Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction

Satsuki

On 12/31/2022 at 8:54 AM, Nixy said:

I don't understand the email comment from max. I think the guy stated that he visited the dealer for a software update prior to the incident. 

I take it you skipped past my explanation below in your haste to post the above -

"DOH i don't know how i managed to skip the part  below as it clearly states he took it to the dealer" 

On 12/30/2022 at 7:52 PM, Cyker said:

They're literally saying it did this some time AFTER the recall update was applied, which is why they are extra miffed that it happened as they are wondering if the update has somehow caused this,

Max Headroom - DOH i don't know how i managed to skip the part  below as it clearly states he took it to the dealer.  :blushing:

I took my car into Toyota on Thu 22nd Dec to have the required Software Update, a few days before this incident happened.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:31 AM, Nixy said:

He tried to fix it by removing a panel at the very left side visible once the door is open but no luck. He suggested then to dismantle the whole dash. I said no thanks! 

So your dealer has offered to fix it and you said no thanks then you !Removed! here about the noise, you couldn't make it up.

To be fair I wouldn't let someone take apart my dash out for the sake of a rattle - That's overkill for something so trivial, and is likely to lead to the creation of a new, actual and more serious problem!

If the rattle is so bothersome, then you need someone in the car to help locate the source - I remember reading a post on some Yaris forum (Forget if it was this one or the old YarusclubUK or Yarisworld ones...) where someone was complaining about a rattle and how poor the build quality etc. was in their Yaris, driving them crazy, but eventually, thanks to a passenger, discovered the rattle was something like a pen in the glovebox :laugh: 

• Haha 3

People from eastern countries says about soviet cars: - “ if something is rattling it’s ok as it means the part is still there, but when stops rattling it’s when you have to worry about as it means the part felt off the car “ 😂🚗🛠

• Haha 5

"CYKER"" the reason u describe in para 1, is exactly why I didn't let them take the dash apart! To be absolutely clear regarding my previous post, u first remove a dash panel hidden by the driver'"s door. This action allows to investigate if there is a rattle in there. That didn't fix my problem. 

• Like 2

The most common rattle on the Mk4 is the A Pillar trim against the dash or the same trim against the tweeter

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 5:28 PM, Nath12345 said:
Hi

Does anyone know about Yaris "Hybrid System Malfunction"? For 2020 model.

I live in Lancashire and drove to see my family in Cheshire (about 65 miles away) on Christmas Day with no incident.  I started to drive back home around 17:30 on that evening.  I was about 10 minutes into my journey on a dual carriageway (has a central reservation, 70mph speed limit) and just before you get to the M6 motorway which I would have travelled on.

There were two lanes on the dual carriageway, and there was no lighting.  I went to overtake a car in the left lane which was doing around 55mph.  As soon as I pulled right and put my foot down on the accelerator, I received alarms/lights and a complete loss of power.  The error displayed was Hybrid System Malfunction - Contact Dealer.  The car did not even go into limp/failsafe mode, literally I pressed the accelerator, and nothing happened.  So, I started naturally decreasing speed in the fast lane, due to no acceleration availability, and there were a couple of cars in the left lane.  I put on my hazards and indicated left all whilst slowing down due to lack of power.  I struggled to make it over to the grass verge as I had to wait for the cars to get past.  Over the next half an hour the hazards and lights seemed to dim at times, it appears the battery was losing power.
I bought the car just under 6 months ago from an official Toyota dealer, and called the AA breakdown number provided for Toyota Assistance which was provided as part of the package when I bought the car.  AA dispatched a breakdown guy, who recovered my car all the way to the Dealer and then took me home.  I got home around 21:30. 

The AA Breakdown Summary was, "We have arranged for a recovery of your vehicle.Vehicle cut out in fast lane of the dual carriageway on the junction with the m6. No electrics and road in total darkness,Recovered straight into dealer as ongoing issue. Engine Oil Level Ok. Coolant Level Ok."

I find it extremely concerning that this has happened as it was very dangerous and there could have been a crash or worse.  If I had of stopped completely in the fast lane, an approaching car could have crashed into me, as I say there were no lights, so the visibility was not great.  I also struggled to get over to the grass verge as there were cars already in the slow lane - again a crash could easily have happened.

I am also concerned because I received a Recall letter from Toyota about a month ago, the symptoms of which appear to be exactly what happened to me.  I took my car into Toyota on Thu 22nd Dec to have the required Software Update, a few days before this incident happened.

I believe the recall was along the lines of "Due to an improper programme g of hybrid system vehicle might not enter a failsafe driving mode. There is a possibility that the vehicle will not enter a failsafe driving mode if a temporary slip occurs in the input damper of the hybrid transaxle."

Since I had the car there have been no problems and I have been very happy with the car, so I am very concerned that an issue like this has occurred after a software update which appears to be supposed to fix the very issue that happened to me on Christmas Day.  The car has only done under 4000 miles as well.

This problem essentially ruined my Christmas.  It was a very stressful and scary situation and made worse by the consequent inconvenience due to having no car.
I feel as though I have lost complete confidence in the car now.  I chose Toyota because they are a known reliable brand. and this is a car less than two years old, hasn't even required its first MOT yet.

Thanks.

On 12/31/2022 at 8:20 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Could you PM your chassis number and I can confirm the recall was applied

Ok when did your car arrive with the dealer after the breakdown? as something does not look correct, first pic is my Mums can which went in on the 30th as you can see Toyota's servers recorded the ECU calibration on the 30th along with the warranty claim submission and campaign completion.

image.thumb.png.c7db433849f9d1aa5627281745e37b11.png

The second pic is your car which shows a warranty claim on the 22nd along with campaign completion but the ECU update was on the 29thimage.thumb.png.edbecdf26bc44ea731d754a0a59bcb36.png

this would suggest the ECU update was not done despite being claimed for on the 22nd and why your car lost all power when the recall should have prevented this, also of note there is another recall now live on your car XGG78 A software update for the e-call module which went live in between Xmas & new year so make sure your dealer sorts this and while you are at it ask them for the DTC that was set when the fault occurred my money is on P314779 

• Like 4

On 1/1/2023 at 2:55 PM, Cyker said:

someone was complaining about a rattle and how poor the build quality etc. was in their Yaris, driving them crazy, but eventually, thanks to a passenger, discovered the rattle was something like a pen in the glovebox :laugh: 

It remembers me a '80 spot of WV Golf for Italian market

https://youtu.be/aJWs9ErIWIs

P.S.  Happy New Year !!!!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Ok when did your car arrive with the dealer after the breakdown? as something does not look correct, first pic is my Mums can which went in on the 30th as you can see Toyota's servers recorded the ECU calibration on the 30th along with the warranty claim submission and campaign completion.

The second pic is your car which shows a warranty claim on the 22nd along with campaign completion but the ECU update was on the 29thimage.thumb.png.edbecdf26bc44ea731d754a0a59bcb36.png

this would suggest the ECU update was not done despite being claimed for on the 22nd and why your car lost all power when the recall should have prevented this, also of note there is another recall now live on your car XGG78 A software update for the e-call module which went live in between Xmas & new year so make sure your dealer sorts this and while you are at it ask them for the DTC that was set when the fault occurred my money is on P314779 

Hi.  My car keys were handed to the dealer at 5pm on Wed 28th and they first looked at it on Thu 29th.   Seems a bit suspicious to me... ??

17 minutes ago, Nath12345 said:

Hi.  My car keys were handed to the dealer at 5pm on Wed 28th and they first looked at it on Thu 29th.   Seems a bit suspicious to me... ??

Well as 5pm would have been near to their closing time, they would probably have been concentrating on customers collecting cars that had been in that day for servicing, etc.

Even dealer staff have homes to go to.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Well as 5pm would have been near to their closing time, they would probably have been concentrating on customers collecting cars that had been in that day for servicing, etc.

Even dealer staff have homes to go to.

I think you may have misunderstood me.  Devon Aygo asked me when me car arrived with the dealer to see what date tallied up with the ECU update.  I was just letting him know when it arrived and when they would have looked at it.  I wasn't complaining about them not looking at until the Thursday 😀

20 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

I've had an email showing me the print-out and confirmation the code was indeed P314779.

Had a call this afternoon to say the recall update had not been applied, apologising and saying they will be looking into it internally.  They said it was their fault this incident had happened.  Hoping to pick the car back up tomorrow.

I'm not really familiar with situations like this and have never had a problem where I have had to take a car back to a Dealer.  In light of what has happened and with it occuring on Christmas Day, being without a car for the following few days until the Hire Car could be sorted (essentially scuppering my plans over the christmas period), being serious in itself - any suggestions on whether I should be approaching for them to make amends in some way?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nath12345 said:

I've had an email showing me the print-out and confirmation the code was indeed P314779.

Had a call this afternoon to say the recall update had not been applied, apologising and saying they will be looking into it internally.  They said it was their fault this incident had happened.  Hoping to pick the car back up tomorrow.

I'm not really familiar with situations like this and have never had a problem where I have had to take a car back to a Dealer.  In light of what has happened and with it occuring on Christmas Day, being without a car for the following few days until the Hire Car could be sorted (essentially scuppering my plans over the christmas period), being serious in itself - any suggestions on whether I should be approaching for them to make amends in some way?  

The recall was to ensure if P314779 occurred then the car would not loose all power, it does not fix the issue causing P314779 essentially your car needs a new modified transaxle damper unit and flywheel, has this been done?

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2023 at 1:55 PM, Cyker said:

To be fair I wouldn't let someone take apart my dash out for the sake of a rattle - That's overkill for something so trivial, and is likely to lead to the creation of a new, actual and more serious problem!

If the rattle is so bothersome, then you need someone in the car to help locate the source - I remember reading a post on some Yaris forum (Forget if it was this one or the old YarusclubUK or Yarisworld ones...) where someone was complaining about a rattle and how poor the build quality etc. was in their Yaris, driving them crazy, but eventually, thanks to a passenger, discovered the rattle was something like a pen in the glovebox :laugh: 

Yes, I thought there was an annoying rattle in my MK4 Yaris and turned out to be a water bottle in one of the cup holders!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

The recall was to ensure if P314779 occurred then the car would not loose all power, it does not fix the issue causing P314779 essentially your car needs a new modified transaxle damper unit and flywheel, has this been done?

Is there a TSB for that?

I don't think that is being done unless the problem is repeatable - I asked about such things when it happened to me but was only told to book it in for a more thorough check if it happened again; Since I've been more gentle with it it's a lot less likely to happen but the underlying design flaw will still be there.

I assume it's not possible to get them to do it under warranty unless the problem is repeated...?

• Like 2

To fix the issue they should preventively change the damper and the flywheel on all potentially involved cars.  It's evident that is too much expensive ( with a so crowded engine compartment I don't think is very easy to disconnect PSD from ICE without removing the full powertrain ) to fix the issue so they planned a workaround to reduce the side effects in case the issue happens.

But I hope that if a car stops for P314779 they will fix the issue replacing the involved components instead of simply resetting some alarms.

• Like 1

Go on utube search North Wales SXS and the Toyota Yaris fault code. This guy had it happen to him, he made a video which explains it all, ends with his main dealer saying they were aware of the problem, and have replaced with new revised parts under warranty, a expensive fix, I believe he wrote something on this thread about a 12 month ago. 

• Like 2

I must admit, if they can mitigate it in a software change without needing the drivetrain opened, and without impacting the performance noticeably, I'd be happy with that - I'm always a bit wary of doing stuff like this, esp. on a very new car, as it's rarely put back together as well as it was made in the factory.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

Is there a TSB for that?

I don't think that is being done unless the problem is repeatable - I asked about such things when it happened to me but was only told to book it in for a more thorough check if it happened again; Since I've been more gentle with it it's a lot less likely to happen but the underlying design flaw will still be there.

I assume it's not possible to get them to do it under warranty unless the problem is repeated...?

There is no TSB however because of the nature of the failure there is a SPA (Special policy adjustment) under normal circumstance the dealer should upon discovery of P314779 fit a modified Damper & flywheel set following the SPA guidelines but claim under the manufacturer warranty the SPA allows cover up to 9 years regardless of mileage or existence of Service activated warranty, in affect anyone using Toyota should get the issue covered under warranty if the owner is out of warranty and does not have a service activated warranty the SPA cover would apply.

Any affected model of Yaris or Yaris Cross will have SPA XHG48 listed against the chassis number

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RickyC said:

To fix the issue they should preventively change the damper and the flywheel on all potentially involved cars.  It's evident that is too much expensive ( with a so crowded engine compartment I don't think is very easy to disconnect PSD from ICE without removing the full powertrain ) to fix the issue so they planned a workaround to reduce the side effects in case the issue happens.

But I hope that if a car stops for P314779 they will fix the issue replacing the involved components instead of simply resetting some alarms.

The actual failure rate is very low and is not considered a safety related item so is is unlikely to result in a recall , The recall XGG60 is to address an improper engine ecu programming that results in the car cutting power when P314779 is detected this should not occur and is a safety issue so hence the recall to reprogramme cars to stop this issue.

Toyota have also introduced an SPA to ensure cars regardless of warranty cover will get the issue fixed;

SPA (Special policy adjustment) under normal circumstance the dealer should upon discovery of P314779 fit a modified Damper & flywheel set following the SPA guidelines but claim under the manufacturer warranty the SPA allows cover up to 9 years regardless of mileage or existence of Service activated warranty, in affect anyone using Toyota should get the issue covered under warranty if the owner is out of warranty and does not have a service activated warranty the SPA cover would apply.

Any affected model of Yaris or Yaris Cross will have SPA XHG48 listed against the chassis 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

Is there a TSB for that?

To gat a repair you would need P314779 to repeat, Toyota would not accept a previous failure which has been cleared and not since repeated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow thank you, that is really good to know - I just hope mine is covered, in case it happens again!

I get that they won't just do it unless it happens again, as I don't even think it was logged on the system due to them squeezing me in on the weekend, but they did say if it does it again to book it in properly. I'm not so worried about it now since I know the car is still safely driveable if the error is triggered again.

It was just bloody scary the first time it happened as status lights I didn't even know the dash had lit up and the car beeped angrily at me while cycling through scary messages on the MFD until I got to the services to turn it off and on again :laugh: 

It's reassuring that SPA has such a long cover time, as it does seem to be a problem that only happens in certain circumstances, so who knows when or if it'll do it again! I've not been driving mine particularly gently, but it only happened to me that one time after I had overtaken someone and then lifted off so it's not just a case of hard acceleration and/or braking that causes it...

Again, thanks for your insight; It helps so much being able to tell other dealers the relevant  documents to look up, esp. ones not as conscientious as yours!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The same happened to me as well, unfortunately. It's been 2 weeks already. My Yaris Cross is standing by the dealer's workshop. The failure happened while the car was standing on P. So, no road risk (Thanx God). The dealer cannot even read any data by diagnostics. So, I told them possible problem. We will see. They already spent 1 full day on it with no result. For me it looks like they have no such an experience as yet. Another session is planned for this Friday. Does any of experienced owners have any information about possible solution except of the ECU, please? Thank you in advance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright.. So, the solution of my problem was main computer unit replacement (apologies for my wording, not sure how is the part called in English). 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links