Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction


Recommended Posts

I have now had my car in the dealers for two weeks- they’ve had to change a significant part linked to the gear box- a diagnostic test did provide details. So this is a definite issue. I do around 80 miles a day part motorway. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, good news just been contacted by my Toyota Service Garage manager and told that Toyota know about this problem and have a software fix. Hopefully this is being done Tomorrow. The service manag

So, you don’t live in the UK, so you not under the management of Toyota UK. Your car potentially could develop a serious fault but you feel it’s not worth contacting your countries Toyota importe

I write from Italy! You forgive my English! The same thing happened to me on Friday night with the new Yaris! On the exit ramp from the highway the car stopped and I had no control of the steering and

Posted Images

It sounds like they have changed the Inverter, so there is possible a manufacturing defect

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 3:45 PM, Trulivar said:

Hi All, good news just been contacted by my Toyota Service Garage manager and told that Toyota know about this problem and have a software fix. Hopefully this is being done Tomorrow. The service manager said he had not done this before or knew about this. I don't know if they plan a recall but suggest getting on touch with your dealership to find out more. Hooray

Have you got the car back? Is it ok?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a real safety concern. I don't want to drive my car if it could lose power, say on a smart motorway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Houston/Toyota we have a problem.

Oh well, this happened to mine this morning. Fortunatley happened on the drive. I had planned to drive on Smart Motorway later on in the day. I shudder to think.
862278889_HybridMalfunction.thumb.jpg.8bec68bb9655d7b3d896003f10bfaf65.jpg
 

  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, W1P30UT said:

Houston/Toyota we have a problem.

Oh well, this happened to mine this morning. Fortunatley happened on the drive. I had planned to drive on Smart Motorway later on in the day. I shudder to think.
862278889_HybridMalfunction.thumb.jpg.8bec68bb9655d7b3d896003f10bfaf65.jpg
 

Doesn't bare thinking about, does it? There seems to be a sofware fix now, something to do with the ABS apparently.

I've got a full weekend coming up with plenty of motorway driving, it's always in the back of my mind it's going to happen

Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds really alarming,  to me. Did anyone get a formal response from Toyota? This sounds like it could result in a serious accident - the kind of thing that should make Toyota issue a clarifying statement.  Did anyone formally contact them? If not, I think I will (even though I will probably get asked to contact Toyota in my region).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hairyarris said:

This sounds really alarming,  to me. Did anyone get a formal response from Toyota? This sounds like it could result in a serious accident - the kind of thing that should make Toyota issue a clarifying statement.  Did anyone formally contact them? If not, I think I will (even though I will probably get asked to contact Toyota in my region).

So, why not contact Toyota in your own region, potentially save time getting action.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Catlover said:

So, why not contact Toyota in your own region, potentially save time getting action.

 

Because:

1) I am unaware of any examples of the problem in this region and certainly not of any owners having contacted garages and having them acknowledge that Toyota are aware. I don't want to be the first.

2) This is a relatively quiet market and I think any reaction here will be much slower to get off the ground (that is my experience in other areas but I might be wrong when it comes to this area).

3) That would be a bogus response from Toyota for a problem of this type. This is a safety issue - I would expect Toyota to take it seriously if I told them it happened near mars. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Catlover said:

So, why not contact Toyota in your own region, potentially save time getting action.

I should also add that I have had a similar brush off from Toyota UK for a query as simple as "I can't find the owner's manual on the UK website in English". It was a bogus response then too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, hairyarris said:

 

Because:

1) I am unaware of any examples of the problem in this region and certainly not of any owners having contacted garages and having them acknowledge that Toyota are aware. I don't want to be the first.

2) This is a relatively quiet market and I think any reaction here will be much slower to get off the ground (that is my experience in other areas but I might be wrong when it comes to this area).

3) That would be a bogus response from Toyota for a problem of this type. This is a safety issue - I would expect Toyota to take it seriously if I told them it happened near mars. 

So, you don’t live in the UK, so you not under the management of Toyota UK.

Your car potentially could develop a serious fault but you feel it’s not worth contacting your countries Toyota importer because the market is small.

If I interpreted that correctly it sounds weird.  According to Trulivar on 6th May, Toyota UK know of the fault and their is a software fix.  Why shouldn’t you contact the Toyota imposter in your country, say you heard about this fault, your concerned, you hear their is a software fix and you would like it applied to your car. That seems to me to be much more pro active then you contacting Toyota UK, especially when you expect to be told to contact Toyota in your country.
 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

My car has been with the dealer now for well over a week. I understand the mechanics at my dealer are in contact with the factory, but still have no idea what is wrong with the car. It had over 50 fault codes! I am relieved that they are doing proper investigation and not just resetting the codes and replacing a component sending us out in the car with no real understanding. However I am deeply concerned about this issue with the car. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, W1P30UT said:

My car has been with the dealer now for well over a week. I understand the mechanics at my dealer are in contact with the factory, but still have no idea what is wrong with the car. It had over 50 fault codes! I am relieved that they are doing proper investigation and not just resetting the codes and replacing a component sending us out in the car with no real understanding. However I am deeply concerned about this issue with the car. 

Keep detailed account of what happened to the car, where, when etc, response from dealer, good, bad, quick, slow, record what they say they going to do, preferably all in writing. Make sure what they said they going to do has been done. 
Why all the above. You have a right to reject a new car, but it can’t be just done on anything, hence detail. If the car is now over a month old, up to 6 months old you can still reject a car. If the dealer doesn’t agree, you contact customer service at the vehicle manufacturer HO, listing the history and sending copies of correspondence and details whilst dealing with the dealer over the problem.

So you have rights, just need backing up with details of everything that’s gone on.

One other important point, if you reject the car, then you must stop using it, you shouldn’t be using it even as a run around - you rejecting it because of a defect.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Keep detailed account of what happened to the car, where, when etc, response from dealer, good, bad, quick, slow, record what they say they going to do, preferably all in writing. Make sure what they said they going to do has been done. 
Why all the above. You have a right to reject a new car, but it can’t be just done on anything, hence detail. If the car is now over a month old, up to 6 months old you can still reject a car. If the dealer doesn’t agree, you contact customer service at the vehicle manufacturer HO, listing the history and sending copies of correspondence and details whilst dealing with the dealer over the problem.

So you have rights, just need backing up with details of everything that’s gone on.

One other important point, if you reject the car, then you must stop using it, you shouldn’t be using it even as a run around - you rejecting it because of a defect.

Thanks, already on the case. I've succuessfully rejected cars before. I understand I have to give them the opportunity to repair.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, W1P30UT said:

My car has been with the dealer now for well over a week. I understand the mechanics at my dealer are in contact with the factory, but still have no idea what is wrong with the car. It had over 50 fault codes! I am relieved that they are doing proper investigation and not just resetting the codes and replacing a component sending us out in the car with no real understanding. However I am deeply concerned about this issue with the car. 

...and you have every right to be, as would I be!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I write from Italy! You forgive my English! The same thing happened to me on Friday night with the new Yaris! On the exit ramp from the highway the car stopped and I had no control of the steering and the brake! I got very scared! A small truck for a few centimeters did not hit me! It was scary and very dangerous! Now the car is in the Toyota Service ! I await the response! They told me about a reprogramming! The errors appeared on the monitor were identical:

Hybrid system malfunction
Radar system malfunction
ABS break malfunction
Pre-collision system malfunction
Power steering malfunction

I will try to update you!

 

ad172524-e338-41e3-a770-916cfe0c3efe.jpg

1b988bb9-e601-49a5-8abb-dba8e12d5cd8.jpg

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious but can all you guys who have suffered this problem come back with your current mileages (when this problem occurred) on the Odometer please?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since both of you mention “rain” or “snow” . Could it be that either of these has created a short in your electrics , causing false readings to be sent to the ecu?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CPN said:

Just curious but can all you guys who have suffered this problem come back with your current mileages (when this problem occurred) on the Odometer please?

Ok, that's Michele in Italy showing 5,932 miles (9492Km)

The OP (Farzad) is showing 2,023 miles

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2021 at 5:18 PM, W1P30UT said:

Houston/Toyota we have a problem.

Oh well, this happened to mine this morning. Fortunatley happened on the drive. I had planned to drive on Smart Motorway later on in the day. I shudder to think.
862278889_HybridMalfunction.thumb.jpg.8bec68bb9655d7b3d896003f10bfaf65.jpg
 

What was your Odometer reading Nigel?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CPN said:

Just curious but can all you guys who have suffered this problem come back with your current mileages (when this problem occurred) on the Odometer please?

as you can see this happened at 9,492 km and -if I'm not mistaken the calculations- should correspond to 5,898 miles

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MicheleScafuro said:

as you can see this happened at 9,492 km and -if I'm not mistaken the calculations- should correspond to 5,898 miles

(1Km=5/8ths of a mile... I used an old-fashioned conversion method😉)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done just under 3,000 miles, it's not happened to me yet, but i live in fear, especially when on the motorway.

Someone mentioned on another thread here there is a recall for this, and a software fix but we have to wait for a letter from the DVLA.  Haven't had mine yet but did a number plate search on a recall site and it said i was due for a recall but didn't say what for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Toyota GB has their own recall checker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota GB has their own recall checker.

Yep, that's the one i checked

357067162_Screenshot2021-06-07at22-21-55RecallCheckerToyotaUK.thumb.png.c535d32d876bc95e8b83f294d4446af7.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership