Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird Noise

fira

Hello there,

I've got an Avensis SR (2001) which runs absolutely fine except for one little issue which I've noticed over the past few days....when the car has been parked and I pull away, a strange grinding noise can be heard for a fraction of a second and then goes away totally. The noise seems to be coming from somewhere near the front - i haven't been able to narrow it down to where.

The noise doesn't occur if the car is stopped at traffic lights or in traffic. It only seems to occur once the car is parked and the engine is off. The noise is noticable almost as soon as you pull away.

Any ideas anyone ?

Could be brakes binding, an engine mount, but I would say the most likely is the gearbox as that could cause a noise like this, afterall facelift Avensis gearboxes are not renowned for their robustness.

Hi,

If this _always_ happens after the car's been sitting for a few days, next time try pumping the brake pedal hard a few times before driving off. If it is the front brakes binding a bit then that may unbind them -> no noise.

Bye.

My Avensis also does this but then so did my Primera which I owned prior to the Avensis. I usually get it when driving off first thing on a morning but it only does it going forward. I can reverse a few feet and hear nothing yet as soon as I set off forwards it does it. Only once and only for a fraction of a second. As I said, my Primera also had the same trait and never had any problems with that so I wouldn't worry about it.

I've just worked out what it is! It's the ABS pump, I remember my Primera used to do it too and that's what it was - nothing to worry about then!

Cool, thanks a lot guys.

I'm less concerned now, but I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if anything sinister comes of it....

Fira

I have a brand new 04 Avensis Tourer and this also makes a very brief 'grinding' noise, with a few yards of pulling away. Only lasts for a fraction of a second and I seem to hear it from the direction of the driver's side wheelarch.

The handbook describes it as an ABS self-test and nothing to worry about! :)

in the handbook it says this noise is from the VSC making a test on the ABS and the traction control.

• 3 months later...

If this noise only occurs when you first set off after starting the engind then it is the vehicle stability control system firing all the soleniods to self test the system.

It happens every time the car is started and you reach about 3mph.