it’s beyond me. 

I believe it must be the “clutch” damper that has been burned out by it being forced against the brakes.  She said the engine was revving and not getting far.   As for whether it’s right or not, I spent years investigating warranty claims in my vehicle development days and you learn not to jump to conclusions.  To start with, we’re getting the story second hand and all we think we know is the car is getting a new damper (break away clutch) as result of it letting go in a fight with the brakes.  I don’t know why the brake fault isn’t mentioned but that needs understanding before the damper is fixed.  It might be the dealership knows and that hasn’t been relayed to us and it might be the OP knows but she did something to cause it (knowing or not knowing) or the dealer knows and has addressed it.  Jumping in both feet in typical woke snowflake Facebook lack of understanding and wanting blood and cancelling Toyota is not obvious to me or anyone with an analytical mind.  I’m surprised at you Tony.  

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Hibird said:

Interesting read on the damper issues but as I don't know the numbers involved I can only read with interest and learn.

I have only recently sold my Mondeo ST TDCi which I had owned from new which had done 160K miles without a single issue outside of normal maintenance & servicing so would have to class reliabilty as very high and not in line with the peak autos guy take on Fords so that's good for me I guess.

I have never owned a Vauxhaul and dont think I have known anyone who has I guess the Manta would have been popular back in the day for some.

Lets hope Toyota can move up the table maybe No 4 then onwards and upwards

What damper issues Mike?  There’s just the one isn’t there?

Damper issue resulting on multiple warning lights and DTC code P314779 - Transmission (Shaft) Mechanical Linkage Failure.

Defect

• a manufacturing defect where corrosion inhibitor and friction material bonding agent contaminate of the friction material which lowers the friction coefficient of the damper 

Cause

• Improper manufacturing process / checks during Damper manufacturing allowed and failed to identify unintended contamination of damper friction material.

Contributing factors to failure have been noted as:

• Sudden high torque demand
  • Shock to the drivetrain under med/high torque demand
  • Damp inside bell housing (caused by wading in flood conditions or frequent fording)
  • Surface corrosion on flywheel (a natural condition on untreated/coated surface) usually event on cars with damp present in bell housing (as above) of infrequent usage

Countermeasure

• Improvements at manufacturing plant to ensure no contamination, improved post manufacture check 
  • Damper design change. increased friction thickness/material to better resist drivetrain shock slip
  • Flywheel redesign to suit damper change

In service Failure repair

• Replace Damper/Flywheel as a modified set, Special policy adjustment (SPA) XHG48 noted against pre countermeasure vehicles 
  • Repair covered under warranty up to 10 years/100k with service history
  • SPA XHG48 allows repair up to 9 years regardless of mileage or service history

Production improvement

• Yaris & Yaris X built from September 2021 are counter measured 

Related content

• Campaign 22SMD-092 / Recall XGG60 Yaris only manufactured before 13/112020 Improper ECU programming of Hybrid control ECU combined with DTC P314779 may lose motive power, Reprogramme Hybrid control ECU with updated software to prevent loss of motive power, if P314779 is noted/stored prior to recall carry out repair per XHG48 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Very interesting Lee.  So the handbrake symbol is an effect of the fault code then?  That would be why the dealer is quite relaxed about it.  The mod should cure it and the owner has nothing to worry about.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Very interesting Lee.  So the handbrake symbol is an effect of the fault code then?  That would be why the dealer is quite relaxed about it.  The mod should cure it and the owner has nothing to worry about.  

When P314779 occurs multiple systems report an issue Engine - EML comes on, Brakes - ABS/VSC warning lights, messages including Brake system malfunction, Parking brake failure Tyre pressure monitoring failure & Pre-collision system malfunction messages etc all of this is because the systems are interlinked and a fault in any one will trigger a response in the others indicating their normal function has been impaired, on restart just the hybrid system malfunction message should remain. 

• Like 3

That's what happened with mine; Lots of scary errors cycling on the main dash display of various systems malfunctioning, but when I ITCrowd'd it (i.e. turned it orrf and on again :laugh: ), only the hybrid system malfunction message remained. Car remained totally driveable through all this tho', with full acceleration and speed still available (I checked several times :naughty: ).

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

When P314779 occurs multiple systems report an issue Engine - EML comes on, Brakes - ABS/VSC warning lights, messages including Brake system malfunction, Parking brake failure Tyre pressure monitoring failure & Pre-collision system malfunction messages etc all of this is because the systems are interlinked and a fault in any one will trigger a response in the others indicating their normal function has been impaired, on restart just the hybrid system malfunction message should remain. 

Yeah, the RAVs used to cycle through the warnings in a similar way.  The owner in this case wouldn’t know I guess - she was convinced the brakes were holding it back.  It’s why I won’t jump on the bandwagon with the Toyota hating without knowing the whole story.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, anchorman said:

I believe it must be the “clutch” damper that has been burned out by it being forced against the brakes.  She said the engine was revving and not getting far.   As for whether it’s right or not, I spent years investigating warranty claims in my vehicle development days and you learn not to jump to conclusions.  To start with, we’re getting the story second hand and all we think we know is the car is getting a new damper (break away clutch) as result of it letting go in a fight with the brakes.  I don’t know why the brake fault isn’t mentioned but that needs understanding before the damper is fixed.  It might be the dealership knows and that hasn’t been relayed to us and it might be the OP knows but she did something to cause it (knowing or not knowing) or the dealer knows and has addressed it.  Jumping in both feet in typical woke snowflake Facebook lack of understanding and wanting blood and cancelling Toyota is not obvious to me or anyone with an analytical mind.  I’m surprised at you Tony.  

I haven’t jumped into conclusions Don, 

I had experienced myself this hybrid system malfunction and I did extensive research plus have read each post here and on Prius USA  forum as I was preparing myself to change this clutch, luckily there was no need for me. 
I knew Toyota Yaris some production has these faulty clutches built in and that’s why I make my comments. Driving with parking brake engaged these days almost impossible, first the car will move extremely difficult and then if you manage to drive it will beep so loudly that you will pull over immediately. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 10:30 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Had this on my 21 Reg Yaris Excel which I bought in mid January this year. Driving on the motorway on the 1st March I had multiple system failures, as described, including Hybrid system failure. Limped to work and car was recovered to Marshalls Toyota in Ashford, Kent. Diagnosed as damper system failure. Picked car back up on wed this week as parts were on back order. Have to say that given this is such a known issue, the cause, the vehicles affected and significant safety issues, I am suprised the car I bought (supplied by Stephen Eagle in Watford) was not fixed prior to sale. In Australia and NZ, it appears that the cars affected by this are subject to an urgent safety recall. 

• Like 2

Hi Martin. I can only assume that the car u bought is a late 2020 build. That's when all the teething problems occured. Mine has been recalled many times and had a major breakdown 3 months after I bought it. It took more than a month to fix due to the lack of parts. However, touch wood, it runs OK now. I should have applied the saying to never buy a car the first year of production!

• Like 3

On 3/7/2023 at 6:37 PM, Max_Headroom said:

That's back in the day before they used ECU's, BCM's, sensors, coil packs, slave cylinders inside the gearbox and other joyous things that  if when they go wrong they can be a pain to diagnose and cost a fortune to fix.

Take the smart idea of putting the ECU in trough under the wipers with 3 small drain holes which block leaving the ECU sat in a water bath, this is what happens - 

Exactly what happened to my 2.3 bmw , windscreen rubber seal failed and water got into the ecu which is behind the dash and buggered it up.

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2022 at 1:45 PM, Gerg said:

I'm sure I read somewhere, possibly an early description of the three cylinder engine, translated from the Japanese launch blurb, that the balance shaft removal on the hybrid version would create a vibration problem in a specific rpm band, and that the engine management was designed to avoid that rpm, because it could!  So the problem was 'solved'.

Well, it took a while for general 'churn' in my browsing to cause this link to resurface, a mere six months later.  But here it is, if anyone is still interested... 

Google Translate is essential on this Japanese article!

https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1213555.html#009_l.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Hi Similar happened to me but also the onboard screen has totally failed after the "malfunction' warning. The garage say they have fixed it but it recurs. Does anyone have ideas about this?

• 2 months later...

Hi, Hoping you people can help me....

The problem first described on page one of this has now happened to me twice.  The error clears before I can get to the garage. Last time they just said to ignore it. This time I'm going to take it in as it happened in fast lane of M42 and was a bit scary! My mileage is 32000 and its a 21 reg.  Has anyone got to the bottom of the fault? What should I say when I go in on Wednesday?

• Sad 1

They should not be telling you to ignore it... is there another dealer you could go to who actually care more about their customers?

It's a bit weird if the error clears, as I had to get the errors reset to get the warnings to go away, so may not be the same thing that we've experienced - In our case, there was the Hybrid system malfunction warning and loads of other warnings as the car shuts down most of the safety systems as well just in case.

The common fault for ours was the damper plate slipping - There is a service bulletin code you can quote ( XHG48 ) as mentioned above by DevonAygo for that specific issue, but they likely won't investigate unless the error and codes are showing and logged.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Could be the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve. Just tell them to check that. Still weird that the info on this fault cleared! 

• Thanks 1

Hi, Just an update. My yaris was checked out today by toyota, following the hybrid malfunction warning. Fault found and described as 'damper' to be replaced. Seems a dodgy batch? After a Google they did a recall in new Zealand and Australia but not here when I quizzed them on this they said not many cars affected and not a safety issue. However they have done this work several times 🤔 and are confident in time scales etc. This is our 5th yaris, I hope they haven't downgraded parts as mentioned before on this stream. All covered by warranty and usual good service so happy for now.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, emma27 said:

Hi, Just an update. My yaris was checked out today by toyota, following the hybrid malfunction warning. Fault found and described as 'damper' to be replaced. Seems a dodgy batch? After a Google they did a recall in new Zealand and Australia but not here when I quizzed them on this they said not many cars affected and not a safety issue. However they have done this work several times 🤔 and are confident in time scales etc. This is our 5th yaris, I hope they haven't downgraded parts as mentioned before on this stream. All covered by warranty and usual good service so happy for now.

Oh yes, the damper plate. had mine done on recall earlier this year

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links