Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2020 TNGA - Hybrid System Malfunction

Satsuki

2 hours ago, RickyC said:

Did you pay for the fix or the parts were changed within warranty ?

All paid by Toyota within the warranty. 

2 hours ago, RickyC said:

Did you pay for the fix or the parts were changed within warranty ?

Under warranty. 

14 hours ago, Mikw said:

Glad you got your car back.

Can you hear the EGR cooler while the car is operating? I'm only asking because my car used to have a fan style noise that would stay on for a few seconds after shutting the car down, but that noise has stopped recently

No I can't hear it at all. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nixy said:

All paid by Toyota within the warranty. 

Wow interesting.

So they admitted a manufacturing defect instead of saying that the issue was caused by the use of fuel polluted by chlorine or something else, so the customer had to pay ( about 1.5K euros ) the fix? 

2 hours ago, Nixy said:

Ι am only referring to Toyota cars. 

So is he! Since 2014, Toyota and BMW signed a deal for BMW to supply its (more efficient) diesel engines for fitment in a range of Toyota models... (the recall you referred to in your post was only to do with the deisel engined variants of the models you quoted)

2 hours ago, Nixy said:

Ι am only referring to Toyota cars. 

The Toyota cars you referenced as being recalled all had BMW diesel engines and nothing in relation to your Yaris

21 hours ago, CPN said:

So is he! Since 2014, Toyota and BMW signed a deal for BMW to supply its (more efficient) diesel engines for fitment in a range of Toyota models... (the recall you referred to in your post was only to do with the deisel engined variants of the models you quoted)

Please find the EU official recall note attached. Not sure it's referring to petrol or diesel but it looks exactly the same problem I had to faceNotification_A12_00444_21_en.pdf

3 hours ago, Nixy said:

Please find the EU official recall note attached. Not sure it's referring to petrol or diesel but it looks exactly the same problem I had to faceNotification_A12_00444_21_en.pdf

"Description Model (frame code): Auris (WWE185), Avensis (WWT270, WWT271), RAV4 (WWA42), Verso (WAR20); Model year: 2015~2018; Countries of production: United Kingdom (Auris, Avensis), Japan (RAV4), Turkey (Verso)."

If you look them up, ALL those frame codes refer to Diesel engine variants of each model! There is no such thing as a Diesel engine Hybrid in the Toyota range...

I think that someone at wherever your car was in for repair is bs'ing you! Now you are sure!!

WW and WA are the model codes for the cars with the BMW DIESEL 1WW and 2WW engines

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

WW and WA are the model codes for the cars with the BMW DIESEL 1WW and 2WW engines

Exactly! 🙂

Yes, me too, suddenly alarms ringing, warning lights on the dashboard lighting up telling me everything was failing! 0mph speed showing  mileage not changing, steering heavy. But turned engine off, waited a few minutes, then everything ok EXCEPT says Hybrid system failure. Am gob-smacked this happened on new car, low mileage and on a Toyota

3 hours ago, Adeybabe said:

Yes, me too, suddenly alarms ringing, warning lights on the dashboard lighting up telling me everything was failing! 0mph speed showing  mileage not changing, steering heavy. But turned engine off, waited a few minutes, then everything ok EXCEPT says Hybrid system failure. Am gob-smacked this happened on new car, low mileage and on a Toyota

Thanks God a faults like that are not common thing especially on airplanes, the car can pull over and wait, restart and off you go, but with so many “smart motorways” it is a dangerous situation indeed. Perhaps Toyota works on it and will fix it. 🤞 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Adeybabe said:

And another one!

What were the circumstances when it happened?  Have the dealership said what they're going to do?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got lost about a year ago as to which Yaris is which. 2020 TNGA is the *current* Yaris on sale?

Do we know if new-builds are corrected, or is it still unknown?

4 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I got lost about a year ago as to which Yaris is which. 2020 TNGA is the *current* Yaris on sale?

Do we know if new-builds are corrected, or is it still unknown?

New production will be on the newest cal (software)

Gen 3 07/2011 - 04/2021 (facelifts in 2014 and 2017)

Gen 4 07/2020 onwards aka bubble butt

*these are production dates, release dates in the UK vary

My one was made late April of this year and so far hasn't exhibited any weird problems like that.

My dealer says there are no active recalls outstanding on my car so I think it might just be the earlier ones.

(Touch wood, touch a rabbit's foot, throw salt over shoulder etc. :laugh: )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A bit of a typo, it should read

Gen 3 07/2011 - 04/2020 (facelifts in 2014 and 2017

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

My one was made late April of this year and so far hasn't exhibited any weird problems like that.

My dealer says there are no active recalls outstanding on my car so I think it might just be the earlier ones.

(Touch wood, touch a rabbit's foot, throw salt over shoulder etc. :laugh: )

Good for you. Let's hope it goes trouble free for all of us, owners of the mk4 Yaris!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem august 10th 2021 with 19700 miles on the car, it shut down all sorts of messages on display, turned it off left for a moment and powered back up, drove okay but still displaying hybrid malfunction, off to the dealership who found a code in the system saying mechanical drive fault 

car been returned today having had the damper assembly replaced with upgraded parts, the part looks like a clutch assembly, fault fixed for now 

hopefully it’s not going to return with this problem but I now know the symptoms before it happens again 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, North Wales SXS said:

I had this problem august 10th 2021 with 19700 miles on the car, it shut down all sorts of messages on display, turned it off left for a moment and powered back up, drove okay but still displaying hybrid malfunction, off to the dealership who found a code in the system saying mechanical drive fault 

car been returned today having had the damper assembly replaced with upgraded parts, the part looks like a clutch assembly, fault fixed for now 

hopefully it’s not going to return with this problem but I now know the symptoms before it happens again 

I watch your vids on Youtube, in fact it was partly because of one of yours i brought a new Yaris.

Are you saying that the damper assembly caused the mechanical drive fault, or was that a seperate issue?

17 hours ago, North Wales SXS said:

Damper assembly problem? 

Very strange.  Afaik some Yaris and Yaris Cross sold in Australia ( and manufactured in Japan ) were affected by this problem and Toyota recalled many cars to fix the issue.  But it's the first time I hear of this problem on an European Yaris ( I suppose that yours one is made in France ).  

20 hours ago, North Wales SXS said:

Is your car a hybrid? What clutch assembly are you talking about? 

26 minutes ago, Nixy said:

Is your car a hybrid? What clutch assembly are you talking about? 

All Toyota hybrids has an actual clutch very similar to manual transmission clutch and flywheel, the difference is that it’s permanently engaged and does not disengage (disconnect) the torque from the engine. It serves the purpose of torque dampening between the electric motor and internal combustion engine, they usually last lifetime of the car but in some cases can go wrong and have their springs broken due to an engine knocking or some sore of overload, if you drive your hybrid as on rally. Here is a video explaining more. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, North Wales SXS said:

In your videos you had said that you have changed two sets of front tyres in 20k miles., and you had been driving very spirited, well that could had accelerated the issue with the damper, let say been a faulty or defective part, but if you drive it hard obviously will cause more wear on these parts. 😉👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links