Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Recommended Posts

On my travels today I noticed in my rear view mirror what I thought was a Corolla gaining on me on the M5. As it passed I clocked a Suzuki emblem on the tailgate instead of Toyota and Swace at the bottom right hand corner. 

Quick search on the internet and yes They are on Suzuki website. 

https://cars.suzuki.co.uk/new-cars/swace/

Does anyone know what going on here?🤨

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, same as Mitsubishi and fiat pick up tracks, same cars sold under different makes. Suzuki also offers suv rebadged rav4. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Toyota and Suzuki have a collaborative agreement involving sharing of technology and some models.

In some Asian markets, some Suzuki models have Toyota versions, and for Europe, Suzuki have a version of the Corolla Touring Sport (badged as the Suzuki Swace - built at Toyota Derby) and a version of the Rav4 plug in hybrid (modified front panels and badged as the Suzuki Across - built by Toyota Japan). Toyota will also have access to a Suzuki engine for compact models, to be built at Toyota Poland.

Additionally car manufacturers who sell in the EU also have to meet a fleet average of 95 grams per kilometre of CO2 emissions. If their fleet average comes above this figure they face quite hefty fines. The Swace and Across will help Suzuki to meet this figure and avoid fines.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a little surprised many years ago when I noticed the engine in my Corolla T-Sport had SUZUKI cast into the block. I know their expertise with specialised coatings and Nicasil linings had been used but I didn't quite expect that.

The last two services on my 2010 Auris have the Oil filter itemised as a Daihatsu part number and description... and apparently the 1.33L was designed in collaboration with Daihatsu.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mooly said:

I was a little surprised many years ago when I noticed the engine in my Corolla T-Sport had SUZUKI cast into the block. I know their expertise with specialised coatings and Nicasil linings had been used but I didn't quite expect that.

 

I looked under the bonnet of a Nissan Cherry (early 80s) and found it had an Alpha Romeo engine, apparently Cherry's built in Italy were fitted with AlphaSud engines and transmissions.  It was a way of circumventing import controls on Japanese cars at the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Toyota became a major shareholder in Daihatsu in 1967, a majority shareholder 1998, and bought the whole company in 2016. The 1.0 engine used in the Aygo, Yaris, Sirion, etc was also co-developed with Daihatsu, and historically there has been a sharing of some models between the two for a number of years - eg: Daihatsu Boon/Sirion and Toyota Passo, Toyota Prius+ and Daihatsu Mebius, etc. Daihatsu also produce Toyota's small kei cars for sale in Japan and Asia - Toyota Pixis, Pixis Epoch, Pixis Joy, etc.

The Alfa Romeo Arna/Nissan Cherry Europe had the body panels made by Nissan In Japan and mechanicals and final assembly by Alfa in Italy. Suffered from poor build quality and reliability. The arrangement was ended when Fiat bought Alfa Romeo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Mum was involved in market research for the Alfa Sud and I can remember sitting on the Alfa Stand with her at the 71 or 72? Earls Court Motor show, a 12 year old car nuts dream🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rambler56 said:

I looked under the bonnet of a Nissan Cherry (early 80s) and found it had an Alpha Romeo engine, apparently Cherry's built in Italy were fitted with AlphaSud engines and transmissions.  It was a way of circumventing import controls on Japanese cars at the time.

That car was built in Naples and known in Italy as the Alfa Romeo Arna.

Yamaha also have a history of collaboration with Toyota, Lexus and others, with regards to engine design and building.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bodga said:

On my travels today I noticed in my rear view mirror what I thought was a Corolla gaining on me on the M5. As it passed I clocked a Suzuki emblem on the tailgate instead of Toyota and Swace at the bottom right hand corner. 

Quick search on the internet and yes They are on Suzuki website. 

https://cars.suzuki.co.uk/new-cars/swace/

Does anyone know what going on here?🤨

Looking at the website, the Suzuki version doesn't look bad at all. And, unlike the Corolla, it has blind spot monitoring according to the SZ5 specs!

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

... but only a three year warranty

Yes, I noticed that too. And of course, it's not a Corolla... 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stivino said:

Yamaha also have a history of collaboration with Toyota, Lexus and others, with regards to engine design and building.

You have me wondering now... I said my T-Sport had Suzuki cast into the block... and it might actually have been Yamaha. I know the tie up was to get their expertise on high revving engines and the special cylinder coatings that went along with that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Suzuki Corolla might be a cheaper option as used car after 3 years since manufacturer warranty expires and been sold under Suzuki brand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mooly said:

You have me wondering now... I said my T-Sport had Suzuki cast into the block... and it might actually have been Yamaha. I know the tie up was to get their expertise on high revving engines and the special cylinder coatings that went along with that.

 

This is an interesting article, Yamaha has produced for Toyota and Ford, and a sports car, plus had an engine in a F1 car (failed project).

https://gtspirit.com/2011/09/25/remarkable-cars-yamaha-ox99-11-the-super-car-that-never-was/#:~:text=Currently the motorized vehicle-producing,engines%2C personal watercraft and snowmobiles.&text=And they did%2C but this,only Yamaha supercar was forgotten.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership