Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction

Satsuki

14 hours ago, Nixy said:

The good news is that Toyota UK will start selling cars direct to the public very soon and will use an amazon platform. Just read it today. 

Why is that good news ? I don't see anything involving Amazon as good news.

• Haha 1

I’ve made a couple of posts on this thread. So it’s just an update.

My wife’s Yaris hybrid 2020 model still has this annoying fault of emitting a high frequency noise when the engine is charging the Battery as indicated by the onboard screen. The local dealership have failed to resolve it and won’t escalate it to further to Toyota.

As a retired electronics engineer I have heard identical sounds from equipment suffering over voltage then just burning out. We did this on prototype circuits to see how we could destroy them. 

As I said in my last post she was looking at alternative hybrids and today we both test drove one and have agreed a deal. So in the next few weeks the Yaris goes, and this will probably be my last visit to the forum.

Drive safe

Steve

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, scar said:

My wife’s Yaris hybrid 2020 model still has this annoying fault of emitting a high frequency noise when the engine is charging the battery as indicated by the onboard screen. The local dealership have failed to resolve it and won’t escalate it to further to Toyota.

As a retired electronics engineer I have heard identical sounds from equipment suffering over voltage then just burning out. We did this on prototype circuits to see how we could destroy them. 

As I said in my last post she was looking at alternative hybrids and today we both test drove one and have agreed a deal. So in the next few weeks the Yaris goes, and this will probably be my last visit to the forum.

Drive safe

Steve

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the best of the best in the hybrids world, hope you enjoy your new car more than the Yaris. I am not sure exactly of which noises you had been worried while charging but I had owned a dozens of Toyota hybrids in 10 years time now and traveled many miles and all of them are making those noises or similar while charging the batteries or slowing down and regenerative braking is working, don’t know if we are talking about same or something else. 👍

20 hours ago, scar said:

My wife’s Yaris hybrid 2020 model still has this annoying fault of emitting a high frequency noise when the engine is charging the battery as indicated by the onboard screen. The local dealership have failed to resolve it and won’t escalate it to further to Toyota.

Drive safe

Steve

Hey scar, sorry for curious which car are u getting? 

I was wondering if the noise @scar refers to is the sort of space ship noise the car makes at low speed ?

• Like 1

Mmm this rattling sound is a bit ugly but I would not define an high frequency one.

Moreover I wonder if a similar rattling sound could really warn somebody that there's a car behind him or it can be confused with a normal backgroud urban noise.

I too I've heard an high frequency sound coming from the bonnet when the car is in P and ICE is stopped an there are not other noises. I think that is generated by the DC/DC converter.  

I need to listern carefully, standing close to he car, to get this sound but maybe someone else has better ears than mine ones  😉

Probably the high frequency sound is present also during the recharge or S1 phase but I expect that should be covered by ICE noise. 

On 10/1/2021 at 9:15 AM, SlippinJimmy said:

I've just had this issue occur to me yesterday. I was speeding up to 70 on a dual carriageway and suddenly felt a jolt, lost power and a ping of multitude of errors (The exact same ones as the original post.) I had to pull over onto the hard shoulder and turn off and back on again and it seemed to drive home fine, just with the Hybrid malfunction error showing. I've had both recalls done, the first one being the seatbelt and the second one being a software issue that was done in July. I've brought my service forward that's due this month & they're going to do diagnostics on top on Thursday, so i'll see what they find out then. For now, I think it's fine to drive until then, but it's made me worried.

I was searching for any members experiencing this problem. I had exactly the same but mine came up with Hybrid fault Go to Garage. I was doing 70mph , hit a pot hole and left front wheel lost traction momentarily. The revs increased then a jolt and fault lights galore. I stopped and turned off to do a reset. The hybrid fault persisted. 
moving on my Yaris has been at the garage for 3 weeks waiting for parts. A new flywheel and balancer and new automatic gearbox. 
I have been informed it is a known fault. Garage contacted me today 21/01/22 to advise parts have arrived. Now they need a master technician to undertake the work as per Toyotas requirements for a warranty job. 
my car has less than 1000 miles on the clock. 
I had to fight to be provided with a hire car whilst mine is off the road. Don’t take any nonsense from the dealer who flatly refused. When Toyota Uk was informed by me a hire car was provided. 
I hope that as this is known fault it is rectified and no further problems as it is somewhat disconcerting for a new car to fail so badly. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Bantam Dave said:

I was searching for any members experiencing this problem. I had exactly the same but mine came up with Hybrid fault Go to Garage. I was doing 70mph , hit a pot hole and left front wheel lost traction momentarily. The revs increased then a jolt and fault lights galore. I stopped and turned off to do a reset. The hybrid fault persisted. 
moving on my Yaris has been at the garage for 3 weeks waiting for parts. A new flywheel and balancer and new automatic gearbox. 
I have been informed it is a known fault. Garage contacted me today 21/01/22 to advise parts have arrived. Now they need a master technician to undertake the work as per Toyotas requirements for a warranty job. 
I had to fight to be provided with a hire car whilst mine is off the road. Don’t take any nonsense from the dealer who flatly refused. When Toyota Uk was informed by me a hire car was provided. 
I hope that as this is known fault it is rectified and no further problems as it is somewhat disconcerting for a new car to fail so badly. 

Did hitting the pothole have anything to do with what followed.?

If they say it's a known fault there must be a TSB for it - See if you can find out what it is from them!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bantam Dave said:

I had something very similar happened to me back in December with  old auris hybrid. I was starting from stand still going long step uphill on fast A road and I wanted to accelerate faster and quicker then maintain steady speed and floored the accelerator but at the same time I hit a bad pothole and happen exactly the same the rpm went to the max and the car switched to neutral with hybrid system malfunction warning ⚠️, I managed to pull over into the grass verge and after restarting the car I was able to continue my journey home. The warning lights remained  on but I did diagnostic and reset the fault code and the car been absolutely fine ever since. Transmission checked, clutch, axles all in good shape. Now I believe it was the pothole and the lost of traction of the wheels that triggered that fault. , was thinking is the aged hybrid Battery but I did few hard acceleration afterwards on smooth surface and no problems at all. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bantam Dave said:

I smashed into an enormous pot hole about 6 months ago, a huge "Crack" was heard. I couldn't stop either as i was a very busy road, to kept going to my destination. Amazingly the car seems to have survived unscathed.

Think i was lucky. I have hear a few drivers experienceing similar to you and needing a new "damper assembly", so it's quite possible there's a weak point there.

• Like 1

I'm hoping it's just a manufacturing fault in certain lines; I've been over many obnoxious speed humps, cushions and pot holes, done full-bore tyre screeching starts off the line, braked hard enough to trigger the hazard lights and ABS, and gone over those nasty bits of the M25 with concrete slabs and expansion gaps (baDUMbaDUMbaDUM for MILES AND MILES) and mine is still okay (knock on wood, touch a rabbits foot, throw salt over the shoulder etc.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 6:19 PM, CPN said:

My car was in at the dealers today. Managed to get both updates done; the recall and the TSB...

353728026_YarisRecallTSBsmall.thumb.jpg.1f4850b8f986812bf5725ce65b076b15.jpg

I feel just a bit safer now! 🙂

Hi I have my car booked on for Friday, how long did they take to do this?

Screenshot 2022-01-25 150807 - Copy.jpg

24 minutes ago, Ripped off said:

It was about 2½ hrs if I recall correctly (for both). I just did a "waiting" appointment.

• Thanks 1

Hi all, for those that have asked the Yaris ( my wife’s car ) is going in for a Honda HRV Hybrid.

The car was ordered about 3 weeks ago and is due in the dealership March 14th .That’s a firm date.

As this is my wife’s car I will make the following  comments on her behalf. The interior of the Honda is more upmarket, the materials are better. She likes the addition rear passenger space, plus other stuff 😊

The comparison she makes is a Yaris excel ( panoramic roof ) light upholstery. The Honda is the advance style which is again the top of the model range. So it’s almost like for like.

The Yaris has a very firm ride as Toyota lower the tyre profile the higher you go up the model range. The smaller alloy bigger profile tyre models do have a more compliant ride.

Honda have chosen to give all the HRV models the same wheel/tyre size, only the style of the alloy varies. The ride is more suitable to our needs.

Maureen test drove the Yaris cross and we both liked the ride quality. ( the demo was on the larger profile tyre ) The interior quality unfortunately was the same. Toyota have chosen to put all the extra space into the boot area so rear passengers fair no better in the cross than they do in the Yaris .

Maureen really likes a digital number read out of speed, only the base Yaris cross offers that. Move 1 grade up and the Speedo is a needle that sweeps throughout the range and is in both our opinions difficult to read. There is no menu option to swap this.

Before anyone complains this is not a like for like comparison, there is a price difference.

When we looked at the Yaris cross the deal offered was rather poor. The px values of the current Yaris was way below what the big online “we buy your car” offered. In the end the Honda garage gave us just shy of £2000 more and this was fixed even thought they were unsure of the delivery date at the time of signing.

I also offered as a px to the Toyota garage an Aygo bought from them in 2012 1 owner 64000 miles. Was offered £1500 but only on the top of the range cross. In the end I actually used we buy any car and got over £2000. About 2 weeks later it was up for sale in a local garage for Over £3000.  You wait 4 working days with we buy any car to get your money in the bank. It was an easy transaction. They never drove the car just a visual check !

The Yaris was a great car, really nippy and the best mpg we have ever achieved. It seems to us that the interior was a cost cutting exercise and the £ went into the drive train. 

Our experience was soured by the inability of the Toyota garage to resolve our noise problem and the quality of the interior materials. The dealership experience was really poor. So it was a combination of things that moved us to the Honda HRV. For the first time since 1985 there isn’t a Toyota on our drive.

Balance things up a bit.

My daughter has a RAV4 hybrid and she loves it. No problems with the car. But same dealership and woeful experience with pdi and hand over in the rain.

All you readers take care and best wishes.

Steve

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 3:35 PM, Ripped off said:

Just got back, FYI it took 3 hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, first time on here. I have a Yaris Launch and had 2 occasions of Low Battery warnings and non start. Dealer checked and said no issues but charged 12v Battery. However, at end of January was on a dual carriageway in outside lane and dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree and whole host of warnings! Managed to limp off to a safe spot and contacted Toyota assist. No power steering, parking brake or any safety aids. By the time AA turned up, everything back on but Hybrid system malfunction message remained on dash. Drove to dealer followed by AA and dropped car off. Hire car arranged by AA through Toyota Assist. Garage said it might be a week before they could even look at car. I provided copy of breakdown report to garage as dealer apparently doesn't see this! AA couldn't get any electrical codes but there was a transmission error. I emailed Toyota as hire car only covers for 2 days and dealer had no courtesy cars. Toyota arranged hire car and dealer managed to look at car earlier. The update from dealer was that the car required the replacement of the Hybrid Transaxle Assembly. Part would not be available til 18th Feb. Hopefully no delays due to storms but contacting dealer tomorrow for update on progress. Will provide update when I have one. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I doubt it's the gearbox, it's more than likely the damper plate or invertor has failed, keep us informed

I hope they have the damper plate in stock

I can't believe they still haven't published a TSB for this and still seem to just be fumbling as to the cause - Enough people have had it on here I feel it must be a fairly common problem, although it does seem more likely with Launch Edition ones so far...

17 hours ago, flash22 said:

I doubt it's the gearbox, it's more than likely the damper plate or invertor has failed, keep us informed

I hope they have the damper plate in stock

I expect that a failure on invertor could be a non recoverable one. Yaris67 said that after power cycling everything turned back OK except for the alarm and he drove till the dealer.  So I don't think the fail was so serious like an invertor failure.

If the issue is due to damper failure it's really strange that is happening only on UK cars.  Afaik they're manufactured on same factories and also the powertrain should not be different for LHD or RHD cars. 

The inverter has fail safes like overload protection there was a manufacturing fault with the diodes - a damper issue can cause the trans to throw an issue due to the way it reads the torque values

this is a UK based forum, so you will get a bias of UK cars, other forums may have reported issues but my German and Italian is lacking

the yaris now comes out of 2 factories, TMMF and TMMCZ (formally TPCA up to early 2021)

2 hours ago, RickyC said:

I expect that a failure on invertor could be a non recoverable one. Yaris67 said that after power cycling everything turned back OK except for the alarm and he drove till the dealer.  So I don't think the fail was so serious like an invertor failure.

If the issue is due to damper failure it's really strange that is happening only on UK cars.  Afaik they're manufactured on same factories and also the powertrain should not be different for LHD or RHD cars. 

Have a look on line, it's a recall in Australia, wrong area application of lubricant, causes crankshaft damper slip when driven hard, I have noticed a few cases in the UK, but no recall for us.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Martin C W said:

I have noticed a few cases in the UK, but no recall for us.

The UK recall system largely relies on owners reporting possible safety issues to the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

If sufficient reports are received, the DVSA will investigate the reports with the manufacturer, and if they decide a recall is required, the manufacturer will write to owners of affected vehicles using owner details provided by DVLA.

If insufficient reports are received to allow DVSA to begin investigation, this will be communicated to those who have filed reports.

Details of the process can be found online.

• Like 1

Dealer contacted me today to inform me that part delayed until possibly this weekend. No firm arrival date for part. Assuming it does turn up, it's unlikely I will get my car back until next week. Over a month the car will be off the road, so 12V Battery probably goosed too! Have contacted Toyota for response.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links