Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map Update Info

Timh21

Thought this might help others if you experience what I did.

Noticed on Toyota Portal that latest map version is  2020v2.  My car has 2020v1 so thought Id try downloading latest version. Went into e-store and there was the V2 map so I clicked on it, accepted terms and conditions and then got a message "You have already purchased this",  which I hadnt??   Tried a few times but got same result so emailed Toyota. Fair play, got a reply fairly quickly which said, yes, you must have already purchased, check your purchase history in e-store.  Sure enough its in there, with a load of other stuff thats already on the unit,  so, I can only assume that any map updates actually get added automatically to your account.  Ive got it downloading now, its pretty big, 12GB, I'll let you know how I get on

Think I need to update my home IT, 😄, good job Im not busy

y4mM4HRiHujIwLleRQzCqq8KV9vAkf5eU7ATRBa8

It's not your IT, its your broadband speed, but at least you can do something else whilst it downloads. You're going to have to sit in the car with the power on for at least an hour while it uploads!

16 minutes ago, Geoff W said:

It's not your IT, its your broadband speed, but at least you can do something else whilst it downloads. You're going to have to sit in the car with the power on for at least an hour while it uploads!

No mate, the map update downloaded in about 15 mins, that is transferring it to USB stick

I checked my map version on the headunit, using my phone’s WiFi connection. I’ve got 2020 v1.0, after checking it says that I have the latest version?? (Obviously not as v2.0 is out!) 

2 hours ago, Timh21 said:

No mate, the map update downloaded in about 15 mins, that is transferring it to USB stick

I was looking at your screen shot of 2 hours remaining. Your broadband must be a lot better than mine if it completed the download of 12 GB to USB stick in 15 minutes.

Have you uploaded the USB stick to the car yet? That was the painful bit that took me over an hour!

1 hour ago, Geoff W said:

I was looking at your screen shot of 2 hours remaining. Your broadband must be a lot better than mine if it completed the download of 12 GB to USB stick in 15 minutes.

Have you uploaded the USB stick to the car yet? That was the painful bit that took me over an hour!

Your still not getting what Im saying mate. I downloaded the file direct to my pc first, that took around 15 minutes. I then unzipped the file to a USB stick, that took the 2 hours. Yes, ive now uploaded to car, took just over an hour

• Like 1

So yes, as above, all done now, blimey its a bit of a mammoth task really and not sure I'll bother again,  for a while anyway:

y4m6SEpCafubOonB9Q0FbUCdDHliVmFbavndSsHt

This is what you get for a couple of minutes once youve plugged the USB stick in.

y4me207tWG2r14T5Lt9KSQbbjEj_Xy_t5z1WTHI2

Then this

y4mTh2AM7dx1wSey2OG4nmVCAwcdDuCivSeenPDS

Your then prompted for the activation code which you get from the Portal where you download the map from

y4moMOaj8-rYwW1oHrq0oEG6ugXQ8Fl5ihNpYrVT

And it starts, this is where you go for a drive or whatever, a message does say that you can stop and resume later if needed, i didnt bother and just kept it going.

y4mugY3zi5o1SJ17Rq-9AMLaVXpcC7q-tz8fe_u7

An hour and a bit later and your done, remove USB and the system reboots.

One thing I noted, the Instructions on the Portal say that you can choose which countries or parts of Europe you want to install, well, its obviously changed because I didnt get that

7 hours ago, Geoff W said:

Could have been worse. I could only have a USB disk and it took over four hours to update. I ain't making that mistake again.

I just hotspot my phone to the car and download and install on my way to work 

Took about 40 mins 

3 hours ago, Malcster said:

I just hotspot my phone to the car and download and install on my way to work 

Took about 40 mins 

Pretty sure there are different things going on here, no way is a 12GB map update installing over mobile tethering in 40 mins

22 hours ago, Timh21 said:

Your still not getting what Im saying mate. I downloaded the file direct to my pc first, that took around 15 minutes. I then unzipped the file to a USB stick, that took the 2 hours. Yes, ive now uploaded to car, took just over an hour

Transfer speeds PC to USB will depend on whether you have USB2 or USB3 ports on your PC. The difference is marked and I suspect you probably have the slower version 2 if it's taking two hours.

For anyone with USB3 capability then do invest in a faster USB3 thumb drive to match the port speed. It makes jobs like this far less tedious. 

16 minutes ago, Velvet--Glove said:

Transfer speeds PC to USB will depend on whether you have USB2 or USB3 ports on your PC. The difference is marked and I suspect you probably have the slower version 2 if it's taking two hours.

For anyone with USB3 capability then do invest in a faster USB3 thumb drive to match the port speed. It makes jobs like this far less tedious. 

I know mate, thats why I remarked I need a new Home PC😀.  Im actually an IT hardware engineer, but typically I cant be ubikd with upgrading home stuff. My Works Laptop has USB3 but its locked down and all pen drives have to be bit locker encrypted so cant really use that.

Its a bit like the mechanic who rides around in a wreck

• Like 1

Just for information:

The OTA update in car option only downloads the latest UK/Eire map set ( it also allows interruptions to download & install )whereas the Download via PC includes the entire Western EU map set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Just for information:

The OTA update in car option only downloads the latest UK/Eire map set ( it also allows interruptions to download & install )whereas the Download via PC includes the entire Western EU map set.

Thanks mate, I guessed as much, and think thats what I'll do from now on as car will never leave UK in my hands

On 05/02/2021 at 7:04 AM, Timh21 said:

Pretty sure there are different things going on here, no way is a 12GB map update installing over mobile tethering in 40 mins

Nope left my drive clicked download 

Got to work and left car in the workshop while it finished 

I only updated UK maps 

I add the mamp update to the basket and check the Ts and Cs but don't see anywhere to start the down load. What an I missing?

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

I add the mamp update to the basket and check the Ts and Cs but don't see anywhere to start the down load. What an I missing?

Look in purchases, mine was in there, but you might want to try the way Malcster did it above if you only want UK maps. Think I'll be doing it that way next time. !Removed! Toyota dont make things that clear

1 hour ago, Timh21 said:

Look in purchases, mine was in there, but you might want to try the way Malcster did it above if you only want UK maps. Think I'll be doing it that way next time. !Removed! Toyota dont make things that clear

I did the in-car update and assumed that this was GB only.  However it tells me it is already purchased.  I guess it must be the whole lot.